Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Terminology Topics for specific Novels can be found here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kuratatsu
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Post by Kuratatsu »

I hate typing with a cellphone :? but let's see, the first is technically also chakram, lit. War Ring so Ring of War for alternative name. Second one I like Heavy Reed Prison and kata is Orreaga.百葬重列 rearranged is hundred fold funeral procession which is related to Guestia or Santa Compaña. No idea on 矢汰烏 right now, Amagiri Bright Dragon Style Swordsmanship, Sword Intermediate Technique--Serene Inner Shell (I think inner mind would've been better). Glorious rending flame claw flower...such a mouthful, great sparkling bomb ring flower...I can't reword these two :? Edit: I'm positive yatagarasu is an allusion to the mythological bird but the actual kanji are Arrow Scouring/Clearing Crow
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

I begin the translation of vol4 chap 1. For the time being, how can you translate:

-this name 趙虎峰(ジヤオフーフオン)? I translate it as Zhao Hefong.
-<万有天羅>. It's apparently a nickname given to the master/head (?) of World Dragon.
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

ジヤオフーフオン: Zhao Fufeng
万有: all things, all creation, universal
天羅: Everything in Heaven and Earth
Both together seem redundant, I would go with "all creations between heaven-earth" personally.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

范星露: Fan XingLu
趙虎峰: Zhao HuFeng
黎沈雲: Li ShenYun
黎沈華: Li ShenHua

Incidentally, v4 images clarify some other things as well:
Landy Hooke -> Randy Hooke (I actually did consider this personally, but I figured getting the name right was beyond the Japanese. Guess I was wrong.)
Ardi -> AR-D ("Absolute Refusal" Defended-type)
Rimsi -> RM-C ("Ruinous Might" Cannon-type)
Priscilla -> Priscilal
Madeus Mesa -> Madiath Mesa
Yanase Miko (should be an OG of Queen Veil, not World Dragon)
Pham Thi Châm -> Pham Thi Tram (might just be a transliteration difference?)
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Hiyono wrote:范星露: Fan XingLu
趙虎峰: Zhao HuFeng
黎沈雲: Li ShenYun
黎沈華: Li ShenHua

Incidentally, v4 images clarify some other things as well:
Landy Hooke -> Randy Hooke (I actually did consider this personally, but I figured getting the name right was beyond the Japanese. Guess I was wrong.)
Ardi -> AR-D ("Absolute Refusal" Defended-type)
Rimsi -> RM-C ("Ruinous Might" Cannon-type)
Priscilla -> Priscilal
Madeus Mesa -> Madiath Mesa
Yanase Miko (should be an OG of Queen Veil, not World Dragon)
Pham Thi Châm -> Pham Thi Tram (might just be a transliteration difference?)
Thanks for the names; and one more Thing: actually, according to what I translate, Yanase Miko is the Reporter and Pham Thi Tram, is the commentator, who is an OG of World Dragon; where did you read that Tram was an OG of Queen Veil? Here is the sentence I took from vol3, which says that Pham Thi Tram is an OG of World Dragon: 実況はABCアナウンサーであるわたくし梁瀬ミーコ、解説は界龍(ジエロン)第七学院OGであり、現エグゼクティブ・アラドファルの部隊長であるファム・ティ・チャムさんでお送りしまーす; trying to translate some characters on this sentence, we have:
-梁瀬ミーコ: Yanase Miko
-龍(ジエロン)第七学院: World Dragon Seventh Institute
-エグゼクティブ・アラドファル: Executive Aladfar
-ファム・ティ・チャムさん: Pham Thi Châm-san.
There is no Queen Veil. :?

And you can try to translate the sentence; I think you will understand it just as I did.

By the way, where did you find the Translation of the names Madiath Mesa, Pham Thi Tram and Zhao HuFeng? I ask so, because I want to see if there are also there the terminology of other names I look for (like for example <万有天羅>).
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

I just checked and it does say Queen Viel OG for miko, also cham & tram are just slightly different ways to say the name. http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/image ... _00016.jpg
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Kuratatsu wrote:I just checked and it does say Queen Viel OG for miko, also cham & tram are just slightly different ways to say the name. http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/image ... _00016.jpg
That's right. So that means Queen Veil for Yanase Miko, and World Dragon for Pham Thi Tram, right?
Well, I did never say that Ayanase Miko was an OG of World Dragon; I just say that Pham Thi Tram was an OG of World Dragon. So misunderstand resolved. Thanks!! :D
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

