All Projects Startup Guidelines

Please read before posting! Also contains wiki policies and rules.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Re: All Projects Startup Guidelines

Post by Rohan123 »

Nura rihan wrote: P.S. I don't think it's a pressure for the translators, but it just can become a bother in someways :(
It might be a pressure for new translators as they might fear that their projects will get deleted if they aren't able to satisfy the requirements in time, or even if they are able to do so but fear deletion nonetheless due to the delays caused in the approval process. This doesn't really apply to experienced translators or those who have been at BT for a while, since they know that the rule is outdated and does not apply anymore.
And as Misogi said, it may also deter new translators from trying their hand at translating on BT, because they may think that they'll be unable to meet the deadline, so their efforts will be in vain.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Nurin »

Rohan123 wrote:
Nura rihan wrote: P.S. I don't think it's a pressure for the translators, but it just can become a bother in someways :(
It might be a pressure for new translators as they might fear that their projects will get deleted if they aren't able to satisfy the requirements in time, or even if they are able to do so but fear deletion nonetheless due to the delays caused in the approval process. This doesn't really apply to experienced translators or those who have been at BT for a while, since they know that the rule is outdated and does not apply anymore.
And as Misogi said, it may also deter new translators from trying their hand at translating on BT, because they may think that they'll be unable to meet the deadline, so their efforts will be in vain.
No, the point is, that most of the translators only create a page when has a chapter completed :roll:
Call me Nurin!

Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by Rohan123 »

Nura rihan wrote: No, the point is, that most of the translators only create a page when has a chapter completed :roll:
And even then the project doesn't usually get approved within a week, so some of the new translators still get pressured as they fear deletion, even when they have already met the requirements.
Kiyoso
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR

Post by Kiyoso »

Who is the Russian Administrator now? Const2k seems left the project.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Kiyoso wrote:Who is the Russian Administrator now? Const2k seems left the project.
For Russian you can contact simon here or here :D
Call me Nurin!

Devenk83
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Devenk83 »

About the time limit, in the guidelines I found those :
In order to have your project approved, you must do one or both of the following:

* Register on the forum and contact a member of Administration about your intention and affirm your commitment to the project.

* Publish ONE TRANSLATED CHAPTER within ONE WEEK on the wiki complete with a Main Page and a Registration Page.
My best advice is to contact a member of Administration, (we are very understanding) and you will have an unlimited time to start your project and will not be constraint by the ONE WEEK deadline.
So that mean that the time limit is only applied when you start a project without telling a supervisor, thing that nobody here (I think) does.
So in the end, it isn't really a problem.
Ancien traducteur amateur EN/FR / Ex-Amateur EN/FR Translator
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by Rohan123 »

Yea, but now it doesn't seem like you need to contact a member of the administration to start a project. You can just go ahead and make it.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I guess that I'll send a mail to Oni, so that we can modify that one-week deadline rule.

We already discussed of it, but if you have ideas, they're welcome.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Rohan123 wrote:Yea, but now it doesn't seem like you need to contact a member of the administration to start a project. You can just go ahead and make it.

Sure they are welcomed to do that....

But on the other hand, they have no grounds to complain if a member of staff or myself remove it without warning. :roll: :twisted:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Oni, may you remove the "one week deadline"? As it can pressure some (new or potential) translators and since no one applies this rule anymore.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Misogi wrote:Oni, may you remove the "one week deadline"? As it can pressure some (new or potential) translators and since no one applies this rule anymore.
I don't think there's any problem with the time given, since you don't have to submit the project as an official one before you complete your chapters. Just leave them as teaser and ask for the official status after you finish your stuff.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

All the following facts are from my personal experience here. It may sound weird, but whatever.

Actually, some people do create a project even before finishing the required chapter. And they don't want to put a Teaser tag when they're determined to continue working on their project. Hence the panic when the tag is still here.

That "one week deadline" is putting a mental pressure to new translators and indirectly to supervisors (I'd prefer that people ask casually for an approval, rather than panicking). Even changing it to "one month" is ok, so I'm waiting for Oni's opinion.
----
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

I think it's nonsense altogether. There's just the difference of it being under the teaser category or not... It will only make it to the side bar, when there's enough translated anyway. Instead of deleting sites after a week, just put the teaser category under it. Or just leave the rule out altogether. For alternative languages, however, I think it's useful, otherwise there'd be a thousand alternative language projects with 1 page, worst-case. :mrgreen:

I think it'd be more useful to remove projects, that have been stalled for some time (12 months or so) AND have less than one volume translated, from the side-bar. There are more than enough projects on there and it's not like it's gone.

It'd also be nice to have a teaser group for alternative languages. For the sake of not having them mixed up with the English ones.

Just my 2 cent. Cheers.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Misogi wrote: Actually, some people do create a project even before finishing the required chapter. And they don't want to put a Teaser tag when they're determined to continue working on their project. Hence the panic when the tag is still here.
We could make some kind of steps to follow. As in:
1. Teaser
2. Pending project
3. Official project

If there's a new guy determined to make it into an official project, he shouldn't skip #1 and jump directly to #2.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
krytyk
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by krytyk »

I just made a new project few days ago as a teaser, and i won't bother applying to make it an official project until i finish first volume. Before then, i don't think it qualifies as anything other than a teaser.

As far as i remember people were making teaser projects when they had at least one full chapter, nowdays some teaser projects don't have a single one, and they have only prologues that are barely a page or two long. That was the reason for 1 week of time to have one chapter ready, so that projects won't be stuck with just prologue done, which can be barely called a teaser.

I absolutely see no reason why would anyone want to start a project up and have it as an official project right away. Having 3 steps, like kira stated, or at least 2 steps to follow is a good solution. I'm not sure if there's a point to pending projects, as they basically have the same role as teasers, it's a hassle to haev three steps. Have it stay as a teaser until a full volume is finished, and then move it to official projects, that is my humble opinion.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.

Return to “Rules”