chapter 1 - clarifications

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

chapter 1 - clarifications

Post by Nandeyanen »

I searched for the other lunch mate Taniguchi, but he was not in the classroom; perhaps he went to the school canteen.
By canteen did you mean cafeteria? I assume you were using the definition of canteen where the definition is: a small cafeteria or snack bar, but I haven't heard canteen used for that definition that very often. I believe cafeteria or snack bar is more appropriate.
Then the fellow turned to Kunikida, who was trying to tidy up his Tupperware.
Fellow seems to have a positive connotation. I think that "person" would be more fitting, as it's more neutral. Also, I think "that person" might be more correct than "the person" (Assuming fellow is altered to person).
harunako
Astral Realm

Post by harunako »

1. Cafeteria sounds good.

2. Yes, that person is fine.
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Nandeyanen »

Hmm, I have never heard of a name called Suzumiya.
I suggest changing it to either, "Hmm, I have never before heard of a person named Suzumiya." or, "Hmm, I have never heard of the name Suzumiya before."
harunako
Astral Realm

Post by harunako »

"Hmm, I have never before heard of a person named Suzumiya"
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

How about: "Hmm, I have never heard a person by the name of Suzumiya before."
filthychimp
Astral Realm

Post by filthychimp »

I see two choices for that, depending on interpretation.

"Hmm, I haven't heard of anyone named Suzumiya before." Emphasizes that he doesn't know a specific person by that name.

"Hmm, I've never heard of a Suzumiya before." Emphasizes that he hasn't heard the name ever.

"A person" should be replaced be "anyone" because of the ambiguity. "Before" definitely needs to go at the end since it breaks up the flow of the sentence. He should be using a contraction here, since this is a casual conversation.
harunako
Astral Realm

Post by harunako »

"Hmm, I've never heard of a Suzumiya before." sounds better.

Return to “Volume 4 - The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第四巻: 涼宮ハルヒの消失”