Machine translations Guidelines

Please read before posting! Also contains wiki policies and rules.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Machine translations Guidelines

Post by onizuka-gto »

Edit (July 19, 2015): The below guidelines have been updated and replaced by those found here. Please follow the updated guidelines and note that the "Preview" designation should no longer be used for machine translations.

-----

This is a general guideline for ~Preview~ Scripts submitted using machine translations:

Script employing this method are not un-welcomed, but are restricted to guidelines and unfortunately cannot be submitted as "official" scripts.

We can only allow machine translation as ~Preview~ scripts, due to the consensus of the wiki-communist state of Baka-Tsuki concluding that the quality of machine translation has yet to rival human translators and the representation of machine translation should not be acknowledge as "official" scripts to stake Baka-Tsuki's reputation upon.

However with the improvement of software and technology, Baka-Tsuki is hopefully that the quality will improve and that we should not dismiss this method of translation and the current generation of machine translators are still useful for helping human translators to reference and give a general idea of layout, and bulk of text needed to be translated.

The best machine translator we have current reviewed is called "Atlas" we encourage all contributors who wish to help using machine translation to use this current engine.

While other software and "online" translators are not dismissed, please be aware that they have worse context translation ability compared with "Atlas".

They will as mentioned in the first sentence, require a lot of editing, as the general context spoken and background are severely damaged by the engine.

Editors are advised to seek human translator consultancy over these scripts to conduct a general analysis to check that the story integrity are within tolerances of the volume/series.

Machine Translated Scripts are advised the following actions:

1) Post machine translated scripts on the Forum for examination

2) Script need to be consulted with a Human translator who can conduct a general proofing with the original raws used for it. (in the same language used, if possible )

3) All machine script need an approve by a Baka-Tsuki Staff before publishing on the wiki.

4) Machine translations must be placed in a page with "~Preview~" in the title.

5) The link must clearly state it is a "~Preview~" and must be placed next to the un-linked title on the appropriate series page.

6) The beginning of the page must contain the following:

Code: Select all

Chapter [number/Symbol] - [title of chapter here]

''This is a preview script.
Please be aware that the degree of translation error may be higher than usual due to the translation speed & method employed.''

----
7) Author of Machine translation must register their wiki user name on the appropriate series registration page, clearly stating it is for the preview script.

Once a Preview scripts has fulfilled all guidelines, please be aware that the script becomes part of the Baka-Tsuki Wiki-communist state property.

Baka-Tsuki staff have the final authority to remove the script, provided they have fully transparent and accountable reasons.
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Good guidelines, the only problem I see is that machine translations can do quite a bit in a short time. To get a human translator to look over everything seems a waste of time for them since they have to look over twice the amount of material.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Well im not saying they are to go over it in that much detail.

I suppose what i meant is that we just make sure that the preview script doesn't go out quite so mangled, i mean bablefish in particular can be really really strange when it comes out.

I guess what we need to do for the previews is grab Sushi-Y's summary pf ZNT chapters/volumes with that the English Editors can go thought it and make sure nothing seems out of place.

However if it's done by "Atlas" which has been looked over by some of our Editors and translators, it only needs one or two passes, and the accuracy is acceptable.

That's the minimum standard we have to get to, and babblefish the free online translator, is unfortunately quite bad compared to "Atlas".

well, so says the Translators and Editor-Semi-Translators.

And I really have to go by their word, until i can do what they can do. (which is quite slim right now)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: Guidelines: Machine translations

Post by onizuka-gto »

Update for wiki:

Can all contributors who are using machine translation and those who are speeding up progress for projects for slow registered chapters/sections please apply the preview tag, found here:

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... te:PREVIEW

please apply it by adding this wiki code at the top followed by a line break.

{{Template:PREVIEW}}

thank you.

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: Machine translations Guidelines

Post by onizuka-gto »

update on Machine-Translation guidelines: To make things move more swiftly, as long as you post a link of your machine-translated script (i.e. link back to the wiki page) notify and requesting validation, then it will be considered "Authorised" unless stated, all related issues with the translation can be dealt within that topic and discussion with more experienced Translators.

Just remember to clearly label the topic with the title of the script and sub-fix the word "PREVIEW".

Thank you.

@Onizukademongto
Nandaka
Digitalizer Editor

Post by Nandaka »

Just want to notify, the {{Template:PREVIEW}} have bugs.

<table class="{{{id}}}" style="background: {{{backgroundcolor}}}; border: 1px solid #aaa; padding: .2em; margin-bottom: 3px; font-size: 95%; width: auto; float:{{{1}}};">
the generated class is incorrect, it being parsed as {{{id}}}
Visit my blog for other applications.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Uhm, what is the problem? What does this bug ?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Nandaka wrote:Just want to notify, the {{Template:PREVIEW}} have bugs.

<table class="{{{id}}}" style="background: {{{backgroundcolor}}}; border: 1px solid #aaa; padding: .2em; margin-bottom: 3px; font-size: 95%; width: auto; float:{{{1}}};">
the generated class is incorrect, it being parsed as {{{id}}}

....so...how to fix....wait. what problem does it make that it needs a fix? :roll:

@Onizukademongto
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by Lery »

You could simply replace the text on that page with that text :
(I can't do it myself, the page is protected)
<center>
{| class="prev-temp" style="border: 1px solid #aaa; padding: .2em; margin-bottom: 3px; font-size: 95%; width: auto; float:1;"
| style="padding-right: 4px; padding-left: 4px;" | [[Image:Preview symbol.gif]] ||align="center"| <font = +10>'''Warning: This translation is considered a <u>PREVIEW</u> Script.'''</font>

Be warned that the degree of translation error may be higher than usual due to the translation method employed.

|-
|}

<includeonly>'''<small>Please read [[Template:PREVIEW]] for further information.</small>[[Category:Preview_Scripts]]</includeonly></center>

<noinclude>
----

This script is classified as a preview due to:

* Machine Translation employed.
* The script was registered to another translator

If machine translation was employed, be warned that the degree of translation error may be higher than usual due to the translation method employed.

For further information regarding machine preview scripts, please read the Guidelines: [viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1705 Machine translations]

</noinclude>

Because we actually don't need it to be defined as an optional statement of the template...

Nobody has access to the CSS aside from TLG anyway... :|

I also updated the link which was still with .net ;)
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Lery wrote:You could simply replace the text on that page with that text :
(I can't do it myself, the page is protected)
<center>
{| class="prev-temp" style="border: 1px solid #aaa; padding: .2em; margin-bottom: 3px; font-size: 95%; width: auto; float:1;"
| style="padding-right: 4px; padding-left: 4px;" | [[Image:Preview symbol.gif]] ||align="center"| <font = +10>'''Warning: This translation is considered a <u>PREVIEW</u> Script.'''</font>

Be warned that the degree of translation error may be higher than usual due to the translation method employed.

|-
|}

<includeonly>'''<small>Please read [[Template:PREVIEW]] for further information.</small>[[Category:Preview_Scripts]]</includeonly></center>

<noinclude>
----

This script is classified as a preview due to:

* Machine Translation employed.
* The script was registered to another translator

If machine translation was employed, be warned that the degree of translation error may be higher than usual due to the translation method employed.

For further information regarding machine preview scripts, please read the Guidelines: [viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1705 Machine translations]

</noinclude>

Because we actually don't need it to be defined as an optional statement of the template...

Nobody has access to the CSS aside from TLG anyway... :|

I also updated the link which was still with .net ;)
okay.....not exactly why but...Done! :)

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Rules”