Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Terminology Topics for specific Novels can be found here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kuratatsu
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Post by Kuratatsu »

setsuna86 wrote:
Yes, I will do so.
Since there's so many translators here how about you also put those lines you want tlc'd here too? It would probably be way faster :lol:.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Excuse with this, but in this sentence Ayatoは心の中で俯瞰するように自分自身を眺めてみた。 how can you translate this part 俯瞰するように, so that it fit well with the sentence?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

I went with "Ayato had looked at himself in his mind in order to examine himself."
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Kuratatsu wrote:I went with "Ayato had looked at himself in his mind in order to examine himself."
You're missing the important 俯瞰 part, which is a 'bird's-eye view' or an 'overview'. I'm not sure if 心の中 should be "inside his heart" (I'm guessing it's implying his 'feelings'?) or "inside his mind" (context required); but the implication of the sentence seems to be that Ayato is looking dispassionately, as if he were a 3rd person, from 'outside' himself at his heart/mind to evaluate something.

Can't really suggest the sentence pattern, as I'd write it differently if he were "examining his thoughts/plans" vs "examining his feelings/heart".
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

denormative wrote:
Kuratatsu wrote:I went with "Ayato had looked at himself in his mind in order to examine himself."
You're missing the important 俯瞰 part, which is a 'bird's-eye view' or an 'overview'. I'm not sure if 心の中 should be "inside his heart" (I'm guessing it's implying his 'feelings'?) or "inside his mind" (context required); but the implication of the sentence seems to be that Ayato is looking dispassionately, as if he were a 3rd person, from 'outside' himself at his heart/mind to evaluate something.

Can't really suggest the sentence pattern, as I'd write it differently if he were "examining his thoughts/plans" vs "examining his feelings/heart".
Can I use the word introspection here?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

denormative wrote:

Your right, I was going to use "overlook" instead of examine, but it sounds weird in english, also I was thinking of "in his heart" before I saw context:
Spoiler! :
Ayato had looked at himself in his mind in order to overlook/examine himself. In regards to the binding chains of imprisonment which admonished Ayato ── upon close inspection, three locks had been applied there. The first lock had been forcibly broken in order for it to be opened. At first glance, one could see that it was violently broken in such a way that it was unrestorable. <!-- Ayatoは心の中で俯瞰するように自分自身を眺めてみた。Ayatoを戒める禁獄の縛鎖──よくよく見ると、そこには三つの錠が施されている。その一つ目の錠は、無理矢理こじ開けられたように壊されていた。一目見ただけで修復不能とわかるような、酷い壊れ方だ。
I haven't read the chapter but from what I understand he's looking at the seal inside himself in his mind? Well maybe you can word it better since setsuna wants that part done correctly.
Edit: Spoiler tags, just in case
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

Kuratatsu was actually pretty close, or at least I thought so. 俯瞰するように is a descriptive modifier that I feel is rarely incorporated into English descriptions, but rather inherently implied. Introspection can be used, but I think its descriptively lacking, and I can't think of any adjectives that might compensate for this insufficiency to describe the modifier. Here are two I propose:

1) Ayato looked deep within himself. (Basically a condensed version of Kuratatsu's)
2) Ayato examined himself within his mind's eye.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Detalz wrote:Kuratatsu was actually pretty close, or at least I thought so. 俯瞰するように is a descriptive modifier that I feel is rarely incorporated into English descriptions, but rather inherently implied.
Fair enough. It just felt strange that dropping the 3rd-person+intent from the phrase. But I guess adding the 'deep' works.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Please help me with just that for the time being: 四十一式煌型粒子双砲ヴァルデンホルト. It's the name of the lux Saya uses in the fight against the puppets of Allekant.
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

setsuna86 wrote:Please help me with just that for the time being: 四十一式煌型粒子双砲ヴァルデンホルト. It's the name of the lux Saya uses in the fight against the puppets of Allekant.
Some options I see are Type 41 - Gleaming Form - Twin Particle Guns "Waldenholt" or Type 41 - Scintillating Form - Dual Particulate Cannons
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

How can you translate the japanese part here?
Spoiler! :
“Fortunately, his brain was safe, so now he built an atelier in the house with the compensation money and connected it with the central unit (of his brain).………………………………………………”<!-- 本人的には慣れてしまえば生身の頃より精密な作業がこなせるようになったので、満足らしい-->
This will be the last thing I ask for vol 4 in order to complete it on BT.
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

Hmm...something along the lines of "He's actually happy, now that he can move make more precise movements than he could with his actual body after some getting used to. "
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

Anyone know what the "ばさりと掻き揚げ" means in "Ernestよりも色の濃い黄金の巻き髪をばさりと掻き揚げ" cause from what I read 掻き揚げ is shrimp and vegetable fritters :|
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Kuratatsu wrote:Anyone know what the "ばさりと掻き揚げ" means in "Ernestよりも色の濃い黄金の巻き髪をばさりと掻き揚げ" cause from what I read 掻き揚げ is shrimp and vegetable fritters :|
I think here you must separate 掻き (meaning scratch) from 揚げ (raise). So 掻き 揚げ, which could mean scratch or something. I don't know well myself. :?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

Well I looked it up again and found this example sentence: 笄(こうがい;「髪掻き」の転訛)とは、髪を掻き揚げて髷を形作る装飾的な結髪用具。
The 'Kogai' (Traditional Hairpin accessory) is decorative hairdressing implement used for lifting hair into a bun shape. So I guess you can change it to her lifting her hair then or standing it. I really have no idea on hair terminologies, reminds me of that twin tails thread. :lol:

Return to “Novel Series Terminology”