Page language and recent changes sorting

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Page language and recent changes sorting

Post by Cthaeh »

This is more a question to gather opinions and information than a well defined proposal at the moment, but would it be useful to mark pages as a specific language, and then be able to filter the recent changes page based on language?

Edit: Spoiler tag is old discussion on feasibility which I answered for myself (my first idea would not have worked). To actually make it work would involve renaming all pages, which is possible, see here.
Spoiler! :
And then the next big question, does anyone know if it's technically feasible? The Translation extension probably does something like that, but the process of going through the extension's translation process seems cumbersome to me. I'm not sure if I actually understand this correctly, but this page, under section "Manually changing page language," seems to describe a method to set individual page language if the wiki is configured that way.

Assuming that there's a way to do it, it'd add the upkeep cost of sorting new pages. There's order 500 new pages a month, which seems reasonable to me. The issue of sorting existing pages is probably more intimidating.

Edit: After looking into this a bit more, I think this idea is sunk. Apparently the CleanChanges filter translations doesn't look at the page language codes, but rather the "/xx" appended onto the title by the Translate extension. So it would involve renaming every page, rather than just setting page language, which is definitely not worth it.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Page language and recent changes sorting

Post by Darklor »

Hm, isnt that what the language setup under preferences does use?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Page language and recent changes sorting

Post by Cthaeh »

Darklor wrote:Hm, isnt that what the language setup under preferences does use?
I don't think so. What I'm referring to is being able to go to the recent changes page and see only changes related to English projects and chapters, or only changes related German projects and chapters. I thought I looked through all existing preferences, but if there is a way to do it now I'd love to know it (I was pretty sure there isn't).

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”