Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Terminology Topics for specific Novels can be found here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Post by setsuna86 »

Kuratatsu wrote:
setsuna86 wrote:Need help with this 咲き誇れ──重波の焔鳳花!.
Literally: Bloom proudly──Flame Phoenix Flower of Heavy Waves
My preference: Blazing Phoenix Flower of Piling Torrents or Torrential Flaming Phoenix Flower, it's annoying to word honestly. By the way, I just noticed "Bloom proudly" is translated as "Come into bloom" in vol 1 chapter 1.
When I have translated, it's me, who writes it; well I forget to edit it after explanation that "bloom proudly" was better.
BTW I forget to ask how to translate ラナンキュロス. It's the furigana of 重波の焔鳳花. I propose Ranuncurose. What do you think?
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

setsuna86 wrote:When I have translated, it's me, who writes it; well I forget to edit it after explanation that "bloom proudly" was better.
BTW I forget to ask how to translate ラナンキュロス. It's the furigana of 重波の焔鳳花. I propose Ranuncurose. What do you think?
Close. "Ranunculus": http://www.hana300.com/ranank.html

It comes in a nice, pure red variant as well, that was just the first google hit. They actually appear quite variegated: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Ranu ... 83&bih=806

</botany>
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Sorry, but can you help me translate this 知っているなら知っているで隠しておけば良いものを、わざわざ広まるようにリークするとはとんだ嫌がらせをしてくれる. I just want to be sure if it matches with my translation.
Kuratatsu
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kuratatsu »

setsuna86 wrote:Sorry, but can you help me translate this 知っているなら知っているで隠しておけば良いものを、わざわざ広まるようにリークするとはとんだ嫌がらせをしてくれる. I just want to be sure if it matches with my translation.
I don't mind giving it a try for fun:
If (you/I) knew and then hid the fact that (you/I) knew and it was purposefully leaked in order to propagate then (I can/you can) severely harass (you/me)?. Yeah...I have no idea what I just wrote :lol: I'd go with your translation as they're usually good.
Kouen no Ten
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kouen no Ten »

setsuna86 wrote:Sorry, but can you help me translate this 知っているなら知っているで隠しておけば良いものを、わざわざ広まるようにリークするとはとんだ嫌がらせをしてくれる. I just want to be sure if it matches with my translation.
"It would have been fine if (you/he/she/they) kept what (you/he/she/they) knew as a secret, but to purposefully leak it as though to propagate it, (you/he/she/they) did quite the harassment."

I could be more precise, if you could provide the context.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Kuratatsu wrote:
I don't mind giving it a try for fun:
If (you/I) knew and then hid the fact that (you/I) knew and it was purposefully leaked in order to propagate then (I can/you can) severely harass (you/me)?. Yeah...I have no idea what I just wrote :lol: I'd go with your translation as they're usually good.
Kouen no Ten wrote:
"It would have been fine if (you/he/she/they) kept what (you/he/she/they) knew as a secret, but to purposefully leak it as though to propagate it, (you/he/she/they) did quite the harassment."

I could be more precise, if you could provide the context.
Thanks to both of you, with this, I have my confirmation since it's almost with what I had; but I think I will use Kouen no Ten's translation.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Excuse me, but in this これはAyatoとSayaの間でのみ通用するticketで、いわゆる『肩たたき券』と同様のものだ。, how can you translate that 『肩たたき券』? I translate it as help ticket (with some reference online), but I'm not so sure :?
Kouen no Ten
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kouen no Ten »

setsuna86 wrote:Excuse me, but in this これはAyatoとSayaの間でのみ通用するticketで、いわゆる『肩たたき券』と同様のものだ。, how can you translate that 『肩たたき券』? I translate it as help ticket (with some reference online), but I'm not so sure :?
Shoulder massage coupon, or Coupon for shoulder massage.

The former is more conventionally used.

One more thing, depending on context "coupon" should be changed to "coupons".
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Once again, can you help me with this: 天霧辰明流奥伝が一つ、〝逆羅刹〟. The last proposal was One of ‘Amagiri Bright Dragon Style’ esoteric, <Reverse Type of Evil Spirits>. Does someone have another proposal?
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

setsuna86 wrote:Once again, can you help me with this: 天霧辰明流奥伝が一つ、〝逆羅刹〟. The last proposal was One of ‘Amagiri Bright Dragon Style’ esoteric, <Reverse Type of Evil Spirits>. Does someone have another proposal?
"First 'Amagiri Bright Dragon Style' Hidden Technique, <Banish Evil Spirits>"

I can see how you went from 奥 to 'esoteric', but it sounds a little odd to me; either works though. Also the 伝 'Technique' was missing.

羅刹 is literally a 'man-eating evil spirit' (a Rakshasa), but unless they're talking about a Rakshasa, 'evil spirit' is close enough. :) (Also 'Banish', unless he's actually turning an evil-spirit into a good-spirit. :? )
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

denormative wrote:
setsuna86 wrote:Once again, can you help me with this: 天霧辰明流奥伝が一つ、〝逆羅刹〟. The last proposal was One of ‘Amagiri Bright Dragon Style’ esoteric, <Reverse Type of Evil Spirits>. Does someone have another proposal?
"First 'Amagiri Bright Dragon Style' Hidden Technique, <Banish Evil Spirits>"

I can see how you went from 奥 to 'esoteric', but it sounds a little odd to me; either works though. Also the 伝 'Technique' was missing.

羅刹 is literally a 'man-eating evil spirit' (a Rakshasa), but unless they're talking about a Rakshasa, 'evil spirit' is close enough. :) (Also 'Banish', unless he's actually turning an evil-spirit into a good-spirit. :? )
Thanks, I think this makes more sense. :)
BTW, how can you translate this 「急急如律令、勅!」 in this contest:
Spoiler! :
「急急如律令、勅!」

As ShenYun’s hands made complex symbolic signs with the fingers, the surrounding space swayed in slow motion. And at the next moment from around the stage, a dense smoke gushed out with a tremendous force.
I translate it as Ji ji ru lu ling, chi!. :?: What do you think?
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hiyono »

It's a Taoist incantation. If you're just asking for the transliteration, then that's pretty much correct. It should be "lü" instead of "lu", though.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Spoiler! :
Then, ShenHua’s voice, who seemed quite happy, resounded behind Julis.

Julis looked back with a surprised face, but it was too late.

「招雷!」

“Aaaaaaaah!”

A thunder stroke gushed along with a fierce lightning and a shock as to tear off Julis’ body ran through. It was ShenHua’s Star Senjutsu.
Please help me translate 招雷 in this contest.
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

setsuna86 wrote:
Spoiler! :

「招雷!」

“Aaaaaaaah!”

A thunder stroke gushed along with a fierce lightning and a shock as to tear off Julis’ body ran through. It was ShenHua’s Star Senjutsu.
I can't think of any flashy two-word move names that sound good. How about "I invoke upon thunder!"/ "I call forth thunder!" ?

And it might be easier and faster to just post all the problems(or possibly limit them to 3-5 in a post) in a chapter rather than post one, and wait until someone answers it, before posting another.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Detalz wrote:
setsuna86 wrote:
Spoiler! :

「招雷!」

“Aaaaaaaah!”

I can't think of any flashy two-word move names that sound good. How about "I invoke upon thunder!"/ "I call forth thunder!" ?

And it might be easier and faster to just post all the problems(or possibly limit them to 3-5 in a post) in a chapter rather than post one, and wait until someone answers it, before posting another.
Yes, I will do so.

Return to “Novel Series Terminology”