PDF Generation

Wish to express your thanks and salutations? And PDF's? Find your Novel Series topic here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Re: PDF Generation

Post by Rohan123 »

arczyx wrote:
The First wrote:Just did a little surfing and discovered that Tsuki tsuki is translated but no PDF available so would you mind making PDF extensions for them as well?
The translator (aka PROzess) forbid anyone from distributing PDF anyway, so don't get your hopes up.
AFAIK, PROzess forbade people from making edits to his translations while making the PDF(he told to follow exactly the same format as he has posted), but I don't think that he actually forbade people from making PDF itself.
The First
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

So i still have hope left at the bottom of the box.
Edit 1: i'm trying to make a pdf version myself (for personal use) but i can't seem to be able to limit the header on to the desired page.
Edit 2: @Denormative what font are you using in general?
Baka Tsuki username: Heikichi
Firebird34
Astral Realm

Post by Firebird34 »

They have Date A Live volume 6 and Highschool DxD volume 15 translated and ready to be set up for download in English
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

The First wrote:So i still have hope left at the bottom of the box.
Edit 1: i'm trying to make a pdf version myself (for personal use) but i can't seem to be able to limit the header on to the desired page.
If you're typesetting it in a word-processor (Word/LibreOffice), control-enter should insert a hard page-break which should force the header to the top of the next page if you add one right before it.

Remember though, "A word-processor is to words, as a food-processor is to food."; if you want things in *exactly* the right place, full pages images that aren't stretched, and a bunch of other things, you need to build the PDFs manually via a program or via a proper DTP program like MS Publisher, Adobe Indesign or the open-source Scribus software. Really just getting it "good enough to read for personal use" in the minimum amount of time required is a good goal. :)
The First wrote:Edit 2: @Denormative what font are you using in general?
"Arial Unicode MS.ttf"

I specifically use it because it has pretty much every standard Chinese and Japanese character I need in a single font, along with a whole pile of other random languages that are useful for, say, Campione. >.> I have to do some rather insane mix-and-matching otherwise.

Google it and you'll find a copy, though technically if you've got an old copy of MS Office or windows lying around it 'should' already be installed via that (I do know MS hasn't shipped it with Windows since at least Vista). But it's easier to acquire via google.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

is it possible for the headers to say different things? as all my headers keep changing to the new thing i'm typing even when i uncheck the 'link to previous' box

On a different note it seems my word can save files into pdf so all i have to do is open the pdf in adobe acrobat and combine the pdf with a folder full of the images, then rearrange them to the desired location and i'm done.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

The First wrote:is it possible for the headers to say different things? as all my headers keep changing to the new thing i'm typing even when i uncheck the 'link to previous' box
Don't use the, umm, "page headers"(?) feature. Just put in a manual page break, and then mark the header itself with whatever the "h2" header styling is from the styles drop-down, and then alter the "h2" style in the style editor to be what you want it to be. That way all your 'major' headers will be the same. Basically you should only need to worry about the "h2" and "h3" styles, along with the "paragraph body"(?) style (I think that's what it's called). I haven't used word in ages, so I'm trying to work from memory here. :)
The First wrote:On a different note it seems my word can save files into pdf so all i have to do is open the pdf in adobe acrobat and combine the pdf with a folder full of the images, then rearrange them to the desired location and i'm done.
Correct. Just make sure that you get the images to resize, but maintain aspect ratio (I don't know if this is the default or not) if you're maximising them to full-page size. They're unlikely to be the right aspect since B5 (which I think is the normal size for light novels) is a different aspect ratio to both A4 and US-Letter.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

The First wrote:May i also request Sword Art Online volume 12 before it gets removed.
Done.
Firebird34 wrote:They have Date A Live volume 6 and Highschool DxD volume 15 translated and ready to be set up for download in English
DaL v6 isn't complete; HS DxD v15 still hasn't got the images placed in it correctly yet.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

denormative wrote:Correct. Just make sure that you get the images to resize, but maintain aspect ratio (I don't know if this is the default or not) if you're maximising them to full-page size. They're unlikely to be the right aspect since B5 (which I think is the normal size for light novels) is a different aspect ratio to both A4 and US-Letter.
The default makes the images enormous. so does that mean i should resize it to a B5 aspect ratio?
denormative wrote:Done!
!!! I've been waiting to read this!!! Thank you !! XD
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

