Revised Removal + Restoration Policy

Please read before posting! Also contains wiki policies and rules.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Revised Removal + Restoration Policy

Post by Teh_ping »

The following will be absolute:

1. The deletion process on the wiki will be initiated once the announcement of the first volume's release date is made.

-The reason for this is that we have to see commitment from the publisher and such. Again, I know there are a few people who will say things like 'Yen Press is reliable' and such, but this is a safeguard not simply to them, but to any other publisher who wishes to publish translated LNs. Using the instance of Zero no Tsukaima, the company had yet to announce a release date despite the fact that they had licensed the series. Had they done it, the project would have been majorly affected.
- Also, do note that the alternate languages projects will be affected. We have to note that most of the translators are basically translating from the English versions of their respective projects.

2. For the deletion process, all downloadables are to be taken down immediately once the licensing announcement is made, whereas the project pages on the wiki itself will be deleted gradually.

- Let us be reminded that whatever we are doing is a liability. This is merely a little compromise I am going to make on both parties, which we HAD done before for both SAO and AW projects. If it is not broken, don't fix it.
- It took Little Brown, under the Hachette Book Group, to send us a C&D almost 3 years after Haruhi was licensed. Like Cloud, I do not see a particular issue of deleting the pages gradually, until the deadline (Kind of how students typically do their studying at the last minute. You get the gist.)

3. Translators (and editors) will be discouraged, but not prevented from working on any licensed series after the license announcement until a deadline given below. Most importantly, the translator has to be registered before the licensing announcement was made, and the volume worked on has to be more than 50% translated.

- Again, this is partly tied in to the first point, that we must not be certain on when the official translation will come out until it is guaranteed to be out.
- Another point is that almost all our translators are picky, only willing to work on certain series, of certain genres. What other projects do we have on BT? Some will be resistant to change and such. For these people, I am willing to give a little compromise until the time comes. (I do understand how it feels to get your work deleted. I had Shana, SAO and Index taken because of this). I feel it would also be unfair to those who registered, only to get the door shut in front of them.
- If there are at least one translator working on the series, this will apply to every active translator on an individual basis.
- No excuses for those who knew that the series is going to be licensed. They will not be allowed to continue. In this situation, this will apply to any translator who managed to finish a volume under this rule, but wishes to continue to the next volume.

For example, assuming that Black Bullet is licensed, and I had already registered for volume 5 before the announcement. At this point, I can continue with the volume if it is more than 50% done (don't try to pull a fast one on me, I'll be watching). However, I can't register or continue on to volume 6 (even if I am registered, as in Kouen's case) because I know that the series is already licensed. (If someone is to pay no heed to this latter aspect, the project will be eradicated without a trace.)

If there are 3 translators, each working on a seperate volume, they can continue as long as their volumes are more than 50% done. If I have yet to do more than 50% by the time the announcement is made, I will have to drop it immediately.

- All who wish to continue on will have to move fast, because of the point below.

4. Deadline for completion is 3 months before the official first volume release (if latest Fan-translated volume), or 5 months before official first volume release (if it is any earlier volume)

- Again, I will like to say that no matter what we do, we are already in the grey zone at least. This is to be applied so that the gradual deletion policy below can be implemented smoothly without delay.

5. Gradual deletion has to be done 2 months before the official release (Which means AW will be gone within this month)

- Personally, I do not really care about how often we should do the deletion; just get the job done. I do not wish to follow a schedule in this case. in other words, deletion will be random and sudden (though typically in order unless the executor decides to keep a volume out of sentimentality or something like a certain volume 7 of SAO), so that readers do not have the opportunity to wait till the deadline to read the works. Nothing triggers more fear in war than sudden raids.

6. Side Stories and Sequel Series will not be deleted, but will be affected (moved to a new page and such)

- As far as I am aware (Multiple Sources), it will take a seperate license to handle them.
- However, the sequel series (at least) will have to be moved to a new page. I don't want to scroll all the way down (or click on the tab) just to find the New Testament series.
- Side Stories will probably fall under the new project page as well. Basically, it will be a new page for unlicensed work.

7. We may restore any project that is abandoned. However, for that to happen, there has to be a 1 year worth of inactivity on the official sides at least.

- I suppose there is no need for an explanation here? No way is the publisher going to announce that they have dropped a series and such, and there has yet to be an instance of projects continuing after a 1 year hiatus.
- This will automatically mean that Hidan no Aria will not be reinstated as of this time.

8. From now on, there will be a 3 volume buffer if we do reinstate a series proper.

Supposedly a series is reinstated, and there are 3 volumes released. A 3 volume buffer (4-6) means that these volumes will not be reinstated, and so we shall begin from volume 7.

The reason why I chose to have a buffer of 3 volumes is because that is the current maximum number of volumes that has been released in a year. This allows us to regroup and react if there is any unexpected situation of the official translation continuing or something.

Notable exceptions to this rule are series that were already affected before this, Shana and Kino no Tabi.

9. Side stories and sequels that were originally affected by the deletion will be considered on a case by case basis.

The series I think falls under this clause are Book Girl and SAO, with 8 side volumes to be released (and some web stories) for the former, and 2 volumes of Progressive (and lots of doujin content). Yen Press has yet to make any announcement on what is going on, so we shall wait and see.

- For SAO Progressive, since I did make the announcement that the series will be reinstated along with the side stories, that shall stick.

- For Book Girl, I will wait until January 2015 to see if there is any update.

10. Last of all, upon receiving a C&D from the official sites, the project is to be taken down immediately.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Revised Removal + Restoration Policy

Post by KuroiHikari »

Release Date of Vol 1 of Licensed Series
Spoiler! :
Sword Art Online April 22, 2014
ISBN: 9780316371247

Accel World July 22, 2014
ISBN: 9780316376730

A Certain Magical Index Nov 18, 2014