Suggestion: Offshore servers

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

shdonald
Astral Realm

Suggestion: Offshore servers

Post by shdonald »

Hi. First of all, thanks for this wonderful website where people can read light novels. I like your website and it's contents very much, but DMCA notices are very irritating. So I wanted to ask whether you considered moving to offshore servers (i.e. somewhere in Switzerland). That way you would be ignore those things. Of course I know that some part of the licensed works' profits will go to authors and I would be happy to buy them (like many others I want to support the authors and besides I like to collect them), but official translations are released very slowly.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
FighterFei
Astral Realm

Re: Suggestion: Offshore servers

Post by FighterFei »

shdonald wrote:Hi. First of all, thanks for this wonderful website where people can read light novels. I like your website and it's contents very much, but DMCA notices are very irritating. So I wanted to ask whether you considered moving to offshore servers (i.e. somewhere in Switzerland). That way you would be ignore those things. Of course I know that some part of the licensed works' profits will go to authors and I would be happy to buy them (like many others I want to support the authors and besides I like to collect them), but official translations are released very slowly.

Moving the servers offshore only *ignores* the problem. In fact, a lot of the pages they requested for deletion were already considered abandoned, and were pages containing release info. It's highly likely that the company ran a sweep, saw "there are pages" and simply requested their deletion regardless of content. Re-activated projects like Shana would be legitimate, but you can't tell me that Spice and Wolf, Black Bullet, Accel World, and Index (as examples) deletions were legitimate requests, given that they contained little to no copyrighted content. If you noticed, there's no longer an "abandoned" tab and I can hazard a pretty good guess as to why--they were not made in good faith, but fighting them is much more expensive than acquiescing.
Indekkusu
Astral Realm

Post by Indekkusu »

FighterFei wrote:
shdonald wrote:Hi. First of all, thanks for this wonderful website where people can read light novels. I like your website and it's contents very much, but DMCA notices are very irritating. So I wanted to ask whether you considered moving to offshore servers (i.e. somewhere in Switzerland). That way you would be ignore those things. Of course I know that some part of the licensed works' profits will go to authors and I would be happy to buy them (like many others I want to support the authors and besides I like to collect them), but official translations are released very slowly.

Moving the servers offshore only *ignores* the problem. In fact, a lot of the pages they requested for deletion were already considered abandoned, and were pages containing release info. It's highly likely that the company ran a sweep, saw "there are pages" and simply requested their deletion regardless of content. Re-activated projects like Shana would be legitimate, but you can't tell me that Spice and Wolf, Black Bullet, Accel World, and Index (as examples) deletions were legitimate requests, given that they contained little to no copyrighted content. If you noticed, there's no longer an "abandoned" tab and I can hazard a pretty good guess as to why--they were not made in good faith, but fighting them is much more expensive than acquiescing.
They targeted the illustrations for Spice and Wolf, Indonesian, Polish and Russian translations of Accel World, Index SS novels were still on the site and was targeted, Black Bullet was the Indonesian translation. They were all in good faith and targeted infringing content.
himuragaming
Astral Realm

Post by himuragaming »

i would be willing to host it if you guys would want. i would be willing to pay for the 20 dollars per month fee
email me btw at [email protected]

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”