All Projects Startup Guidelines

Please read before posting! Also contains wiki policies and rules.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: All Projects Startup Guidelines

Post by denormative »

Kira0802 wrote:By the way, I propose we change a bit the rules:

1. Translation content up to 2 chapters instead of one.

And

2. Any project which has less than 2 chapters and has been inactive for the past year should be back to teaser projects.

Just so the sidebar won't grow too big lol
It would be better if there were three (or four?) different groupings in the sidebar: Inactive; Active; and Up-To-Date/'Complete' (either all currently released volumes are translated, or the series is complete and all volumes are translated (this could be a different grouping) ). That way you can just use the javascript arrow-widget things to hide whatever list of projects you don't want to see.

If you can quantify it with something like "if there are no updates bigger then +3000 bytes within the last 90 days, the project is inactive" then I can write a script that can automatically update the Sidebar page on request (with appropriate permissions). I already do something similar to monitor the wiki to look for changes for my PDF updates, so it'd just be formalising it for me a bit. :P
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

- Raising the approval requirement to 2 chapters : Hmm, I'm not fond of that idea.

- Marking inactive projects with a few chapters as teasers : Why not, if it can reduce the project sidebar's length.

By the way, I think that we can remove the "one week" deadline, since nobody respects it anymore.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Misogi wrote:- Raising the approval requirement to 2 chapters : Hmm, I'm not fond of that idea.

- Marking inactive projects with a few chapters as teasers : Why not, if it can reduce the project sidebar's length.

By the way, I think that we can remove the "one week" deadline, since nobody respects it anymore.
I'm up for it if the volume has like 6-8 chapters.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

KuroiHikari wrote:I'm up for it if the volume has like 6-8 chapters.
Yeah, I was thinking of novels with short chapters like Blade Dance or Baka-Test, chapters worth 30-40 kb of text. Of course, that's not the case for maybe Hataraku or Gundam Unicorn.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

denormative wrote: It would be better if there were three (or four?) different groupings in the sidebar: Inactive; Active; and Up-To-Date/'Complete' (either all currently released volumes are translated, or the series is complete and all volumes are translated (this could be a different grouping) ). That way you can just use the javascript arrow-widget things to hide whatever list of projects you don't want to see.

If you can quantify it with something like "if there are no updates bigger then +3000 bytes within the last 90 days, the project is inactive" then I can write a script that can automatically update the Sidebar page on request (with appropriate permissions). I already do something similar to monitor the wiki to look for changes for my PDF updates, so it'd just be formalising it for me a bit. :P
I agree with the general idea, just maybe the threshold is longer, perhaps around 1 year or so. In addition, if we only look at the number of translated chapters (2, according to Kira), series like 7 Nights or Asura Cryin already passed that point although they haven't been updated for 2-3 years. So I think another groupings is the way to go.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

arczyx wrote:
denormative wrote:If you can quantify it with something like "if there are no updates bigger then +3000 bytes within the last 90 days, the project is inactive" then I can write a script that can automatically update the Sidebar page on request (with appropriate permissions). I already do something similar to monitor the wiki to look for changes for my PDF updates, so it'd just be formalising it for me a bit. :P
I agree with the general idea, just maybe the threshold is longer, perhaps around 1 year or so. In addition, if we only look at the number of translated chapters (2, according to Kira), series like 7 Nights or Asura Cryin already passed that point although they haven't been updated for 2-3 years. So I think another groupings is the way to go.
Any particular reason for a larger time threshold? 3000 bytes is only about 4 or 5 pages of a Japanese novel in English (because English likes using lots of letters to say few things...), and by using the 'related changes' it should also pick up anyone continuing to do translations of the alternate languages as well, so it should really be 'inactive' if there really is no activity in 3 months.

IMO, anything without a currently active translator listed that hasn't got all volumes translated should be marked 'Inactive' as well; but that's possibly being unnecessarily pedantic. :)

Then again we should be using categories for all of this stuff too... but that requires organisation. :P Though it would mean we could setup an automatically populating sidebar without an external program (in theory), and have all the alt-languages nicely sorted under their own javascript-triangle-hiders as well rather then their own page.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Any complaints about me removing/rewriting this section from the format guidelines? http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ator_Notes

I've been running around removing the old Translator-Notes pages and replacing them with inline-<ref>s in various series' whenever I get the energy to do so, and as far as I can tell most projects use the 'new' <ref> style anyway. It seems a bit silly to leave the old style as the 'preferred format'.
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

denormative wrote:Any complaints about me removing/rewriting this section from the format guidelines? http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ator_Notes

I've been running around removing the old Translator-Notes pages and replacing them with inline-<ref>s in various series' whenever I get the energy to do so, and as far as I can tell most projects use the 'new' <ref> style anyway. It seems a bit silly to leave the old style as the 'preferred format'.

That seems like the right thing to do since most projects I have seen use inline refs anyway. Plus, inline refs look cleaner and are convenient to use.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

There seems to be a slight problem with point 6 of the "Guidelines for Project Petition ~Essential Read~": viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1822
6) After you have fulfil the above points, you must contact a Wiki Supervisor by Email and P.M (optional) with a link to the Forum post of the requested Series.
No wiki supervisors in the list have a publicly available email address as far as I can tell, so it's impossible to fulfil the required email, only the optional PM.
Also:
<list of one score and three people>
It is heavily advised that you contact ALL the above mention.
The PM system is polite enough not to let me spam everyone (I think it only lets it go out to 5 or 6 people/groups at a time). It might be worth having a 'Wiki Supervisor' group on the forum so you can just PM that and sort it out.

Also for English it doesn't mention if you're supposed to message everyone, or just the un-language-labeled people?
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I'm requesting the removal of the "one week deadline" rule, as it isn't applied anymore and it can give pressure to new translators.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Devenk83
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Devenk83 »

Maybe something more like one mouth ? But I think the total removal is a bad idea, people will start thinking that they can create which project they want and do nothing on it. But again, I agree with you that one week is too short.
Ancien traducteur amateur EN/FR / Ex-Amateur EN/FR Translator
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Well, even with the current rule, there are projects in which almost nothing was translated.
----
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

I agree that we should remove the "one week deadline", as it puts useless pressure on new translators, and it isn't even enforced anyway.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Nurin »

Misogi wrote:I'm requesting the removal of the "one week deadline" rule, as it isn't applied anymore and it can give pressure to new translators.
Indeed it can be removed, I approve that way of thinking :wink:
Devenk83 wrote:Maybe something more like one mouth ? But I think the total removal is a bad idea, people will start thinking that they can create which project they want and do nothing on it. But again, I agree with you that one week is too short.
I think that it can be removed in a whole, but I'm not against just adding time.
Misogi wrote:Well, even with the current rule, there are projects in which almost nothing was translated.
That's the point I'm not against removing all of it :D

P.S. I don't think it's a pressure for the translators, but it just can become a bother in someways :(
Call me Nurin!

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I'll sum up my arguments in favor of removing this deadline:
- Not applied anymore.
- The delay is pressuring new translators who fulfilled the conditions for the pending tag's removal. Thus leading to fear of getting the project deleted (while it'll never be the case).
- The delay is too short, which may dissuade new translators from coming here.
- Less work for supervisors, who won't need to deal with "emergency" cases.

And in the case a project is created for nothing, well, it'll always happen. And some projects fulfill the conditions even before the project page is created.
----

Return to “Rules”