Concerning these "numbered" threads (1000, 2000, etc)

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Concerning these "numbered" threads (1000, 2000, etc)

Post by Kinny Riddle »

First of all, please pardon and forgive me for being too old and thus unable to understand some of the 4chan-esque humour of these threads.

I know this is the Cognitive Dissonance Zone, where unlike that other stuck-up anime forum that claims to provide the best anime torrents (I know better sites that provide torrents of MORE series, licensed and unlicensed), we are allowed to write nonsensical posts as much as we please.

While I find thread titles like "why is the moon stupid" or "One must not... into Mordor" amusing, but I dunno, these "numbered threads" (e.g. 1000, 2000, 3000, etc) just seem to be a bit of an overkill for me.

For someone who rarely posts and has to rely clicking on the "View new posts" button to catch up on what's the latest stuff being discussed, these "numbered threads" end up clogging up my update page, meaning I'm unable to know if anything else interesting is being discussed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting to delete all these threads altogether, I'm not anal as to spoil your fun, but perhaps merging these numbered threads would save us all a lot of hassle, no?

Nothing has been decided yet, just floating this idea for you guys to think about.

Oni, what say you to this idea?
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Concerning these "numbered" threads (1000, 2000, etc)

Post by larethian »

Kinny Riddle wrote:For someone who rarely posts and has to rely clicking on the "View new posts" button to catch up on what's the latest stuff being discussed, these "numbered threads" end up clogging up my update page, meaning I'm unable to know if anything else interesting is being discussed.
I've mentioned this before and I totally agree. Not only that, but even the threads I was interested in end up getting derailed and I don't know whether to check them or not... now, I mostly only check Lingua discussions and Project (current and future) threads and Announcements. And I also filter quickly by "last poster" sometimes :P
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Currently discussing a fix for the CDZ with Oni, Kinny.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

In fact, these threads simply become some general discussion.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

The numbered posts were an old idea viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2781 awakened to new life to mark the milestones for everyone who got there so that not every user creates as an example a new 1000'er post...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

That was surely long time ago.
Kira0802

Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Darklor wrote:The numbered posts were an old idea viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2781 awakened to new life to mark the milestones for everyone who got there so that not every user creates as an example a new 1000'er post...
Admittedly, in the beginning that was a novel idea intended to reduce spam, but having more or more of these similar threads seems to have made a mockery of that original intention, IMHO.

At this rate, everyone will be celebrating every new post being made, even the latest Prime Number record for that matter, let alone round numbers, same numbers (1111, 2222), consecutive numbers (1234, 5678), etc. When's it gonna end?

Surely they can all be concentrated into the "Milestone Posts" thread, and strictly limited to round numbers for every thousandth post. I know it feels strange to have to set criteria for "randomness", but we are not 4chan, and neither should we mimick them.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Why don't we simply merge some instead of all? For example; 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 4000, 5000, 7500 and 10,000+
Kira0802

Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

kira0802 wrote:Why don't we simply merge some instead of all? For example; 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 4000, 5000, 7500 and 10,000+
Please elaborate. Not sure what you mean by merging "some instead of all", having them all as separate threads is just making them repetitive and redundant, and makes the forum looks less tidy and efficient.

Anyway, as long as they don't clutter up my "view new post" update page, I'm all ears for any suggestion.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

I don't mind if you merge them Kira's way or the way Kinny suggested or don't merge them at all, IF you just stick to those numbers and don't continue the discussions forever. AFAIK, those topics are used solely for spamming at the moment, and the post that ignited the spamming has often nothing to do with the number in question.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Does the forum has a choosing ability to 'unmark' CDZ topics? I mean, you click on an option for a topic so it won't appear in 'red'.

As for the posts separation I deas, I simply meant to regroup some topics into 5-6 'main' milestone topics.

Also, we can simply create another sub-division for general chat.

Finally, should we move this to the forum/wiki feedback thread?
Kira0802

Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Thread is duly moved to the Feedback section.

Seeing as 1000 and 2000 posts is becoming ridiculously easy to achieve if one puts an effort into spamming, these threads should be limited to every 5000 posts per milestone. Or f*ck that, just put them in one bloody THE ROUND NUMBER MILESTONE THREAD and discuss everything there.

And to discourage people from spamming hundreds of posts per day just to get to those targets, I suggest a cap of 50-100 posts per 24 hour period (subject to discussion). Surely that is not too unreasonable? Or does posting numerous one line posts per day really mean that much to you?

For goodness sake, if you wanna spam, at least spam with a brain. Like I said, this is Baka-Tsuki, not /b/ of 4chan.

QUALITY, not QUANTITY, folks. :mrgreen:
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I don't see 50-100 as too much...How about, maybe, 40 max. per forum?
Kira0802

Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I would think there should be a way to just unmark threads from being tracked. But then again that would require a bit of server processing.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Poke2201 wrote:I would think there should be a way to just unmark threads from being tracked. But then again that would require a bit of server processing.
That's what would be the best. Though I think we need to run more ads to finance this.
Kira0802

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”