Creating an Afilliate's list of LN's

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Creating an Afilliate's list of LN's

Post by Poke2201 »

Teh_ping wrote:You guys do realize that all these is for naught if TLG or Oni don't agree with that, right? And to be honest, there isn't really much urgency in this, so if you guys want to demand for changes, ask for them one at a time, and do not be too forceful.
Didn't I say that like 5 or 6 posts ago XD? I was just getting ideas. I can't do anything, but someone who can would probably read this at some point.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

This whole board's main topic of discussion is about us out reaching to other tranlslators of Light Novels, asking about hosting and/or linking their translations.

The main argument was about linking to specific chapters from sites that won't let us copy their text. I'm certain someone has the specific email exchange (for what they said), but until one of our admins determines whether we can link to specific chapters within that group, it will remain the way it is.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Poke2201 wrote:Maybe we should make the sidebar even bigger lol? Or add it to the main page. Anyone seem like that would be better?
Hmm...I think a bit longer would be even better. :mrgreen:

I don't think that size of the sidebar is a concern. It could still manage to attract people.

Though does someone know how to make a mobile version of the website and/or forums? I think it will ease the access.

Ip, I think that directly linking to chapters feels a bit wrong...I mean, it feels as if we're indirectly ripping off their work...

(BTW, is your username LP or iP? :oops: :lol: )
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Rajikai »

It's LP. I also thought it was Ip, for Internet protocol, but guess I was wrong... The mobile forum I suggested it earlier, But the topic was closed... Lol. Anyways, if quira wants it, I'll look into it.

I think the sidebar is just fine for now.
1,550/3,400
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Eusth's suggestion makes the most sense to me. A directory is different from a project. Even if you are only doing links, creating a project page and providing links under that page makes it seem like it's a project started by BT, or a joined project. A directory that links to them separate from the project sidebar is a different story. Then there's the question of how it should be done, who is doing it, the ease of it, and how to maintain it, should we ask other groups to update them themselves, follow tlwiki format, or follow MU format? Lots of other things to consider. As staff come and go, ease of maintenance and updating is the most important thing, that's why I second Vaelis's emphasis on keeping things simple as much as possible.

But before all that, lp113, like I said, I'm not saying "don't make suggestions". But talk is cheap, and you may wonder why I talked about action vs talk in this case. Because, with such an OP, I'd expect to see a list of light novel translation sites posted in one of the posts from you, when you are providing the suggestion in such a passionate way. How many have you found? I have searched high and low, and I know some of the people who are doing it. The only reliable one is CE translations, and I happened to be friendly with the founder. I know some fansubs have random translations, and a solo-er (whose site I can't remember) that has nice online reader format, and a few others who have licensed series. I don't know other dedicated light novel groups which have survived more than one volume of translation other than these (most of them died after one chapter). If we have so few groups on the web, do we really need a directory? Maybe, but I don't know the answer myself and what to do from now, but you can at least provide some data and research instead of just talking passionately about it, which is still fine, except for a few offending posts. I speak my mind since you are not a customer of mine. All this work can be classified as 'contributions'. And I'd like remind that something good doesn't mean it will get done, because everything has its cons, which can outweigh the good. I only see the benefits stated but not the analyses from the other side. Even some of our spammers have done good contributions in stuff like the outreach program, etc etc., and the higher ups accepted and agreed because they went about it the right way, and even for those, it took time.

With regards to editing, I'm sorry if I hurt your pride. Editing and dedicated editing are two different things, and I'm not sure whether you are a dedicated editor or not. Check with Kadi, the CSR team, or Tact if you want to know about dedicated editing. Still, thanks for your edits.

I may not be posting anything in the next four days.
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

I understand your point of view. I made this post due to darklor's post that Me, as a user, didn't even see until recently even though I have been on this site for a long time. As seen here,viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4774 there are many such sites that translate novels. The whole point that I'm getting at is B-T should try and connect all of these small groups together. Trying to find these sites on google by itself is a hard undertaking. And if its one or two volumes, doesn't that kind of make it like a stalled project that a translator that comes by can continue on B-T? By providing these LN's to the B-T community it wouldn't it increase the chance of a passionate reader to decide and help with the project on the site that it's hosted by?

Edit: And to Poke's suggestion, I'll try to come up with my own concept of how B-T could possibly make the series pages, anything to help.
Edit 2: here it is: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... eries_List Didn't finish yet but thats how it will work
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Many of those (little) groups arent really interested in a cooperation with B-T. Maybe B-T is to big for them too little control over their projects, dont like our politic / rules or want to do their own thing, want their freedom. Some few were interested and now we host their projects too, but they are a minority.

And to those few afilliated exist already links: On the project pages.

---

Once I thought about linking to all of the translated Earl and Fairy chapters on our teaser page, but in the end I didnt do it because its too much work to find all those scattered chapters in the blog...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
X the Unknown
Astral Realm

Post by X the Unknown »

larethian wrote:But talk is cheap, and you may wonder why I talked about action vs talk in this case. Because, with such an OP, I'd expect to see a list of light novel translation sites posted in one of the posts from you, when you are providing the suggestion in such a passionate way. How many have you found? I have searched high and low, and I know some of the people who are doing it. The only reliable one is CE translations, and I happened to be friendly with the founder. I know some fansubs have random translations, and a solo-er (whose site I can't remember) that has nice online reader format, and a few others who have licensed series.
There's Nostalgia on 9th Avenue who's doing Atsuko Asano's No.6 series. He(?) has been consistent with half a chapter a week for the last six months and is almost halfway through the series.

http://9th-ave.blogspot.com/
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

^It's fine, I guess...

He solo too?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”