Official Wattpad Page?

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

DoctaRock
Astral Realm

Official Wattpad Page?

Post by DoctaRock »

So I just found the wiki last night because I was starting to read the Haganai lite novel series. The thing is that I like to read on my phone in bed, but I also wanted a nice interface to read on. Then I found a solution, use Wattpad. I posted the first part of the novel to see how it works and it easy to do. I planned to post the whole series, but wondered about permissions and stuffs. Then I had the idea, what if we made an official wattpad page for Baka Tsuki?

I would be happy to do this work by myself if anything, but I'd like to know if this is ok to do. Or other thoughts?
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Official Wattpad Page?

Post by Cthaeh »

Someone else can chime in too, but I believe the standard policy would be that you ask for permission from the person(s) who translated the volume(s) before posting the translations anywhere else, such as Wattpad (and you should also credit the translator). I'm not too sure about reading on the phone myself, but if you're using an Android phone, there's a BT app for that (viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5389). If you're using Apple, then I think someone recently started working on one, but I don't think it's ready yet. Other than that, I don't know if things like epubs can be read on phones, but you should be able to find those around if they can.

Not knowing about either reading on phones or wattpad, I can't say if a BT page would be reasonable or not. It seems like it would just involve a lot of copy pasting and reformatting. However, I think the apps are a better long term solution, since all the text on BT is in theory dynamic, in that people can fix typos or revise it at any time. If we copy pasted it once, then those changes don't get carried over, but they do if using an app that refreshes directly from BT.
DoctaRock
Astral Realm

Post by DoctaRock »

Thanks, I think what I'll end up doing is transferring the text to wattpad for personal use and have it set to private until the app comes out. Then delete it as long as it's ok.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

No, you're not allowed to submit to Wattpad things that you don't have permission from the copyright holders (i.e. the original Japanese publishers/authors).

Quoted from the Wattpad ToS (http://support.wattpad.com/hc/en-us/art ... of-Service):
You shall be solely responsible for your own User Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. In connection with User Submissions, you affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Wattpad.com to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions and have all necessary consents to collect, use and disclose any personally identifiable information contained or displayed in any and all User Submissions to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service.
Posting fan translations, which are technically copyright infringement in the first place, is against Wattpad rules. This also means they will be taken down immediately if anyone reports them to Wattpad.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”