Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Terminology Topics for specific Novels can be found here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Post by denormative »

Kuratatsu wrote:Well I looked it up again and found this example sentence: 笄(こうがい;「髪掻き」の転訛)とは、髪を掻き揚げて髷を形作る装飾的な結髪用具。
The 'Kogai' (Traditional Hairpin accessory) is decorative hairdressing implement used for lifting hair into a bun shape. So I guess you can change it to her lifting her hair then or standing it. I really have no idea on hair terminologies, reminds me of that twin tails thread. :lol:
"put her hair up" (English verb usage is weird.) Would never have guessed that without looking at the dictionary, but it seems obvious when looking at the words. With 掻く being "to shovel" and 揚げる is used in the "to do up (one's hair)" sense, you get an image of "scooping up her hair in her hands and 'raising' it, putting it up".
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Excuse me, but how can you translate this "覇凰決戦": it's the title of Gakusen vol5
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

setsuna86 wrote:Excuse me, but how can you translate this "覇凰決戦": it's the title of Gakusen vol5
Phoenix Champion's Decisive Battle?

"Champion" "Phoenix" the followed by something that means "final match" or "deciding match" or "final battle", and so forth. I guess "Phoenix Champion Play-offs" would be most accurate since it covers both semi and final, finals. Maybe just pluralise it to "Decisive Battles" (or whatever), since Play-offs sounds... insufficiently grandiose for a title. >.>
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Sorry but how can you translate this ルインシャレフ. It's the name of the lux used by Rimsi.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

setsuna86 wrote:Sorry but how can you translate this ルインシャレフ. It's the name of the lux used by Rimsi.
Is this the giant hammer? (I think that's what he wielded last volume...) First part makes sense to be 'Ruin', but the last bit I can't untangle. There's dozens of possible words, but none of them make sense. :(
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

denormative wrote:
setsuna86 wrote:Sorry but how can you translate this ルインシャレフ. It's the name of the lux used by Rimsi.
Is this the giant hammer? (I think that's what he wielded last volume...) First part makes sense to be 'Ruin', but the last bit I can't untangle. There's dozens of possible words, but none of them make sense. :(
No, the giant hammer is the weapon used by Ardi. This is a gun type lux used by Rimsi. By the way 八ンマー is the name of the lux used by Ardi. Can you help me also translating it?
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

How can you translate this: デカブツ? I understand what it means, but I seem not find words to describe it in english. :?

There also ウォル二ール, ウォルフドーラ; and the two are the names of weapons.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Excuse me, but can you please help me with the translation of this terms:
Spoiler! :
鎧装の魔術師 (ブライトウエン), the word in brackets being the furigana.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Oops... missed all this. :(
setsuna86 wrote:No, the giant hammer is the weapon used by Ardi. This is a gun type lux used by Rimsi. By the way 八ンマー is the name of the lux used by Ardi. Can you help me also translating it?
Are you sure that's not a katakana ha, rather then a hachi? ハンマー is literally... "Hammer". :? If we're going to use it, we might as well give it a prefix and call it "The Hammer" since it's not just 'a' hammer, but 'the' one. :)
setsuna86 wrote:How can you translate this: デカブツ? I understand what it means, but I seem not find words to describe it in english. :?
Doesn't it just mean 'huge' or 'enormous'? Given it's a portmanteau, you could use "Ginormous" (though that's British slang rather then US; but it's not as if anyone will notice :P ).
setsuna86 wrote:There also ウォル二ール, ウォルフドーラ; and the two are the names of weapons.
Hrm... no idea. :? Sounds like the ウォル is a common prefix, "Wol" or something. :( "Wol Neal/Neil/Neel" and "Wol Fdora"?
setsuna86 wrote:Excuse me, but can you please help me with the translation of this terms:
Spoiler! :
"Armoured Magician" or "Battlemage" (this would probably be the colloquial term you'd find in English fantasy for this description).

Are you sure it isn't supposed to be ブライトウェン? The kindle version isn't out yet so I can't check. :( Anyway, that would be "Brightween" I guess, but I've no idea what the reference is to. :(
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

denormative wrote:Oops... missed all this. :(
setsuna86 wrote:No, the giant hammer is the weapon used by Ardi. This is a gun type lux used by Rimsi. By the way 八ンマー is the name of the lux used by Ardi. Can you help me also translating it?
Are you sure that's not a katakana ha, rather then a hachi? ハンマー is literally... "Hammer". :? If we're going to use it, we might as well give it a prefix and call it "The Hammer" since it's not just 'a' hammer, but 'the' one. :)
setsuna86 wrote:How can you translate this: デカブツ? I understand what it means, but I seem not find words to describe it in english. :?
Doesn't it just mean 'huge' or 'enormous'? Given it's a portmanteau, you could use "Ginormous" (though that's British slang rather then US; but it's not as if anyone will notice :P ).
setsuna86 wrote:There also ウォル二ール, ウォルフドーラ; and the two are the names of weapons.
Hrm... no idea. :? Sounds like the ウォル is a common prefix, "Wol" or something. :( "Wol Neal/Neil/Neel" and "Wol Fdora"?
setsuna86 wrote:Excuse me, but can you please help me with the translation of this terms:
Spoiler! :
"Armoured Magician" or "Battlemage" (this would probably be the colloquial term you'd find in English fantasy for this description).

Are you sure it isn't supposed to be ブライトウェン? The kindle version isn't out yet so I can't check. :( Anyway, that would be "Brightween" I guess, but I've no idea what the reference is to. :(
Thanks!
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

I have problem with the translation of <戦律の魔女(シグルドリーヴ or シグルドリーヴ)>.

-I search for the words 戦律 and I find 戦律のストラタス the name of the game which means in english Terror of the Stratus. And I don't know if I can conclude that 戦律 can be translated Terror; but if so, then I came up with: 戦律の魔女 - Witch of Terror.
However, literally I get Witch of The War Law. Which one is right?

-As for シグルドリーヴ or シグルドリーヴ; if it's シグルドリーヴ, then the translation is Sigrdrifa (from google). But if it's シグルドリーヴ, then I don't know how to translate. What do you think?
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Any idea on the English title for v6? 懐国凱戦/せいこくがいせん is somewhat painful to pull apart.

I can't find any reading for 懐国 that are せいこく, but 靖国 ("pacifying the nation") is read that way; otherwise the first two kanji are http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E6%87%90 "feelings/yearnings/missing someone/heart" and "country". Any idea from the story content what translation of the 懐 kanji would be best?

がいせん can be "triumphant return" with the characters 凱旋, otherwise the last two are "victory song" and "battle/war/match".
Kuratatsu
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kuratatsu »

Oh wow I didn't even noticed this thread got updated, well first, I don't know where did you get the せい part for 懐 since I only see it being used as かい in most cases. As for 懐国 itself, I really have no idea but the "bosom/heart" + "country" reminds me of homeland or homesickness. For 凱戦, since the synopses of vol6 mentions a "優勝凱旋パレード" I would take a guess that a battle breaks out during the parade so "returning battle"? I'm not up to date on this series so I'm just pulling straws here :lol:.

Return to “Novel Series Terminology”