Original Light Novel - Procedure

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Original Light Novel - Procedure

Post by Mystes »

Seems like many people want their own LNs hosted. Anyone wants to discuss for a procedure?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Original Light Novel - Procedure

Post by jonathanasdf »

Speaking from what I would like if I ever were to write my own LN (well, maybe a normal novel for next year's NaNoWriMo? Dunno), I agree that it'd be nice to have it accessible on the wiki and not just in the forums. That said, I expect there to be quite a few of these once people start knowing that they can submit them, so it might not be a good idea to have it in the sidebar.

Btw, what exactly is the definition of a light novel? That it's short? But Horizon's still a LN. That it has illustrations? But many novels have illustrations too. :\

And a completely unrelated question, why do they call it ラノ instead of ライノ? Actually I take that back, the second one sounds too much like Rhino and sounds stupid.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

:lol:

Well, I guess the definition of LN is a 'Serializtion' of novels for teens and young adults. However, sometimes, there's only a single-LN...damn, WTH is a LN?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

If I recall, they are called light novels because of their compact sizes in which the original Japanese volumes are in. If so, our current end products are not 'light'.

Considering how we focus on Japanese light novels, and how the people tend to just use our site to test their own writing and creativity, with no reference nor link to light novels(they are publishing compositions/stories), I am not sure whether to really support this...

Its like, "I have a story, and I have nowhere else to throw, so here!! tell me what you think!!". It kinda boosts popularity in a sense, but it would make B-T lose its focus. Which is why I think allocating another section(forums, or creation of a new area on wiki) for such works rather than on the sidebar is better.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

jonathanasdf wrote:And a completely unrelated question, why do they call it ラノ instead of ライノ? Actually I take that back, the second one sounds too much like Rhino and sounds stupid.
They are called ライトノベル, or simply ラノベ. I have never head of ラノ or ライノ as a standalone term. :lol:

As for the definition of light novels, debates are endless. There is simply no way a proper consensus may be reached, as it is too easy to suggest a counter example whenever someone brings up a suggested catch-all definition.

Currently the most objective and commonly accepted method is to refer to the novel labels they are published in. Novels published under the following labels may eligible to be classified as light novels. Novels that are not published under them may never be light novels, regardless of their content, size, or whether there is any illustration. This is the method accepted by all the major light novel rankings in Japan.

(Automatically regarded as light novels)
電撃文庫
電撃ゲーム文庫
富士見ファンタジア文庫
富士見ドラゴンブック
角川スニーカー文庫
MF文庫J
ファミ通文庫
スーパーダッシュ文庫
GA文庫
HJ文庫
ガガガ文庫
一迅社文庫
講談社ラノベ文庫
このライトノベルがすごい!文庫
星海社文庫
メガミ文庫
富士見ミステリー文庫
徳間デュアル文庫
ソノラマ文庫

(May be regarded as light novels depend on the availability of illustration, cover design and community consensus)
ハヤカワ文庫JA
C★NOVELSファンタジア
トクマ・ノベルズEdge
幻狼ファンタジアノベルス
朝日ノベルズ
講談社ノベルス
講談社BOX
星海社FICSTIONS
JUMP j-BOOKS
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

so このラノ is a contraction of a contraction? lol But I guess that's fine.

Ok, then, a slight mistake on my part, but my original question still stands. why is it ラノベ not ライノベ :|
Last edited by jonathanasdf on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Hm, and I thought the light means a lighter Japanese, for a younger reading audience.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”