Yeah, I think you just misunderstood, Hiyono wasn't saying Tram was a Queen Viel OG :lol:
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Excuse me, I begin the Translation of ch1 vol 4 and I'm slightly confused on one Point; can you translate this sentence for me:

とてもではないが、なにも知らない者にはこの童女がAsterisk最大の規模を誇るWorld Dragon Seventh Instituteの序列一位、 <万有天羅>の萢星露だとは信じられないだろう。

I translate it as such:

It might not look like it, but for those, who did not know anything, it would be probably unbelievable that this little girl was the rank #1 of World Dragon Seventh Institute, which boasted of the largest scale of Asterisk, Fan XingLu of <万有天羅>.

What do you think (I don't know yet how to translate <万有天羅> :? )?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

I think とてもではないが is more like "definitely, surely" everything else looks fine.
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

とても indicates definitiveness, so とてもではない would indicate the opposite.

This is how I would word it: "It wasn't exactly too far-fetched, but for those who knew nothing, they would likely find it hard to believe that this small girl was Fan XingLu of <Heavenly Creations(?)>, ranking first in the World Dragon Seventh Institute."

You seem to have decided to omit Asterisk最大の規模を誇る, so I'll also omit it here, since it makes the sentence excessively wordy when included.

My guess for 万有天羅 would be 'Heavenly Creations', though I ended up inverting the first two and last two characters and I'm not too sure...It appears to be an organization? Or is it a title belonging to her? Depending on what exactly 万有天羅 is and how this 'World Dragon Seventh Institute' is structured, the sentence can either mean that 万有天羅 is the top ranking organization/group in the 'Institute' and Fan XingLu is part of it, or that Fan XingLu ranks top in the institute and she is part of this group(assuming 万有天羅 is not a title). Unfortunately, I haven't read this novel, so I can't give an exact confirmation. I've worded my translation such that it preserves this ambiguity, so it can be slightly improved on.

You and Hiyono have my utmost respect for braving through and translating this series. Translating from Chinese would probably be a lot easier, though still a pain to transliterate into English.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Detalz wrote:とても indicates definitiveness, so とてもではない would indicate the opposite.

This is how I would word it: "It wasn't exactly too far-fetched, but for those who knew nothing, they would likely find it hard to believe that this small girl was Fan XingLu of <Heavenly Creations(?)>, ranking first in the World Dragon Seventh Institute."

You seem to have decided to omit Asterisk最大の規模を誇る, so I'll also omit it here, since it makes the sentence excessively wordy when included.

My guess for 万有天羅 would be 'Heavenly Creations', though I ended up inverting the first two and last two characters and I'm not too sure...It appears to be an organization? Or is it a title belonging to her? Depending on what exactly 万有天羅 is and how this 'World Dragon Seventh Institute' is structured, the sentence can either mean that 万有天羅 is the top ranking organization/group in the 'Institute' and Fan XingLu is part of it, or that Fan XingLu ranks top in the institute and she is part of this group(assuming 万有天羅 is not a title). Unfortunately, I haven't read this novel, so I can't give an exact confirmation. I've worded my translation such that it preserves this ambiguity, so it can be slightly improved on.

You and Hiyono have my utmost respect for braving through and translating this series. Translating from Chinese would probably be a lot easier, though still a pain to transliterate into English.
It appears to be a title belonging to her. Here is a sentence, which showed it:
それは<万有天羅>の二つ名を継ぎし者。
How can you translation it (I don't know if it might help you, but the furigana of <万有天羅> is ばんゆうてんら)?
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

Ah, I see. Yep, it's definitely a title. I still can't say for sure how to translate it though. I have a general idea, but I'd normally use the previous few sentences that describe what the title represents to decide the naming. Maybe <Divine Revelations> would be more appropriate than <Heavenly Creations>.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

I think in this chapter, they are many words; which I don't know how to translate so that is make in the sentence :? . For example in this sentence:

数百人の門弟を抱える門派もあるのだ

How can you translate 門派?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

From what I understand, "There are also sect(s) having several hundred followers"; 門派 seem to mean either "sect" or "tradition"
@Detalz, is there any difference between とてもではないが and てともじゃないが?

Return to “Novel Series Terminology”