KEPUB ebooks

Wish to express your thanks and salutations? And PDF's? Find your Novel Series topic here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

KEPUB ebooks

Post by tharael89 »

hi everyone.
i'm going directly to the point.
since i've bought the aura hd some time ago i've started to convert the epub generated ebooks in kobo epub ebooks (kepub for short).
i'm only going to say that the kepub format works only on kobo e-readers and gives some feature that normal epubs don't have on these readers.
download only if you area using a kobo e-reader.

note for fun i've tried to open a kepub in my android smartphone and it didn't give problems so you can probably use my kepubs also in other devices.

some notes:
1) since i've seen errors in the download ones (old images for example) i've restarted doing them from the wiki-text. it takes some more time but it leaves me without surprises
2) during the conversion i might have corrected some errors in images position or text. don't remember all but if you find errors do edit it can help if you write them down (you can use the highlighter feature and them write them here when you're done reading) so i can correct them.
3) since a lot of images where BIG i've re-sized them to a 1440px (height) - in the new works... when i'll have time to redo old series i'll redo the images
4) i've used a personal stylesheet.css (text guidelines for the ebook viewing on the e-reader) optimized for the aura hd so i don't know how will go on the glo or others kobo readers.

BAKA-TSUKI CONVERTED SERIES
- Absolute Duo volume 4 uploaded
- Baka to Tesuto to Syokanjuu latest uploaded volume 3.5. i'll do it in the future...
- Campione! volume 17 uploaded
- Ero Manga Sensei
- Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
- Heavy Object
- High School DxD uploaded up to volume 12. i'll do it in the future...
- Kamisama no Memochou waiting for translation :(
- Kenshin no Keishousha
- Maou na Ore to Fushihime no Yubiwa planned to redo the whole series
- Mokushiroku Arisu
- Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! waiting for translation :(
- Psyco Love Comedy
- Rakuin no Monshou waiting for translation :(
- Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? volume 4 uploaded
- Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance: hope in a TLC
- Sekai no Owari no Encore:
- Tasogare-iro no Uta Tsukai waiting for translation :(
- The Circumstances Leading to Waltraute's Marriage
- The Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village
- Toaru Majutsu no Index: New Testament waiting for v12 translated images
- Toaru Majutsu no Index: Side Stories i have to check if i've done all of them
- Tokyo Ravens i'll do them when i have time...

BAKA-TSUKI COMPLETED SERIES
- A Simple Survey
- Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
- Silver Cross and Draculea
- The World God Only Knows

KRYTYK'S TRANSLATION
- AntiMagic Academy “The 35th Test Platoon” volume 10 uploaded
- Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?
- ELYSION virtual region COMPLETED
- Only Sense Online volume 04 uploaded but it might be with errors

SKYTHEWOOD TRANSLATION
- Haken no Kouki Altina
- Knight's & Magic some problem with the images. I'll try to work it out
- Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! volume 2 uploaded

in the near future i plan to convert the followings:
catching up with the new volumes of already converted series
doing/re-doing the completed series and putting them in a folder in the baka-tsuki folder

edit: 29/08/14
i've done some clean-up in the folder so the new link is the following one. in the next few days i plan to update some new novel and maybe some new version of old ones.

edit: 31/08/14
i've removed Log Horizon and No Game No Life since these have been licensed
here is the folder link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3p1dae ... suki_Kepub
this one is the link to Krytyk's Translation folder: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kp2g3n ... ranslation
you can also find the links in his blog.
i've also removed the link to the Solitary Translation folder you can find it on their blog

edit: 12/03/15
removed Mahouka since it has been licensed.
uploaded the first three volumes of Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
uploaded AA up to translated volume and OSO, both in the Kryryk's Translation folder.

edit: 13/03/15
uploaded Campione! Volume 17
uploaded Absolute Duo Volume 04
uploaded Sekai no Owari no Encore Volume 01
created a folder for Skythewood translations: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3vbbr ... Skythewood
- Haken no Kouki Altina 1,2
- Knight's & Magic 1
- Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! 1

edit: 02/05/15
uploaded AntiMagic Academy “The 35th Test Platoon” to latest volume.
uploaded Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! 2
uploaded Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? 04
Last edited by tharael89 on Sat May 02, 2015 1:33 am, edited 39 times in total.
Baka-Tsuki Kepub folder: qqq.mediafire.com/folder/3p1daeihin347/Baka-Tsuki_Kepub
Krytyk's Kepub folder: qqq.mediafire.com/folder/kp2g3ne77kxnl/Krytyk's_Translation
Skythewood Kepub folder: qqq.mediafire.com/folder/i3vbbr2t3he50/Skythewood

you know what to do with the qqq :)
tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: KEPUB ebooks

Post by tharael89 »

