Proposal: Main Page Update

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Yorozuya
Astral Realm

Re: Proposal: Main Page Update

Post by Yorozuya »

The main page really does need to be updated. As for how, here is my suggestion:

Create sub sections under the Light Novels tab. Here you would have three sub sections, Completed: To put the completed novels (Tabi ni Deyou, Horobiyuku Sekai no Hate Made, Remebrances for a certain pilot, Iris on Rainy Days, Gekkou, Fate/Zero, A Simple Survey) under. In Progress: To put all the novels that are currently being worked on under. And, Inactive & Stalled: To put the Inactive and or stalled novels (7 nights, bokusatsu tenshi dokuro-chan, clanned another story, cubexcursedxcurious, durarara!!, read or die, ghost hunt, iriya no sora ufo no natsu, ginban kaleidoscope, kara no kyoukai) under.
As well as updating the Abandoned [Eng] Novels to include Welcome to the N.H.K.

I believe that updating and or creating these sections will not only aid users but will also make life easier for all the staff as you would only have to update the side bars instead of creating extra posts/categories and other additions. Also it shouldn't take too much work (I think, I'm no expert at html so I may be very wrong) as it stays in line with the same formatting you have now.

Sincerely
-Yorozuya
cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by cloudii »

So the main page.... has always kind of bothered me with its staleness. I think it's the lack of color and clear organization... I feel like the goal of a main page should be to draw readers in (especially new readers who have never read LN before), and not overwhelm them with miscellaneous content that more interests us veterans in the community.

So just as a test, I took the design at TLwiki (http://tlwiki.org/) and applied it to Baka Tsuki just to see how it would look.

The result below:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ain_Page_3
Last edited by cloudii on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

I like the idea, the style seems "unclean" to me. But that's easily corrected. The top ten need to be a bit higher up. But I really like the listing of top ten. Though, I don't think there needs to be so much info on them. Stuff 'em together more tightly to use the space smartly.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

^v^ I'm going to shift the page on my sandbox to http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ain_Page_3 (I'm overwriting the old proposed main page 3, but that one was identical to proposed main page 2....)

Cautr, if you'd like demonstrate what you have in mind, it'd be nice if you could just edit over it?
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Meh, work. :roll:

Maybe if I got time. I doubt the higher ups will be thrilled by such change anyway. So imma wait for feedback, yo!

cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

onizuka-gto wrote:Front page does need a revamp! I want more proposals on the wiki, linked back here, with a summary why it's good and why it's better and how it will work with the sidebar and not break the baka EX mobile app.

I will review it and put the ones that i like on a community wide poll. That is all. Make it so. I want it on my desk pronto. The dog has a biscuit. This is sparta.
I'm just passing the message from the Administrative Forum, but Oni is officially looking for new main page proposals.

If you have the skills for making the current BT-page look pretty, please feel free to design a sandbox page on the wiki, and place a link to it here. I will be consolidating the list of sample main pages and email the list of them all to Oni... on January 25th, 2014 (just place a tentative pseudo-deadline if you're considering making a proposal).

So... off with the Main Page sample-making bonanza!

List of Sample Pages Proposed: Proposed Full Project Pages:
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Some small feedback to the design itself:

Main Page (3): Like it the most. Dislike the big "Welcome to BT" thing. I deem it unnecessary.

Full Project Page: It's kinda too packed. The covers should be bigger as they're the eye-catchers.

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

one question i have about this main page, is the lack of links to alternative languages, information on the staff members to contact or the a place to add "notices" or "updates" if needed.

What are you solutions to these points within the new design?
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

onizuka-gto wrote:one question i have about this main page, is the lack of links to alternative languages, information on the staff members to contact or the a place to add "notices" or "updates" if needed.

What are you solutions to these points within the new design?
Are we looking at same page (Proposed Main Page 3)? T_____T I thought I left those sections in.... I moved them to the bottom of the page, but I still think they're there?

I actually don't mind how it's laid out. XD I just felt that several things needed to be added to how the current main page is:
  • A little dash of color
  • A brief "About Us" blurb that explains what Baka-Tsuki is
  • A little bit more organization to the updates
Otherwise, I don't really mind with the layout or anything. xD
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Just my 2 cents:

- Currently, I think the table for recently updated projects looks a bit too prominent. (That was my first impression at least) I would either move it down or reduce the number of rows.
- I'd love to see a link to a "getting started" / "how to contribute" page with an (up-to-date) step-by-step guide how to help as an editor or as a translator on an existing or a new project respectively. There are a few links in the news section, but they're a bit out of place there.
pumkingboyz
Reader

Post by pumkingboyz »

A bit late due to being new to wikitext but here my main page proposal

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... e_proposal
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

pumkingboyz wrote:A bit late due to being new to wikitext but here my main page proposal

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... e_proposal
Not bad at all. The administration section looks like a pyramid hahaha. :)
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Looks different, but doesn't really provide new features. It'd be nice to have some kind of quick project access for whatever projects who are picked for whatever reason, and/or some kind of updates feature. So I like yours more in a stylistic sense, while I like cloud's more in a functional sense.

pumkingboyz
Reader

Post by pumkingboyz »

For quick project access, I'll wait and see if there are any new changes to the Navbar, before deciding to do anything as I don't want to make it redundant. I did consider using something like twitterfeed extension or a twitter widget for updates, seeing as how Cloud is posting updates there but have yet to test it.

This is something out of my hand but I propose adding color/background to the the wiki header and NavBar by customizing the skin, something like this http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Roundedbluebig.png
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by Lery »

Do you know if the Wiki support

Code: Select all

-webkit-border-radius: 10px;
-moz-border-radius: 10px;
border-radius: 10px;
???
It would be nicer to have nice rounded corners around the boxes, no ?

EDIT : just tested and it does.
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”