Manga Translation Forum Section

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Manga Translation Forum Section

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I was wondering if we could make a limited access section for the Manga translators to put up raws. Would be much easier to distribute and plan out who is doing what, plus it would keep the raws away from non-manga team members keeping somewhat in line with the Raw Distribution rule. Thoughts anyone?
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Re: Manga Translation Forum Section

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:I was wondering if we could make a limited access section for the Manga translators to put up raws. Would be much easier to distribute and plan out who is doing what, plus it would keep the raws away from non-manga team members keeping somewhat in line with the Raw Distribution rule. Thoughts anyone?
Putting up raws would be a little bad? how about PMs? But a page for the project showing who is doing what should be fine?
That is how we have been dealing with novel raws isnt it?
Even though manga raws are much bigger in file size and such, maybe just emailing secretly or something will do?
This is a better idea, since putting anything up in the forums allow non-project members to get their hands on them as well.

For example, I am working for Project A, but Project B interests me so I want to read it. Since I have access to the forums, I can get it easily.
Similarly for anyone who may have access to the forum area.

Therefore I think private messages should work best.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I'm talking about a limited access section. There would be a manga translation forum group created for it so that only people in that group can see the forum section. Therefore anyone not in the group wouldn't be able to view the posts or the raws. Then the rest of the manga forum sections can be open to anyone which will give updates on progress and who is doing what.

The private section for raws isn't really needed and it does break one of the rules, but I still wanted to toss the idea out there.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

personally don't like the restriction imposed, with a closed forum.

There must be a better way, besides hosting all the manga images on the forum, is a liability. we know how fragile the forums can be at times, it's not exactly helping when TGM is posting gigantic wallpapers.....
:roll:

It'll make me nervous that i have to rouse the Big Boss just to fix the forum and to some extent the wiki when all the pictures posted implode our lovely website...

well, maybe not. but the fear is there and it's real. D:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

I'm not saying use the forum to actually host the images, I have the raws hosted elsewhere already. I was just suggesting a place to archive them so people in the project could easily access it and download them. Having the forum host manga image by image... that's just crazy talk Oni! :shock:
ShadowZeroHeart

Just wondering... does this mean wiki manga can never be implemented? since that would require uploading of the manga raws/images right...? Then anyone would have access to it... And it could be considered as B-T hosting manga images up? Or...?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

but i think he's refering to the raws, not the translated.. but anyways, the translated can be hosted in a free server, right? :D dunno...
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Just wondering... does this mean wiki manga can never be implemented? since that would require uploading of the manga raws/images right...? Then anyone would have access to it... And it could be considered as B-T hosting manga images up? Or...?

I'm afraid so.

I'm not saying it cannot be done. The big boss can certainly do it.

Its whether he would do it.

The Big Boss specifically created the wiki to be used for novels and nothing else.

The hosting of raw manga and translated/scanlated manga would be a violation of his founding principles.

So, no. it won't be happening.

As for what TGM is talking about, you mean to create a specific forum to discuss and share manga via external file hosting links, to help collaborate with other.....right?

correct me if I'm wrong (again)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart

So if we do manga, basically it would be something not by thelastguardian. That is something we must think about and be responsible for... Are we sure we wanna do this? A small project or so still seems reasonable, but having a manga translation forum means that we are setting up a manga translation group, not under thelastguardian, and we will have to keep it alive somehow. Who wants to take charge of it then?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

onizuka-gto wrote:As for what TGM is talking about, you mean to create a specific forum to discuss and share manga via external file hosting links, to help collaborate with other.....right?
Correct. Read below. I describe the forum sections there.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:So if we do manga, basically it would be something not by thelastguardian. That is something we must think about and be responsible for... Are we sure we wanna do this? A small project or so still seems reasonable, but having a manga translation forum means that we are setting up a manga translation group, not under thelastguardian, and we will have to keep it alive somehow. Who wants to take charge of it then?
Shadow I think you are a bit off track. The manga translations would still be done under the Baka-Tsuki name and still use the wiki. It would all be voluntary just like the novels and done with the intent of learning.

Here is how I foresee things working:

Wiki - Used to host the translated text for the manga. A form of number/location coding will be used to identify where on the manga page the text belongs. Only under special circumstances will images be put up in the manga section on the wiki. When a chapter is finished the wiki will have a link to a corresponding forum post (see below).

Forum (private) - Used to archive links to offsite hosting for raw images.

Forum (public) - Used for manga releases by way of having dedicated threads for chapters which contain a link to offsite hosting. Used for manga translator and reader discussions.

