Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Post by hobogunner »

Well, I mean, we're only doing this for our number of readers to go up, I was looking more for ways to make the number of forum goers increase.

The Blog idea does not sound very good to me.

The other one(s?) sound decent enough to implement.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by carj »

same as hocchan i dont think the blog is a good idea

as for the new main page, news as what? updates(god i would love it, easier to tweet)? status? or what kind of news?
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Basically, chapter completions, or volume completions. Or else.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Kira0802 wrote:Basically, chapter completions, or volume completions. Or else.
XD we need to find the popular LNs that arent TLed in Japan. Once we get a few people interested in translating them, we launch with a few chapters done.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

One thing B-T should be doing is watermarking/credits page on the PDF/MOBI/EPUB files. Give credit where it is due.
You might want to add a little watermark or add another page staying:
"This translation is a free provided by www.Baka-Tsuki.org : not for sale, rent, or auction"
in your next update. It is true that some people would actually sell your work without you noticing. (since some other website forums link the pdf's without the person being aware of where it came from).
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

That is certainly a good idea, and I do agree that we are slightly too trusting, however, with the text available on our original site, and the fact that anyone can make a .pdf....even if carj starts doing it inside of his, it's all too easy to make another one......

Now, we could do a "If your .pdf does not contain "XXXXXX" then it is not officially endorsed by Baka-Tsuki", however, unless we went to that extent I don't really see many things changing.
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Reminds me of how (I heard) some people are making book versions of Index and selling them for US$10 in USA...
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Teh_ping wrote:Reminds me of how (I heard) some people are making book versions of Index and selling them for US$10 in USA...
Ain't happening here in Canada. Though the fact that we're a wiki makes it too yeast to simply copy/paste it.

Anyone knows how come no one tries to sell OpenOffice programs? If they have a solution, then it could apply to us, maybe.
Kira0802

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Sadly, it can't, you're referring to a program (that just requires not giving source code)....unless we went underground and only gave certain people the write to view the wiki, and then have some make .pdfs (with the watermark), we really have no way to control the flow of our stuff....
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Mother of Buddha, Hocchan, are you posting at 4 in the morning?

I just thought that we could simply...add a password to those files. To ours. And the only way to gt the password would be to register in the forums.
Kira0802

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Yeah, my phone wakes me up when I get an email, I'm going back to sleep soon, posting on my iPad in bed. :?

If we add a password to them, that will encourage people to spread them around more....that's the main problem......(I wouldn't want to put on a password for something I could google and download.) I suppose our main issue is, as previously stated, that we cannot control the flow of things ourselves....I mean, think about torrents and everything else. I'm certain companies don't want their products to flow through illegal downloads, but there is barely anything they can do about it. The watermark deters it, as would the whole "If it doesn't contain 'XXXXX' then it is not endorsed by baka-tsuki", however these are all simply deterrents, getting rid of the problem entirely is impossible.

Edit: I just p.m.ed Simon about this idea:

How would having all of our .pdfs have a page after the front cover giving the title, author, translator, and editor, while having at the bottom one of those watermarks or something like that sound?

Edit 2:

Bleh, just P.M.ed it, Oni, remind me to inform you.
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

awww goddammit my phone deleted my post......I'm in class but read everything I agree to the idea but will look into it later
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

I already made this page before reading about the issue currently discussing here.

I do feel the need to give proper credit to translators & baka-tsuki.org, but there are a few things I cannot comply.
- I put this page on very last page, just before back cover.
- I'm against watermarking anything.
- While I appreciated all editors here, there are just too many editors to properly give credit to (all anonymous edits on wiki included) so I only included translators in credits page.

If not following one of those above is not acceptable, please notify me and I'll remove all of my PDFs and stop distributing them.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Think it's good. But can you mark in small characters, like in the bottom of the page, "Baka-Tsuki" or something? Ah, and adding something about the TLG's agreement or something would be good. (http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Copyrights)
Kira0802

j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

eh someone already posted the pdfs of toaru on jcafe's ebook section, without due credit for translations

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”