The First wrote:
denormative wrote:Correct. Just make sure that you get the images to resize, but maintain aspect ratio (I don't know if this is the default or not) if you're maximising them to full-page size. They're unlikely to be the right aspect since B5 (which I think is the normal size for light novels) is a different aspect ratio to both A4 and US-Letter.
The default makes the images enormous. so does that mean i should resize it to a B5 aspect ratio?
How do you mean? Are you asking if you should resize your pages to the B5 paper size?

What's your fontsize? My font size appears to be about 16 point normal text, h2's are about 23 point, and h3s about 17 (and bold). In theory I've adjusted my font-size/page-size/etc so it 'should' read as comfortably as a normal-sized English novel does. It also means I'm working with 'normal' page sizes, even though it looks like I'm working with smaller ones, so I don't have to deal with any weird side effects of PDF viewers (hopefully).
subreaper01
Favourite Light Novel: Campione, DxD, Date a live, Oda Nobuna, C3, and Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Post by subreaper01 »

Do u think u can make a pdf for volume 15 of high school dxd now. i believe the images are now in place. :D :D :D
I think being a God Slayer would be the funnest job in the world. I can't think of anything more fun then life and death battles with the gods and dragons.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ihc0sp13s72e/pdfs
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

subreaper01 wrote:Do u think u can make a pdf for volume 15 of high school dxd now. i believe the images are now in place. :D :D :D
Still missing as far as I can tell. An anon added the colour pictures into the volumes in the appropriate places; but no-one has added the black-and-white images in the places where they are in the novels.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

denormative wrote:How do you mean? Are you asking if you should resize your pages to the B5 paper size?

What's your fontsize? My font size appears to be about 16 point normal text, h2's are about 23 point, and h3s about 17 (and bold). In theory I've adjusted my font-size/page-size/etc so it 'should' read as comfortably as a normal-sized English novel does. It also means I'm working with 'normal' page sizes, even though it looks like I'm working with smaller ones, so I don't have to deal with any weird side effects of PDF viewers (hopefully).
personally i'm trying to get the image size to match the size of a page of text. so i guess i'm asking whether B5 is the size of a normal pdf page. since the size of the images i'm using is massive.

my font size is 16 arial unicode for both headers and normal text with the occasional chapter titles in bold. in general it spaces the words to a point where it doesn't hurt my eyes from reading too long, so i'd say its perfect.
The First
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The First »

When you have time would you mind making a PDF for Oda Nobuna no Yabou Volume 7?
subreaper01
Favourite Light Novel: Campione, DxD, Date a live, Oda Nobuna, C3, and Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Post by subreaper01 »

I know by now this may sound like a broken record. but could u make a pdf for volume 15 of high school dxd. your pdfs always work the best on my nook. :D :D
I think being a God Slayer would be the funnest job in the world. I can't think of anything more fun then life and death battles with the gods and dragons.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ihc0sp13s72e/pdfs
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

The First wrote:personally i'm trying to get the image size to match the size of a page of text. so i guess i'm asking whether B5 is the size of a normal pdf page. since the size of the images i'm using is massive.
The size of a PDF page can be anything you want. The "normal" size of PDFs you will encounter anywhere on the web will be either US Letter or A4. The size of the image will probably look bigger then the size of the page because it will be scanned at 300dpi or 600dpi (for really high-res scans), whereas normal computer monitors show things at 72dpi; so it will look bigger on a pixel-to-pixel comparison.

All my PDFs simply take the original image (at 300dpi or whatever) and resize it to fit approximately an A4 page. When you build your PDF you should have the option to resize the images to the "normal" DPI or leave it as is (I believe that by default Adobe's products resize the images to 72dpi). By leaving the images at the original resolution it means that on higher resolution displays (such as ipads which are about 250dpi) you get nice clear images, whereas if you resize them down to normal monitor dpi (72dpi) the images appear blocky or blurry.

Hopefully from that chunk of text it makes sense as to why the images seem so "large" in comparison to page size.

Return to “Appreciation & PDF”