Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Terminology Topics for specific Novels can be found here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Post by Detalz »

Yea, 門派 refers to a sect/school of doctrine.

@Kuratatsu
では and じゃ are synonymous to one another and can be used interchangably. じゃない is more often used in speech than narrative and is considered less formal than ではない. Other than that, there's really no difference between them.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

How can you transalate this 拳士? I simply translate it fist warrior. I don't know if I can use martial artists.
Anyway, I only know that 拳士 refers to someone, who mainly Train on Taijutsu.

There is also the title of volume 4 追憶闘破; 追憶 means Recollection, but I don't know what 闘破 means :? . Can you also help me there?
Kuratatsu
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kuratatsu »

I always thought of the first one as the fist version of swordsman i.e. brawler, since there was a kensei of taijutsu using the fist kanji, I see it can be fist master though. The second one I only found an example in 闘破雷撃 for breaking thunder, would be a weird title though.
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

Naming sense really differs between Jp/Eng languages. Sometimes what's mentioned in one is inferred in the other/left out. I'd go with "Recollection Shatter" or something along those lines for 追憶闘破.

Edit: Woops, fixed. Thanks for catching that Kuratatsu. Was a bit distracted when I was posting this and copied the wrong term. :oops:
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

Yeah I also was thinking of like shattered recollection, I think you meant to say 追憶闘破 though, raigeki is being struck by lightning :lol:
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

How can you translate that Bloom proudly──六弁の爆焔花・二輪咲 (アマリリス デユオフロース)! ? ( we already know that Bloom proudly──六弁の爆焔花・二輪咲 (アマリリス)! means Bloom proudly ── Six-Petal Burst Firebloom (Amaryllis)!)?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

They both pretty much mean the same thing
二輪: two wheels/flowers
咲: bloom, blossom
デュオ・フロース: Duo Flos; where flos is latin for flower or blossom
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Kuratatsu wrote:They both pretty much mean the same thing
Thanks, but can you try to put all that together, please?
BTW, there is also that 綻べ──赤壁の断焔華(ロロペタルム)!. I translate it as such Come out ── Red Wall Shear Flame Flower (loropetalum)!. So I don't know if it's good. Can you please check?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

setsuna86 wrote:
Thanks, but can you try to put all that together, please?
BTW, there is also that 綻べ──赤壁の断焔華(ロロペタルム)!. I translate it as such Come out ── Red Wall Shear Flame Flower (loropetalum)!. So I don't know if it's good. Can you please check?
Sure, if you just want me to reword it:
Bloom proudly ── Six-Petal Burst Firebloom - Twin Blooming Flowers (Amaryllis Duo Flos)
The 'twin' can be reworded to double or dual, whatever sounds better :roll:
The second one looks correct, if you want it reworded hmm..the problem is where to put Flower
Red Flower Wall of Shearing Flames (Loropetalum)
Red Wall of Shearing Flower Flames
Red Shearing Flower Wall of Flames
Okay I give up, my head is starting to hurt :|
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Kuratatsu wrote:
setsuna86 wrote:Thanks, but can you try to put all that together, please?
Sure, if you just want me to reword it:
Bloom proudly ── Six-Petal Burst Firebloom - Twin Blooming Flowers (Amaryllis Duo Flos)
The 'twin' can be reworded to double or dual, whatever sounds better :roll:
The second one looks correct, if you want it reworded hmm..the problem is where to put Flower
Red Flower Wall of Shearing Flames (Loropetalum)
Red Wall of Shearing Flower Flames
Red Shearing Flower Wall of Flames
Okay I give up, my head is starting to hurt :|
IMO, "shearing" is what you do to sheep. :P

Anyway, there's a 'no' in there so it's easiest just to follow basic grammar: "Red Wall of Shearing Flame Petals (Loropetalum)" and obligatory wikipedia link to a picture of the flower for the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loropetalum
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Thanks. By the way, how can you translate those two words <幻映創起> (げんえいそうき) and <幻映霧散> (げんえいむさん)? I think that there are the nicknames of the twins of World Dragon.
There are also These words (chapter 3):
Spoiler! :
1- リーゼルタニア - Rieseltania (check if this is correct)
2- <Venomous Witch> (エレンシユキーガル)
3- 六万神殿 (ヘキサ・パンテオン)
4- 詩の蜜酒(オドレリール)
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

setsuna86 wrote:Thanks. By the way, how can you translate those two words <幻映創起> (げんえいそうき) and <幻映霧散> (げんえいむさん)? I think that there are the nicknames of the twins of World Dragon.
There are also These words (chapter 3):
Spoiler! :
1- リーゼルタニア - Rieseltania (check if this is correct)
2- <Venomous Witch> (エレンシユキーガル)
3- 六万神殿 (ヘキサ・パンテオン)
4- 詩の蜜酒(オドレリール)
1 - リーゼルタニア is this a single word? リーゼル is Leizel/Leisel. And タニア is Tanya. Otherwise we're stuck with "Rizerutania".

Poking around Japanese sites, indicates that 2 should be エレンシュキーガル (it's the standard issue that they tend not to use the small ya/yu/yo in ruby), so "Erenshukigaru"; I'm at a loss for what it means though. The "garu" at the end could be the standard Japanese "Gal", but the rest...

3 - 六万神殿 (ヘキサ・パンテオン) Literally it's "Sixty Thousand Temple (Hex Pantheon)" however 万 can mean many/all, which if it's not used as a multiplier of 10,000, so it could be something like "Six Sided Temple", which would match the "Hex" part better. Honestly at this point is where we need a native Japanese speaker to come in and explain how they would interpret it at first glance. :?

4 - The only sane reference for オドレリール I could find was in the "Fairy Museum" here: http://www.fairy-link.net/fy_yousei_detail.php If anyone has a copy of the "Encyclopaedia of Fairyology" (井村 君江【著】「妖精学大全」より) (awful amazon.jp url here), and they can describe what the heck this particular critter looks like I can try to find a sane name; it's probably something obscurely Celtic, all odd fae seem to be. >.<

So, umm, "Poem's Mead (Odolelilu)" (the Welsh like their 'l's; and slavonic apparently has a word 'odoleli' (conjugation of odoleti?) and they have a pretty strong fae folklore).

Now I think about it 1 could be pulled from Slavic folklore as well, but I can't see a reference at first glance. :(

As to Mr's <幻映創起> and <幻映霧散> these can't be translated without context really, there's way too many interpretations that are all somewhat different, and I didn't get anywhere with a quick translation of the surrounding sentences. If you need a translation, I'd go with "Dream(or Illusion) Projection Genesis Arising" and "Dream (or again, Illusion) Projection Fog Dispersing".
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

The second one was already asked before and the end result was エレシュキガル Ereshkigal (probably a typo like Priscilla/Priscilal).
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Thanks. BTW, How can you translate that 蝕武祭? When I translate it, I have something like Food (maybe eclipse :?: :?: ) Warrior Festival. Isn't it funny? :?
For reference, it's apparently an Underground Meeting for those, who are not satisfied with the Festa and seek more Stimulus. Apparently Ayato's sister has also been there.
MysterySteve
Astral Realm

Post by MysterySteve »

Aside from eclipse after some looking around I found it could also mean 'defective' and 'occultation' so maybe something along those lines will fit the context better.

Return to “Novel Series Terminology”