Published Locking Policy

Please read before posting! Also contains wiki policies and rules.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Voting: Published Locking Policy

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:39 am

I agree with this policy
80%
I disagree with the details of this policy (Details)
No votes
I disagree with this policy completely (please state alternative)
20%

Total votes: 10

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: Published Locking Policy

Post by onizuka-gto »

Well, it's been a while now and it seems pretty much set. hence this policy is in effect.

and all projects who have been confirmed with western publishing licences will be noted on the overview pages a sections detailing a link to a source confirming the licensing, a timetable of the publishing dates of each volume. I will give a minimum of 24hrs announcements before locking a script of any edits on any project.

Projects wishing to be exempted from this policy can be submitted, but will be judge on a case by case review by B-T administration staff only, who will hold a final decision with no case for appeal.

All decisions will be clearly explained on the project page if the submission is successful.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Macko Darlack
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Macko Darlack »

onizuka-gto wrote:specifically, when a novel series has been licensed to a English publisher, the concern stems that if we leave the concerned project script open to editing after the novel has been published for commercial purchase.
:?: :?: :?: mmmm, i got a question.... you mean that when a novel is licensed (and hence translated) IN english?? so... we other-language-translators can keep on working on them?? at least when they are not licensed in our respective languages??? or we cannot keep on posting on the wiki if licensed in english??
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

mmmm, i got a question.... you mean that when a novel is licensed (and hence translated) IN english?? so... we other-language-translators can keep on working on them?? at least when they are not licensed in our respective languages??? or we cannot keep on posting on the wiki if licensed in english??
nah, this has been discussed a bit already, but not sure where. As long it isn't licensed in the target language, you can translate it. It's just there will be no new english translations. However, this is only the case after the novel has been released, so all you have to do is order from Amazon or something. So you can translate from a locked English project, to Spanish, Russian, Italian, Greek, Hebrew, the list goes on. Oh Gosh, I just realized I want to start learning Hebrew, so I can bring these novels to the Israelites and stuff :) UNLESS There is a novel out in your target language, aka if Spice and Wolf has Volume 1 out and on the market for your language, then no you can't. Like that.
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

ok, got it, but got another thing... about spanish. well, it is true here in America and there in Europe (Spain) we speak Spanish, but it's kinda different... so, this rule applies for license on the language or the country??? I mean, as for anime, the licenses are not the same in Spain and here, as the type of language and idioms are not the same, yet understandable... i dunno if you get what I mean... i tried my best :D
ShadowZeroHeart

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

It should be by language. However, as you mentioned that it is somewhat different, the basis or foundation of the language seems to be similar if not the same. Therefore it is still considered Spanish, and furthermore you mentioned that it is still understandable. Therefore both the different types of Spanish should be considered one.

Example:
The English spoken in different parts of the world or even US or America itself are different in accent and stuff. But would you consider that they are all different English? They are all basically the same. And as they are understandable, there is no real need to differentiate them. Therefore they are all considered the same English in that sense.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

yes, but there's another matter. most things licensed in Spain are not licensed here at America, that was what i meant... so you mean that if there's a translation in one language, other countries speaking the same language must not translate?? i mean, if a novel is licensed in USA, to be sold in America, people in England cannot translate it if it's unlicensed there??? 'cause when i bought my book of harry potter, i had to decided between two different versions, UK and US, cause if it's right they're both english, it's still not the same english... (at the end i bought UK :roll: ) and as Krikit said, when the novel's licensed on the market for your language, and guess Spain-Spanish and America-Spanish market is different, yes...

and plz, don't think i try to cause trouble... i'm only affraid of the novels' state (yet i don't think some of the novels here are licensed in spanish), specially for ZnT... this is not a bad thing of mine :D only want to know how much it is possible to continue when licensed (if licensed) :D

regards!!! :D
ShadowZeroHeart

the market may be different, but you must admit that in a lot of areas they are still the same. So we may still get into trouble as it may also be difficult to differentiate between the few. For example, why is there only 1 version of B-T translations? For the comfort of ours, we can implement UK english version and US version. But they are still english. There is not much difference as long as people can understand them.

And yes, to my understanding, people in england are not allowed to translate a novel licensed in USA to be sold in America IN B-T as we cannot ban people from USA or America to read and edit our translations as well.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Meh, I never got to vote for this poll :roll:

Just an opinion though, I'm disagreeing with this policy totally. I guess it's a matter of ethics - when a project is licensed and released in the US, I simply find no reason for the translations to continue being hosted here. Maybe a chapter or a prologue as a teaser, but nothing more than that, really. It's based on the same principle that fansub groups (well, most of them anyway) operate.

Also, I feel that you should support the author by buying a translated copy, that's all.

