Date a Live: General

General discussions related to Date A Live series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Date a Live ?

It was good! Please do more!
96%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 3084

SilverWing
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Date a Live: General

Post by SilverWing »

18782 wrote:Author of those Pastebin here. Anything in the "-" format are always summaries, so Ten'ou Festival Contest and Miku Onstage are not translations. In the main Pastebin, only Yamai Lunchtime and Date A Quest are translations, which I'm okay if someone want to post it here, but I suppose lots of editing is needed (which sometimes re-translation might be easier).
I see so the "-" format are summaries. Thanks for clarifying that. By the way, can you provide me the link to your main Pastebin? I would like to read the Yamai Lunchtime and Date A Quest short stories. If you have any more translated content for Date A Live that is not posted on Baka Tsuki, I would appreciate it if links are provided for them as well. I might also consider editing the translations for the two short stories, Yamai Lunchtime and Date A Quest depending on the quality of the translations after I read the translations.
Flowers-LavDai
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Flowers-LavDai »

heh... heh...
Well I was trying to translate all the Side Stories... when I get the time O(∩_∩)O~he he :P
~\(≧▽≦)/~ It'll be cool if there's gonna be other people taking up the stories too
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by 18782 »

SilverWing wrote:I see so the "-" format are summaries. Thanks for clarifying that. By the way, can you provide me the link to your main Pastebin? I would like to read the Yamai Lunchtime and Date A Quest short stories. If you have any more translated content for Date A Live that is not posted on Baka Tsuki, I would appreciate it if links are provided for them as well. I might also consider editing the translations for the two short stories, Yamai Lunchtime and Date A Quest depending on the quality of the translations after I read the translations.
I don't have the link the latest Pastebin, but here's the one for Yamai Lunchtime and Date A Quest:
Yamai Lunchtime: http://pastebin.com/ehLRyyct
Date A Quest: http://pastebin.com/nBkMwZvZ

By the way, this month's Dragon Magazine short story seems to be Shiori Penalty, and as the name implies…
SilverWing
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SilverWing »

18782 wrote: I don't have the link the latest Pastebin, but here's the one for Yamai Lunchtime and Date A Quest:
Yamai Lunchtime: http://pastebin.com/ehLRyyct
Date A Quest: http://pastebin.com/nBkMwZvZ

By the way, this month's Dragon Magazine short story seems to be Shiori Penalty, and as the name implies…
Thanks for the links. I guess it cannot be helped that you do not have the latest pastebin link as it is not easy to locate content on that website.

On another note, it seems the name of this month's Dragon Magazine short story implies Shiori is going to appear in it and there is going to be some sort of punishment for comedic purposes if Shiori fails at doing something. Either way, I look forward to reading the short story when it gets translated.
chaoticrun
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel: Tsukumodo Antique Shop, OreGairu

Post by chaoticrun »

Umm, hi~
I'm just a passing reader, but...
I've read for a while, and found that most of the dialogue's part on Volume 5 (or maybe some other.. I'm new to DAL) are like... losing periods (".") at the end....
I dunno how it is on the original script, but I see it quite confusing for a first-time reader like me :3
Example:
Spoiler! :
“………………..I will also be directly attending too. It will also be bad if the contact personnel were gone from the area”

“You’re right. I wonder if there is anyone”

When she sighed while mumbling, *Spin* *spin* Kannazuki came out dancing in front the both of them. And like a swan, he spreads both his hands with an elegant behavior------

“You’re annoying”
Maybe this isn't the place to post it...
Thanks, and really sorry for the disturbance. :D
Worst trackpad-user FPS player ever.

"That's why, at this very moment, in the interval of a second, I wish to cross the world lines and protect your smile.
Then, once again into a time loop devoid of misery, I will be swallowed as a lonely observer." - Itou Kanako
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

It's prob the word auto-formatting or w/e it should be called.

Should be the case with smart quote marks too.

Anyone who has the time can Find/Replace the terms with normal dots/quote marks.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

He's talking about the Japanese convention of omitting the final period in a sentence whenever dialogue is enclosed in quotation marks.