KEPUB Conversion Method

first you need to download calibre (last update) and sigil.
calibre does the conversion adding the "kobo tag" while sigil is right now the best freeware software to edit epub (personal opinion)
the source files i use are the epub downloaded from http://ln.m-chan.org/v3/index.php.

the fastest way to convert epubs would be adding them to calibre, downloading in calibre the Kepub Output plugin and do the conversion right away.
this way you'll get in the calibre documents folder a .kepub file which can be uploaded on your kobo device using calibre (another plugin is needed) or on your sd after you have renamed the extension in .kepub.epub.
but since i didn't really like how it got out i've decided to use another method.
my method is in 4 step.
1- pre-conversion edit with sigil ( stylesheet overwrite, notes deleting, img upgrade, chapter split)
2- calibre conversion and extension renaming
3- post-conversion edit with sigil (calibre junk removal, re-stylesheet overwrite and new table of contents)
4- post-reading edit with sigil (this one is more of a error checking)

STEP 1
1- overwrite the text in stylesheet.css (styles folder) with the one below or one of your preference
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

.svgouter {
    display: block
    }

h1 {
    display: block;
    font-size: 1.41667em;
    font-weight: bold;
    line-height: 1.2;
    page-break-after: avoid;
    text-align: center;
    margin: 24pt 0
    }

h2 {
    font-size: 1.2em;
    line-height: 1.2;
    page-break-after: avoid;
    margin: 12pt 0
    }

p {
    font-size: 1em;
    line-height: 150%;
    margin: 12pt 0
    }

.reference {
    font-size: smaller;
    line-height: normal;
    vertical-align: super
    }

.references {
    list-style-type: decimal;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 1em
    }

.E {
    font-size: inherit;
    font-style: italic;
    line-height: inherit
    }

.i {
    font-style: italic;
    line-height: inherit;
    margin: inherit 0
    }

.b {
    line-height: inherit;
    margin: inherit 0
    }

.c {
    font-size: 1.4em;
    text-align: center
    }

.special {
    position: relative;
    white-space: nowrap
    }

.special1 {
    font-size: 0.8em;
    font-style: inherit;
    font-weight: inherit;
    letter-spacing: normal;
    position: absolute;
    top: -25px;
    white-space: nowrap
    }
2- notes deletion. i don't really like them and therefore i delete them from my kepub version.
first i open the body.xhtml (text folder) and go to the end of the text (if there is the link table i delete it).
in the translator notes there should be for every note a blue ↑. if you click it you'll go to the note location and you can delete it there.
after deleting everything i do a search check with the "Find & Replace tool" asking it to search for "<sup" and "<a href" with the options wrap checked and the mode set in: regex, all html files and down (before starting it go back to the first line).
note that the find & replace tool is awesome for a lot of thing so master its use.

3- img upgrade.
first download the latest image version from the site (the full resolution ones).
delete all the images in the Images folder and use the "add existing files" button to add your images.
now, if your images have the same name as the previous ones you'll have to check if the svg (code to have full page images on the device) has the right resolution but since is a pain to do i use this method.
use the "add cover" tool and then copy the svg code (example below) and paste it where the image should go. do it for every image.
to go directly to the image location you can use the find tool and then overwrite the text with the copied one (be sure to leave the original first line " <div class="svg_outer svg_inner"> " not present in the cover code.

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 1600 2400" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="2400" width="1600" xlink:href="../Images/Cover.jpg"></image>
    </svg>
  </div>
4- now the last bit of work.
generate a new table of contents (there is a button) and then go to every chapter title and use the "split at cursor" button.
this is done to let every chapter start in a new page.

5- with the previous step the pre-edit is done but i do some others minor edits where needed:
- blank line between sub-chapters
- code upgrade for words where one is above another. for this you use the "special" style in the stylesheet overwriting the code with this one

<span class="special"><span class="special1">ABOVE</span>BELOW</span>
STEP 2
open calibre and (after downloading the kepub output plugin) add your now edited epub in calibre.
select the book and click on the conversion button. here you'll have to select the kepub output format (top right)
go to "look and feel" and check the "disable font size rescaling" (top line)
in "page setup" select "tablet" in the output profile and "default input profile" in the input profile
in "KePub Output" check the "Preserve cover aspect ratio"
click on ok and wait for the job to be done
when the conversion is done go to the calibre file folder (right click on the book in the middle window and open cont...). here you have to rename the file and add after .kepub the .epub extension. (i also move the file in another folder since i prefer to delete all of calibre files after a conversion).
ps: best to set the conversion default options with your preferred settings so you won't have to recheck every time

NB you have to remove the ! (and probably any other symbol like *§°ç) from the file name. your kobo reader won't be able to open any kepub with ! in the file name (it can be put in the book name but it cannot be in the file name); i had this problem with the campione! series. my first campione kepub had the file name "Campione! - Volume 0...." and my aura hd wasn't able to open it. deleted the ! from the file name and no more problems

