For consideration: The Project Index

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Which format would you prefer? (Options described in first post)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm

60%
40%
No votes

Total votes: 10

Novium
Astral Realm

For consideration: The Project Index

Post by Novium »

English->series
Foreign languages->individual language->series

Active -> Project Forum -> Alt. Langauges
Complete(English) -> Project Forum -> Alt. Languages
Stalled/Dead(English) -> Project Forum -> Alt Languages

North America
South American
European
Asian
etc, each with the sub category of specific language.
Well, hello gentlemen,the occasional womenfolk and whatever else crawls in (don't mind: just trying to be funny. And failing I might add.).

Over to the issue implied:

I have recently been a bit perturbed on the lack of structure on the forum.
It seems weird that only some projects are listed under Active with a veritable horde of sub-threads.
This while others are banished to Aux.brigades or Hosted.

Thos this mean we value some projects over others? I sure don't think we should.
Also it makes some parts of the forum very hard to manage in terms of sorting out relevant information.
And foremost, it makes posting on subjects in said projects a damnable bother immersed in a pile of steaming -------. (don't mind, just having a bad day)

So, what do you guys think? Should we make it a rule that projects listed as active at the wiki are to be given their own Sub-forum under Active?

Added poll. - TGM
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: For consideration: The Project Index

Post by larethian »

I really love subforums for individual projects, though I know not what governs them. perhaps activity in the thread?
Astounding Bison
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Astounding Bison »

What is "-------" supposed to stand for? I can't think of any seven letter long nasty words that would fit there...

Anyway, I think if every project had a subforum under the "Active" section, it would just be a bother to scroll down the main page. As it is, some of the subforums only have a few topics that could easily be condensed into one in the Auxiliary Brigades section (Nogizaka, PuiPui), so I don't think it would help to make another subforum for every project.
Novium
Astral Realm

Post by Novium »

Anyway, I think if every project had a subforum under the "Active" section, it would just be a bother to scroll down the main page.
Easy, switch them to be located over the projects. I don't mind scrolling half a page to find what i want- in alpabetical order, instead of doing a 25 second search for it.

Think about it for a second, the project folders have about 20-40 threads. The Aux,all Gen has 200+.
If we spread them out the will become a lot more manageble for users and mods. And frankly, they don't belong in one corner.

If we cant give each one a subforum, them try to get them under the same mod, or the same translator like we did with Regios and To Aru.
Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Poke2201 »

Well here's what im recommending.

If anyone looks at the Franky House Translation group(Note: You cant see it right now, server upgrades be damned) their forum has a few big projects and then in their "Aux. Brigades" forum they have links to sub forums for each topic.

So: Forum(Main)--> Aux Brigade Forum --> Project 1 Forum
--> Project 2 Forum
--> Project 3 Forum

Explaining the above, the arrows are links. So Aux Brigades forums would be linked.

As a second idea, Alphabetizing the projects would help also.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

At the moment there are still some rules to be fulfilled before a project gets its own subforum...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Can I get a link to that?
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

As posted in the Sword Art Online forum some time ago...
Darklor wrote:I mean this answer from Oni to Nerevarines question: "When does a project get its own sub-forums?") in Re: Recruiting: Translators for C^3 ~CubexCursedxCurious~
onizuka-gto wrote: Actually it depends on the popularity of the thread and number of pages it has.

I won't tell you how many pages you need, as all it'll do is encourage you to spam.

as long there is significant activity then a sub-forum will be created.

no point making a sub-forum only to have only three topic threads and very very few activity.
After that my thoughts were: only with enough topics, exists a need for a own Sub Forum...

But with 36 pages you could also try and ask for a own subforum and wait and see if those 36 pages are already enough to justify a own subforum, so that the project can get a own subforum

Darklor

Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Ahh, its a logistical issue then. But is there any way we can split the projects in the Aux Brigade into Two sub forums of: A-L and M-Z or is that still too much?
Novium
Astral Realm

Post by Novium »

Can it not be said that the lack of activity on a project can be seen as a direct cause of the lack of comprehensible guiding to said project?
If I can't find what i want i'll:
1. Post in a somehow related thread.
2. Make a new thread.
3. Let it be because it's a damn bother.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Can you explain that in a less awkward way? Or at least give me clarity on comprehensible guiding.
Novium
Astral Realm

Post by Novium »

Poke2201 wrote:Can you explain that in a less awkward way? Or at least give me clarity on comprehensible guiding.
Well, I'll exuce myself with an apology; is was late over here.

What I meant was basically that users that don't find what they are looking for are in general greatly discouraged by it.
As such, they might :
-not post
-post a new topic in vain
-post a new topic without in an inappropriate place
- stop caring

Therefore I belive that categorizing things will improve the general posting frequency of a project/subforum.
As such, we can not measure a project by it's current activity: because there is not true way to measure it.
Posts implied are posts such as: issues with wording, questions and discussions about terminiology, chapter discussion a.s.o....

Hope that makes it clear. I'm not exactly a wordsmith; please have patience with my inability to phrase my thoughts.

Also; Sorry for not replying to you sooner Bison: Nogizaka and PuiPui are relatively small series that might fit under one Subforum because- Nogizaka only has one translator, PuiPui is inactive and as such should not be under Active. They should still get their own "official place" for general discussion...sticky threads perhaps?
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Novium wrote:Can it not be said that the lack of activity on a project can be seen as a direct cause of the lack of comprehensible guiding to said project?
If I can't find what i want i'll:
That is the reason why some project pages have gotten a direct link to their thread... ;)

Also the Aux Brigades section has only one page of project threads, but language subforums for the Alternate Language Section would be nice, since this section have already more than two pages of project threads.

Darklor

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Poke2201 wrote:Ahh, its a logistical issue then. But is there any way we can split the projects in the Aux Brigade into Two sub forums of: A-L and M-Z or is that still too much?

hmmmm...... :o
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Would that be better? I wouldnt think that...

Darklor

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”