It means that the translator is unnecessarily replicating Japanese punctuation in a way that contradicts English practices. Or they were just too lazy to type it.

If a sentence in dialogue ends in a quotation mark without any other punctuation (ellipsis, dash, exclamation mark or question mark), go ahead and put in the missing period.
Flowers-LavDai
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Flowers-LavDai »

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 12.00.36 PM.png
DAL Encore 2 ToC
Wondering if I should put the "Unconfirmed" for "Summer Vacation" and "Brother"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AKAAkira
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AKAAkira »

Flowers,

1: I don't suppose you have a higher resolution for that? I think the kanji used in chapters two and three is 未確認, but I'm not 100% sure. ...Then again, it probably is, and I'm only asking because I'm not sure in what sense they're supposed to be applied...

2: Where did the "Live" in "Live Tenou Festival Contest" come from? All I see is just "Tenou Festival Contest".

Thanks for posting this though.
Flowers-LavDai
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Flowers-LavDai »

AKAAkira wrote:Flowers,

1: I don't suppose you have a higher resolution for that? I think the kanji used in chapters two and three is 未確認, but I'm not 100% sure. ...Then again, it probably is, and I'm only asking because I'm not sure in what sense they're supposed to be applied...

2: Where did the "Live" in "Live Tenou Festival Contest" come from? All I see is just "Tenou Festival Contest".

Thanks for posting this though.
1. Here's the full photo
DAL E24.jpg
2. Dunno... RikiNutcase helped me translate it....

AHH!!! I messed up!!! I accidentally sent RikiNutcase the "Live" from Date A "Live"
Sorry RikiNutcase!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flowers-LavDai
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Flowers-LavDai »

It's quite weird how 4/5 of the stories in Encore 2 is from the Short Stories from the magazines...
AKAAkira
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AKAAkira »

Er... "Higher resolution" doesn't necessarily mean "full picture". Unless you could actually zoom into the picture, though I can't seem to find such an option.

It's not that strange for short stories to be compiled later. That's apparently what most of Campione! volume 16 was, and Date A Live already did it in Encore 1 by bringing Yoshino Fireworks and Kotori Birthday into it. The opening pictures of both aren't in the actual Encore 1 volume; they were presumably from when they had been published as standalone stories.
chaoticrun
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel: Tsukumodo Antique Shop, OreGairu

Post by chaoticrun »

zzhk wrote:He's talking about the Japanese convention of omitting the final period in a sentence whenever dialogue is enclosed in quotation marks.

It means that the translator is unnecessarily replicating Japanese punctuation in a way that contradicts English practices. Or they were just too lazy to type it.

If a sentence in dialogue ends in a quotation mark without any other punctuation (ellipsis, dash, exclamation mark or question mark), go ahead and put in the missing period.
So maybe I can do that? I was thinking that maybe on the original script there is actually no periods....
Thanks.
Worst trackpad-user FPS player ever.

"That's why, at this very moment, in the interval of a second, I wish to cross the world lines and protect your smile.
Then, once again into a time loop devoid of misery, I will be swallowed as a lonely observer." - Itou Kanako
octapusxft
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

The anime will finish volume 7 in a week and finally the gap in the Date a Live story will be filled.

I will still read the novel version of it when it finally gets translated though (Once that happens a "What year is it?" meme will be appropriate?)
The novel always got things that the anime cannot show in its restricted time frame.
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?
DarkeKyuubi
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel: So many but here's a few: Gekkou, Toradora, Cube x Cursed x Curious

Post by DarkeKyuubi »

Hey guys I'm back! Sorry for the year long absence, I've been really busy with school but I'm on done for now. Really glad to see that the project is still active and so much has been done while I was away (thank you translators and editors <3) which means more reading for me :D . I'll be returning to an active editor although it looks like there are no lack of those but I still wanna contribute where I can. Anyhow really happy to be back and I hope you're all having an amazing summer so far!

Return to “Date A Live”