STEP 3
after adding the .epub the file can be reopened in sigil.
here you'll have to do 3 things and it won't take you more than a couple of minutes.
1- overwrite again the stylesheet with the one above since calibre overwrites it with calibre tags. it appears the same but if you look at the code you'll see calibre everywhere so it's better to clean it in case of future editing. to do this all you have to do is use the "Find & Replace" tool.
NB: remember to set "wrap" checked and the mode in "regex"
2- calibre junk removal: put the code below in the find line and ">" in the replace line. click on Replace All and the job is done.

class="ca(.*?)"
3- generate a new table of contents and if you want use the "edit table of contents" to add a cover link
4- use the "Validate Epub with Flightcrew"; if the conversion is done right all you'll have are 2 errors:
-This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
-The "properties" attribute is not an allowed attribute of the <item> element.

STEP 4
to do only after you have read the book and if you find some error or misplaced images
i use the annotations to remember where they are.
Last edited by tharael89 on Sat May 02, 2015 1:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
Baka-Tsuki Kepub folder: qqq.mediafire.com/folder/3p1daeihin347/Baka-Tsuki_Kepub
Krytyk's Kepub folder: qqq.mediafire.com/folder/kp2g3ne77kxnl/Krytyk's_Translation

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

couldn't end the conversion of mahouka.
i've uploaded volumes 1-9 for now.
probably i'll be able to finish it in the next few days.

ah. since i've got to do some exams in the next few weeks i'll probably stop converting for a little while
it shouldn't be a problem for anyone since epubs work anyway on kobo readers.

i'll still upload the volume 10 of mahouka when done.

see you soon

mahouka v10 and v11 done and uploaded.

silver cross and draculea v1-3 done and uploaded

log horizon translated volumes done for tomorrow? hope so :D
Last edited by tharael89 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

uploaded volumes 2,3,4 of Log Horizon.

for all the volumes i've replaced the images with japanese text with the translated ones and deleted the translation text. i still have not tried to see if the text in the images is easy to read from my aura so when i've got time i'll try to see and if it's not readable i'll re-insert the text below the images.
i've also removed all the tables without deleting the text.

for volume 4 i've put the images where i thought they would fit the best since from the epub in the baka-tsuki generator they weren't placed in the correct place.

if you find any problems tell me.

tomorrow i'll probably start converting the New Testament series of Toaru Majutsu no Index

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

uploaded the new testament series.
the side stories of toaru majutsu no index will be put a little behind on schedule.

i'm thinking of doing the seire tsukai no blade dance series first since a new volume is being translated.
it'll probably take a little since i'll probably have to check the images (at least the first volume.epub still has untranslated images so i'll check them all).

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

since it seems a lot of text needed a TLC even in the original project page i've left aside the error checking and went directly to image updating and conversion.
so it didn't take long to do the conversion.

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance is now uploaded in the folder. enjoy

ps: it seems some pages of Log Horizon where left untranslated so i'll redo the files when the books are fully translated

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

uploaded the toaru majutsu side stories.
i've still not done the oreimo x toaru collaboration since i've not found the epub and i don't know who translated it.
if you know pm me so i'll put the information in the metadata and upload it.

ah. i've renamed the files in a different way from the original epub and since in the project page the side stories have been divided in long/short/parody i've adopted this method for my kepubs.

for log horizon i'm waiting for the full translation of volume 1 before redoing the volumes

next i'll probably do volume 15 of campione! and a v2 of the previous volumes (reading them i've found some error and old ugly images to update)

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

uploaded volume 15 of campione.
i'll redo it when better images are found

i've also added volume 3 of gakusen toshi asterisk since it came out its epub version.

today i should be able to upload the re-visioned version of volume 1-5 of campione.

when the whole campione revision is done i'll probably start converting another series, don't know which one though XD

Fenrir007
Astral Realm

Post by Fenrir007 »

Thanks a lot for these, tharael89.

I also happen to have the Aura HD that I bought recently, so this really helps. Would you mind sharing the conversion process step by step with me (including the stylesheet) so that I may also try my hand at converting some titles?

I will post them here (or in a separate thread, if you prefer) if I manage to do it correctly.
tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

sorry for not uploading this past week.
i've been busy with exams.

no problem. there are so many wonderful novels around and a little help in converting them is always welcomed.
later i'll edit my second post with the conversion process and stylesheet.