Offsite Host - Used to store ALL images. Raws and completed translations. Sorted by chapter/volume.

This will keep it well under the rules that were set when BT was created (unless I missed something). I see this as being an efficient way to do it while still including the wiki in the process. Shadow brings up a point though with the question of who is going to oversee it. At the moment there is no need, but if more mangas are picked up, we should revisit that topic.

I'm going to move this to a public section of the forum so others can give some input.
ShadowZeroHeart

If i recall, links to offline hosting sites arent exactly welcome on B-T as well? Did that once before and I was told about it...

And yes, I was slightly off-track, because I do not really see much point in hosting a wiki manga with just the translations on wiki, and they have to get the manga elsewhere. It is similar to separating a movie into its video and its audio parts. People have to link them up themselves to watch the movie. Seems like a funny logic to me?

And from your description of the private and public forums, it is rather funny.

Both are used to link to offsite hosting for images, raws for private, releases for public. Yet is there really such a need for a raw image forum? Since usually a manga translation group is rather small in size, there is no need to go to such an extent of creating a forum just for the few of them. It may actually be easier to just email/PM each other about it. This is what I think about this idea.

Edit:
But personally a sub forum for all related issues about manga translations should be good though
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

links to external file hosts are fine, just be aware that you make sure they do not have H-rated advertisement.

Sub-forum is what i'll do, probably in the auxiliary bridge or just under the manga & novel Discussion forum.

Haven't decided.

Still not convinced about having another forum just to keep the raw manga.

i think you can just use the administration froum. After all, its not like it's open to all, and frequently used anyway... :roll:

Shadheart, i understand the point that for people to use the text on the wiki in conjunction with the manga images, But I think it's quite fitting, we aren't a dedicated scanlation community, we just doing this for fun & learning purposes.

This makes it easier for everyone, editing text into manga can take a lot of time and I think rather then waste time for releases because people must wait around to have them edited into the manga images and clean them, then release,

we just put the script there, have the community look it over, and if you have time...

well someone will come around and use the script and release it for everyone.

As long as the wiki pages have clear instructions as to how to label the script to the manga panels then I think it's enough.

You might think it's stupid,

But I think people take scanlation and Japanese Anime/manga translation in general for granted, and we not here to baby anyone who thinks they will have everything handed to them on a silver plate.

You can't just complain and whine about the delayed release,

read it, complain and whine about the translation and image quality, then rinse and repeat.

If you want to help, then you are welcome to the community, but if you aren't, then you either be patient or do it yourself.

Simple. :wink:

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart

Wow, nice reply, i feel like a baddie already LOLz!

Yeah, i agree with what you said, but i still find it kinda dumb to have the text different from the images. Its dumb, but they have to work for what they want to, i have no complaints at all LOLz!

And Until B-T takes on more manga projects or work at it at a more frequent rate, or else there is no such need. There shouldnt be an entire forum for just 1/2 projects. It is rather pointless in that sense.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Wow, nice reply, i feel like a baddie already LOLz!

Yeah, i agree with what you said, but i still find it kinda dumb to have the text different from the images. Its dumb, but they have to work for what they want to, i have no complaints at all LOLz!

And Until B-T takes on more manga projects or work at it at a more frequent rate, or else there is no such need. There shouldnt be an entire forum for just 1/2 projects. It is rather pointless in that sense.
*rubs temples*

Alright, let me do a bit more explaining since you still don't understand. :|

When I was listing the forum parts, I was obviously talking about making sections. Examples: Toradora section, Auxiliary Section, Manga & Novel section... I'm not insane enough to suggest making an entire new forum just for translating manga. :roll:

Manga "releases" will be completed products. The text will be added to the images and hosted offsite. Again I'm not insane enough to have people go back and forth trying to put the words in places themselves and not supply a complete project. :?

The only reason I wanted to create a private forum section for the raws was to get around the "no supplying raws" rule. If possible though I would love to cut that part out and just have them public in the same forum as the release and link it on the wiki page. This way anyone can help work on them be it either cleaning the images, or editing the text with proper context help.
ShadowZeroHeart

I got it when oni made his reply...
onizuka-gto wrote:Still not convinced about having another forum just to keep the raw manga.
That is where the forum part came from ~.~

And I was asking about wiki manga earlier. Not on Manga releases. I worked on PuiPui manga, of course i know about how manga releases work? >"<

And regarding that last part... Since links to external file hosts are fine... Does it really matter if they are raws or translated work? They are still not hosted on B-T...?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”