Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Post by carj »

ok im at home now, well my plan when i started doing the PDFs was to put something like that n gave up on the idea since i didn't find a "good" way to put w/o it looking ugly and i never thought the PDF would get that much demand but yea its gotten to a lvl it needs to have all that info

ive been thinking about it and i also agree with BeginnerXP in this:

-I put this page on very last page, just before back cover.
-I'm against watermarking anything.

the first one mostly cuz the LN commonly group the colored pages there and it just doesnt seem right to put it there while at the end its not a guarantee ppl will see it but i feel its more fitting, but im willing to do as the higher-ups say in this regard, now for the second one..... *EDIT: oh just read the PM xD ok nvm about the watermark you just meant on the credit page

*EDIT: ok yea my bad if any1 read but the idea of locking the PDF to prevent printing is not good, i originally started doing them cuz a friend wanted to print so he could read, well quoting beginnerXP
BeginnerXP wrote: But what about legit reader who downloaded PDF but cannot read the tablet screen for extend period of time, thus need to print it ? I'm sure many people cannot stare at computer screen for long, my dad included, that's why e-ink screen of Kindle is so great.

This is only my opinion, please do not offend by it. I do think if we put too much restrictions it'll only turn people away.
Baka-tsuki is non-profit community founded by people who loves light novels and want to let more people know about those wonderful series. It is sure to have a few bad people in every community, in our case, people who makes money off the work which others do without asking anything in return. But if we put too much restrictions on how we distributing stuffs it might defeats the purpose of introducing Light Novels to the mass, and also might hurt legit readers who are majority. Those minority leechers can always find a way around the restrictions no matter what we do anyway.
a work around this is doing what i said earlier putting "Translated by Baka-Tsuki" in the footer.......another thing we, the ones that make the PDFs, is not release the .doc, we're just making it easy to modify our work and those who sell wont do anything at all, the PDF is harder to modify or even extract info
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

You guys might want to make a global sticky about this on the series pages. With a guide to how to make it or a page template already set up for them to just download and add.

And to the watermarking, I'm talking about like a small line in like the header or something, not a big picture or logo. Just reads (Provided by www.baka-tsuki.org) on every page... But beginnerxp your too pro... since you already have info there, idk where you can even put this.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

The initials "BT" or "TLG" should be enough, right?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Hell, include a credits page of the exact same thing at the end. (Include the editors too, sorry editors, there were just too many of you....)

Then for the rest of the book a footer / header?

I've never done epubs, so I don't know how they work, but for a pdf, I hyperlinked the entire image at the bottom to our site, and made sure to put text (for those printers) stating where to find our stuff.

Along the lines of password protection: I suppose we could lock them out from being edited, but nothing more, that way if they print them, our page at least comes out with it. (I mean, cracking the .pdf v just hitting print? Which is easier? XD )

That's all I have to say on the subject, I'll check in during halftime.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

That seem's fine since it's a separate title page. As long as you include the novel's original page it should be fine. It's just like how beginnerxp's is in the end yours is in the front. Doesn't change much, just consistency. What they were talking about was that huge watermark on everypage being a 'No, No'

Kira0802 wrote:The initials "BT" or "TLG" should be enough, right?
Nope, if you downloaded it from like Mangafox forums that someone posted.. You would have no idea what 'BT' even meant. you google it and get loads.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

lp113 wrote:What they were talking about was that huge watermark on everypage being a 'No, No'
Yeah, which isn't the idea mostly. I agree we should add something on the corner of the pages saying that it's us, but other than that, the official image will only go on our title / credits page.

(I don't even make .pdfs, why am I in the middle of this? :lol: )

Also, sorry, but I'm editing up my post above, most of what I said was sent by P.M.
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Well I think that a credits page is good, but the question is, will it be obvious or subtle? Id rather have a subtle one.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

As long as it has the baka-tsuki.org in it. Since this is the 'outreach', people will recognize where they are getting these pdf's and such from to hopefully visit the site itself for news/updates.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

maybe making the homepage more appealing...
1,550/3,400
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Rajikai wrote:maybe making the homepage more appealing...
Problem is that it's a wiki.
Kira0802

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Exactly. Thus concludes why it can not happen. There is no special reason besides the forums. And since we cannot change the wiki...

Now the question stands... how to make it more appealing?
1,550/3,400
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Make a "featured LN of the week" or something like that.
Kira0802

BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

To my understanding, aside from dedicated credits page, we also want to put small text/logo on header/footer of every pages saying content is provided for free and must not be sold. I captured this random page off my PDF and added the text with Photoshop to see how it will look like:
To be honest, I considered this as a type of watermark, which is distracting so I prefer to avoid it.

About my credits page being on the back, I followed the way original version of LN does. Which is putting credits page behind everything else, just before advertisement pages & back cover. I'm the type to read everything from first to last page, if I'm not, I'll just skip credits page no matter where it located anyway.

But I'll wait until community reached the final agreements on general guidelines of how PDFs to be made before deciding on my further action.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

BeginnerXP wrote:To be honest, I considered this as a type of watermark, which is distracting so I prefer to avoid it.

About my credits page being on the back, I followed the way original version of LN does. Which is putting credits page behind everything else, just before advertisement pages & back cover. I'm the type to read everything from first to last page, if I'm not, I'll just skip credits page no matter where it located anyway.

But I'll wait until community reached the final agreements on general guidelines of how PDFs to be made before deciding on my further action.
Yeah, that is oddly long to put at the bottom of a page......would just "Baka-Tsuki" not suffice for everything there ? And put that quote on the actual title / credits page?

Also, the Title page is mostly there because not everybody can read the japanese on the front cover, and even LNs have Title Pages that say the author / series title....putting that in english simplifies things, I think. (Especially since these are not uploaded to the wiki, since they aren't vital to the book.)
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

or we could alternate: odd pages have "translated by Baka-Tsuki" and even pages have "Not for sale/rent" (or "This is a FREE translation")

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”