And yes, this is coming from a translator in Malaysia, who is against hosting translation of works which have been licensed in the US. :roll:
/me claws out throat and dies
ShadowZeroHeart

HolyCow wrote:Meh, I never got to vote for this poll :roll:

Just an opinion though, I'm disagreeing with this policy totally. I guess it's a matter of ethics - when a project is licensed and released in the US, I simply find no reason for the translations to continue being hosted here. Maybe a chapter or a prologue as a teaser, but nothing more than that, really. It's based on the same principle that fansub groups (well, most of them anyway) operate.

Also, I feel that you should support the author by buying a translated copy, that's all.

And yes, this is coming from a translator in Malaysia, who is against hosting translation of works which have been licensed in the US. :roll:
Yes that is how some of us feel as well. However, it doesnt seem right to see that all your hardwork goes to naught. I mean, you work a few months to get one volume up, and it gets taken down, all of the translators and editors work all gone to waste. That sux in a sense of its own. At the same time, fans will not exactly like it that way. Especially if they have read half way in the volume. Both sides has its pros and cons, that is why we need to discuss about the topic and such. Naturally, since the poll guidelines are up, that means we can make a poll after a cooldown period.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

rest assured, that by default all projects will be enforced with this policy and if any further actions wish to proceed to the extent that requires the project to be delete will require a comrade poll.

GOTH project was an exception and as stated i will judge each project individually if petition for exemption. (i.e. hosted projects and others)

The only reason I allowed Holycow's action to stand on the deletion of the GOTH project is that it was initially a project that was entirely translated by him and secondly, it has a relatively small readership.

Besides, if there is a sufficient number of comrades who feel strongly about this, can simply poll the matter and i will take it into consideration, since i can necro-rise any wiki page.

so it's not entirely lost.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart

Sorry to revive such an old thread. (okay, maybe its not that old)
But I was reading through my course materials, and I came across something that I think maybe you guys should take a look at as well.

Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.(For many countries)
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/bern ... #P85_10661
List of countries here:
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ShowRes ... B&bo_id=17

Literary work protection, sounds familiar to what we do in any way?

Article 2(3)
(3) Translations, adaptations, arrangements of music and other alterations of a literary or artistic work shall be protected as original works without prejudice to the copyright in the original work.
And, from an article in Singapore, regarding copyright, may require checking from other countries though?
Copyright protects works like novels, computer programs, plays, sheet music and paintings. Generally, the author of a copyright work has the right to reproduce, publish, perform, communicate and adapt his work. These different exclusive rights form the bundle of rights that we call copyright. These rights enable a copyright owner to control the commercial exploitation of his work.

Copyright is a form of property. It can be licensed or transferred, either as an entire bundle (all of the distinct rights under copyright) or as a single, distinct right within the copyright bundle (e.g. only the right to reproduce).

For a work to be protected by copyright, it has to be original and expressed in a tangible form such as in a recording or in writing. Originality simply means that there is a degree of independent effort in the creation of the work. It is not a question of whether the work has creative merit.
These mean that B-T who did their own translations are independent and copyrighted under its name/our names? May help to clear up all the discussion over the copyright issues and stuff @@ What do you guys think?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ooooh.

Nice find Shadheart!

I've always wonder how do alternative language classes are taught, if you have a risk of court action when you translate something for an essay or something.

I always thought there must be some sort of protection for translating literature work for non-profitable educational and personal purposes.

@Onizukademongto
Akuma-Heika
Astral Realm

Post by Akuma-Heika »

[quote="Dan"]Great! Now how do we prevent our work from being plagerized?[/quote]
Pay for a copyright although it could get pricey. an option would be for this site to become a publishing firm. if they could get enough donations and have enough people help out it could be done. I think it would be neat a fansub site becoming a firm. although i would recommend waiting for the recession to end and wait a little bit afterwords for the inflation that will follow to end
ShadowZeroHeart

Akuma-Heika wrote:
Dan wrote:Great! Now how do we prevent our work from being plagerized?
Pay for a copyright although it could get pricey. an option would be for this site to become a publishing firm. if they could get enough donations and have enough people help out it could be done. I think it would be neat a fansub site becoming a firm. although i would recommend waiting for the recession to end and wait a little bit afterwords for the inflation that will follow to end
copyrights are pricey indeed.
If this site becomes a publishing firm, then we need to publish something to sell, which we need capital and customers. But with free online material, who would pay? Donations might work, so long as all B-T contributors have no objections, since this is a voluntary job, but its best to be kept free and easy. So the idea isnt really going to work. Probably not at least...

Besides, even if we do get donations, what should we do with them? I wont be surprised if B-T gets a certain amount of donations, but the usage should be reasonable... unless you wanna say to save up to make B-T into a firm, which would take years to say the least, HA!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

While these ideas are intriguing and all, it would shoot B-T way past the scope of why it was originally created.

Return to “Rules”