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

after a "long time" here i am restarting the uploading.

as said before. i've redone volume 1-5 of campione. some minor editing and all the images have been replaced with the last ones.

furthermore i've converted volume 1-4 of Kamisama no Memochou.
it's an awesome series and i really hope the translation gets started again.
i've not done yet volume 8 because i found a image (page 047) in the illustration html file and since i've haven't read the volume i don't know in which point it should be placed.
if someone knows where i should put it please tell me or you'll have to wait for when i'll read the book.

in the next few day i plan to redo log horizon and seirei v12

see you later :D

Fenrir007
Astral Realm

Post by Fenrir007 »

I followed your conversion guide but I had a bit of trouble at these steps:

STEP 1.3 - img upgrade: I checked in sigil and the images seemed to be already in the right resolution. Also, I´m not sure where I was supposed to get those images from anyway, so I just kept the ones in the epub.

STEP 1.5 - code upgrade: I didnt understand where I was supposed to paste this, and what words above and below meant, so I skipped.

STEP 3.1 - I didnt get what I should do here. Should I delete entirely the current stylesheet and use the same one at Step 1? But if I do that, there wouldnt be a point to the second substep, would it?

STEP 3.2 - I found no matches for the code you posted in the stylesheet.

That aside, I generated the kepup. I attached it in this post and would be grateful if you could take a quick look at it to see if I made any glaring mistakes. Oh and I left the notes in the end, its a personal preference.

Here is the link. It is the first volume of C3:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eqwm5 ... kepup.epub

One last thing. Did you use the kobo patch in your aura to change the display area? Would doing that bring problems in the conversion pattern? I changed mine to 60/60/10 to get a fullscreen on it.

As soon as I nail the conversion process I will start converting things for real.
tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

first of all: i've not patched my aura. i did not find the need to do it.

i probably didn't explain completely
step 1.3
sometimes someone will upload a new version of an old images, it's not about resolution but quality.
in every project page you'll see a "illustration" section in which every image of the novel is uploaded. for example in C3 you can find that the first image was later removed and a new one was uploaded
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/image ... 02-003.jpg
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/image ... 02-003.jpg
as you can see the second one is better.
but this doesn't mean that in the epubs downloaded all the images are the latest ones. so i delete all the images in the downloaded epub and uploaded the latest ones i've downloaded from the project page.

step 1.5
in some novel, for example tasogare-iro no uta tsukai and others, some "magic" chants have words outside of the normal sentence and are more like a exponent for a number, an example would be:

<span style="white-space: nowrap; position: relative;">
<span style="position: absolute; font-size: .8em; top: -25px; left: 50%; white-space: nowrap">
<span style="position: relative; left: -50%;">Phoenix</span></span>Fire Bird</span>
this simple code will tell your device to let the first word above the second one. the one i've put in the explanation is a simplified version that uses special tags in the stylesheet to tell the device the same thing.

<span class="special"><span class="special1"><span class="special2">ABOVE</span></span>BELOW</span>
if you look at the stylesheet you'll see that "special, special1 and 2, specify the same things without making the code in the text part to be confusing.

step 3.1 and 3.2
in all honesty you can leave these steps asides because while it's true that calibre overwrites your stylesheet it does so without changing how it'll look on the device.
these are more like a preemptive move in case you'll have to update your stylesheet in the future. and so i first overwrite the stylesheet calibre overwrote with the original one and then i delete all the calibre tags with one move.
you probably couldn't find them if your search tool it's not set with "wrap" checked and mode "regex"

about your kepub there are some things to correct.
1. this one is more like a suggestion: for long series is better to classify the volume from 1 to 9 with the 0 before since the aura looks at the first number and not whole one and so you'll have volume 1,10,2... to do this you have to go to the content.opf (open with sigil) and add 0 in the title line
2. it seems that during the conversion calibre split the file in various html files, this is a little bad looking since you'll have the chapter heading alone in a page and the sub-chapter in the following one. this is probably a setting in the calibre conversion window (kepub output); in mine the only checked thing is "preserve cover aspect ratio" and i've set to 80000 KB the space in the "split files larger than" (this way it will not split on his own)
3. last thing is about your table of contents. as you can see it has link even for the last line of every chapter. if i had to guess it'll probably be an error on your part. when you have created a white line to separate the sub-chapter you have probably pressed "enter" from the heading line. this will make even the white line a heading and so calibre and sigil will see it as a checkpoint for the table of contents. this is solved by pressing and at the end of the line before the heading. and to check you can always look with code view. if you see this <p><br /></p> in the last line of every chapter adn sub-chapter you're okay.

i've done a conversion of C3 v1 as an example.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3p1daeihin347/
if you correct the points above you should be able to get the same thing.

ps: later i'll upload some kepubs, sorry for the wait :)

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

uploaded Seirei v12 and Draculea v4 but i've not read them yet so i've not moved the images.

i've also uploaded a new version of Log Horizon v2

tomorrow i'll probably do log horizon v1

edit: log horizon v1 done and uploaded

tharael89
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tharael89 »

Tokyo Ravens volume 1 done

also done the volume 1-3 of Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! (uploading now)

Return to “Appreciation & PDF”