Sidebar Changes

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Sidebar Changes

Post by Hiyono »

Didn't notice this earlier, but another thing about the new sidebar - why intentionally highlight abandoned series? That seems counterproductive.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

The dynamic sidebar seems interesting but it requires an account, right? I'm not sure if anons will want to register just so they can customise their reading experience.
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

Hiyono wrote:Didn't notice this earlier, but another thing about the new sidebar - why intentionally highlight abandoned series? That seems counterproductive.
I think it's intended to prevent someone from making a new project page for it when they don't see it on the main project list, or prevent a flood of readers asking for translations of abandoned series.
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

hayashi_s wrote:The dynamic sidebar seems interesting but it requires an account, right? I'm not sure if anons will want to register just so they can customise their reading experience.
That, and only big boss can add the functions.
swifter76
Astral Realm

Post by swifter76 »

I am going to throw my two cents into this discussion.

Penny 1:

While I appreciate the cleanup and the work you have done to make the sidebar better I liked the old layout. I agree with Gohankuten in his opinion as I too just look for the new projects on the sidebar. I also liked seeing the list of projects in the sidebar as I would finish a volume and use the sidebar to jump to a new one.

Penny 2:

I have been reading the other comments in this post and have noticed that there were references to a dynamic sidebar where they could put the series they follow into the side bar. Is that true? I cannot find how to do so.

But in general I like the changes to the sidebar, but if there was a way to customize or to just return the projects that are being translated tab back to the bar I would be even happier.

I am not making this post to just stir up trouble, and I am grateful for all the people that continue to make Baka-Tsuki better.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

And yeah, I like the customizable sidebar.. look through the series, pick up the ones you're interested in and add them to the sidebar. I think that's quite reasonable?
I like the customizable layout, add bookmarked series to side bar of the user's choice. (Would probably need an account for this feature)
The default could be all the series on the side bar, but under [+] collapsible tabs like series names A-D, E-I, etc that you would have to open. (Some people might find this annoying or others convenient)

For the new projects, we could create a new category for them such as "New English Projects" and after 2-3 month's add them to regular lineup or feature a new light novel on the main page every once in a while.

P.S. We cannot satisfy everyone's needs, people will complain regardless one way or another.
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

Can we rename the "popular series' as 'recommended series' if we're going to be liberal anyway?

Also, I'm not sure about the techs of the wiki pages, but can we make a 'most watchlisted projects'? This would be more fair, and we don't have to use the page count thing.
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Passing feedback from the Wiki:
Opinions about this new catergorizing[edit]

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I think I prefer the previous version of the list than the current one. The reason is that it's easier to look down the list ABC order on the sidebar than pressing the link to view the light novels. I personally hope that the format will go back to the one in the past. Still, this is ONLY my personal opinion, not sure about everyone else. - Flowers-LavDai 20:41, 12 June 2014 (PST)
You should probably change either "Yahari Ore No Seishun Rabu Kome Wa Machigatte Iru" on the side bar to it's English name, or change the English name to the Japanese one in the "Main Projects" page. It might be a little confusing otherwise. Also, anyone who is reading Yahari on their phone has it switched over to it's English name without any prior indication. - Censura 00:14, 13 June 2014 (PST)

I agree with the previous person about the light novel links. It was much quicker to get where I wanted to go when they were in a collapsible list on the side. I check multiple LNs frequently, and having to scroll all the way to the top, click "main Projects", and then search through there adds extra unnecessary steps to my browsing experience. Please add that option back to the site.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
Talinnilat
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Talinnilat »

I liked the brief period where it was broken up alphabetically.

Currently:
Project Presentation
Recent changes
Pending Projects
Teaser Projects
Main Projects
Audio Novel Projects
Categories
Network
Top 30 Popular Series
Completed Series
Visual Novels
Original Light Novels
Abandoned [Eng]

Suggestion:
Recent Changes
Popular series (Can contain current anime seasons for example)
Series (A-F) (Just random letter ranges for now, preferably fairly even sizes if possible)
Series (G-M)
Series (N-Q)
Series (S-Z)
Completed Series
Pending Projects
Teaser Projects
Original Light Novels
Audio Novel Projects (if this is more popular than Originals then move it up one spot)
Visual Novels
Categories
Abandoned [Eng]
Project Presentation (Though I don't think most will know what this means, Project Format Explanations or Project Outlines might be more clear. Don't think most readers really care so should be nearer bottom.)
Print/export
Toolbox

Popular, Series (? - ?) and Completed series should overlap and have a note at the top saying that. Why? Because it's a pain to remember which category things are in for people if they are looking at multiple series. So Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai would be listed in: Popular, Series (N - Q) and Complete. I understand why people would prefer a series be only in one section but if a random reader forgets it's completed or popular, they can always look in the alphabetical section for faster browsing.

Can I also suggest here that the Teaser page be broken up into two sections? An active list at the top and then an idle/halted list below it? With an explanation at the very top saying 'Active only means it has been updated in the last 12 months, there's no guarantee of new updates' or something similar? I don't know how easy that is to setup.

I'd also suggest new Category tags 'Anime', 'Manga', 'Live' to go with 'Visual Novel'. I know we don't link to those types of things but I do think a lot of people will be curious after reading a light novel if there is an anime or manga adaptation and that gives them a free hint. A few people might browse by that, read the novels of all animes first then go watch the series.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Personally I like the idea of X monthly recommendations more than top 30 popular. Not sure how the current list of 10 was generated, but it might be fun to have a monthly vote in the forums or facebook page in the future.

I'm imagining something where people vote by checking off a list, where any series that was in the recommendations in the last X (2-4 ?) months is disqualified. And then just list whichever series get the most votes. I've never run a public or semi-public vote before, so I don't know how much you'd have to worry about people spamming multiple votes. And there are no doubt other ways to go about it by doing something similar.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”