Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Post by Teh_ping »

Alright, Sumeragi, it's good that you have the enthusiasm to promote Baka-Tsuki. It's good, but you're going a little overboard here (I feel). We don't need 10,000 followers to keep up with our site because our followers will check out for updates of their favorite series every single day. (looking at you, High Scholl DxD). Personally, I don't believe in having number of followers because there's no point competing for that. What we are doing here is also technically illegal so it'll be like shouting to the cops 'hey I'm here!' and getting caught in the process (with ACTA and stuff going on and so on...). Of course, you can promote if you want to, but even if you ask CarJ, he can't give you the Baka-Tsuki twitter account because he doesn't have the account and password and so on. If we can somehow have a program that can automatically deliver Baka-Tsuki updates to twitter directly without the need of a human (like the Baka-Reader), it'll be great. As for promotion, I don't think a lot of people are into light novels as compared to the crazy number of manga fans. (Just look at the irc here compared to like, RedHawkScans? Lol...), so you might be having difficulty there.

P.S. If possible, even though there's no rules on the size of sigs here, can you please make it smaller so that it doesn't get distracting?

P.S.2. Pardon me for sounding like a madman going about yelling at everyone in public, but you're a human, not a cat. Please stop purring whenever you like it because I'm kinda getting sick about it. (and honestly, I don't feel very good at the moment so I can explode any second now).
Ways
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Ways »

damn~i am being bullied here >.< nyaa~ oh well.whatever.it doesnt matter much anyways being illigal(?) and all but its literally impossible for me not to purr.its become a part of my keystrocks so yea...posimpible.and yes..u really are about to explode.ur scaring me now :shock:
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Just feel like if I'm going to continue talking down to a few contractors, I'm going to actually do something I will be in trouble for. (And you guys know that my tolerance level is rather high here).

Anyway, you can promote, but even I don't have any idea of who has the B-T twitter account here...
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Teh_ping wrote: Anyway, you can promote, but even I don't have any idea of who has the B-T twitter account here...
Carj or Poke, I guess.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
carj
Yuki-Nagator

Post by carj »

yea i have the account info tho is it necessary to promote it? i cant easily give it =/

n yes i do not have an idea how to promote and im not interested how its done, not my field

as for an automated system ive thought about it and might do one....probably.....xD tho it'll be a side personal project
Ways
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Ways »

-nods-nods- yup,acc info is necessary to promote.But if u think that it will cause harm by promoting,then i will not push anymore.(being illigal and all...is it really illigal?)and if u think it wont da any harm than i will take that info carj.if u will give that is nyaa~ (sorry ping,i just cant stop the purring.tsuchimicado factor) 8)
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: To be merged to Public Outreach thread. Someone help.

Post by Darklor »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:We don't have jurisdiction here, i.e. I can't merge this.
I think the subforum with the most options for normal moderators is the Aux Brigades section - at least I can also do merges there.
Spoiler! :
So a option were to move the threads therin merge them there and move the back where they belong...
Re: To be merged to Public Outreach thread. Someone help.
*done*
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

How to reach more potential readers?
Kira0802

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

- Finding more staff to help in the projets with a high potential (the HSDxD effect).
- Developping the Alternative Languages.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
ben1234
Lord Temporal Duke

Post by ben1234 »

Hope the SAO anime doesn't suck to pull people in?
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

ben1234 wrote:Hope the SAO anime doesn't suck to pull people in?
I hope it won't be a disaster.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Though even with DxD, seems that it doesn't appeal to many readers.

Reason why 2011 first part was a good time was mainly due to the Index + Aria that were attracting quite a lot of people. Since then, it seemed to die off...DxD, Fate/Zero and IS gave a boost in summer/fall, but not enough.

The HnA+TAMnI seem to have created a "bubble", just like in economy. And when there was nothing left to translate or when translators were gone...the bubble exploded.

If you see BT's situation as Lord Keynes, the solution would be probably to stimulate BT once more.

Though I wonder what would make people come here more...
Kira0802

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

I don't know. If I were just a manga fan who's used to seeing actions on pictures and stuff, it'll be very boring and tiring for me to continue looking at a screen full of text. Some complain about bad translations and grammar behind our backs (they could have done something about it if they wanted, but well...), some just download .pdfs and Epubs, but actually, viewcounts now are a lot higher than pre-2009 periods even with Haruhi around, since more of the audience are aware of the medium called light novels. The record view count back than was only like 4,200 a month for ZnT or something, if I remember correctly, so I feel it's more of the anime effect. Of course, after those two, we have Haganai, IS, Baka Test, Fate/Zero (more like anticipation for the anime) and SAO being updated more often (I remember back when I was probably giving 90% of the updates on B-T here in 2010 or something, not that I'm boasting though, and it's really heartening to see others pick up the slack, even if they're series I don't like) before a certain High School got involved in November.
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

Kira0802 wrote:Though even with DxD, seems that it doesn't appeal to many readers.

Reason why 2011 first part was a good time was mainly due to the Index + Aria that were attracting quite a lot of people. Since then, it seemed to die off...DxD, Fate/Zero and IS gave a boost in summer/fall, but not enough.

The HnA+TAMnI seem to have created a "bubble", just like in economy. And when there was nothing left to translate or when translators were gone...the bubble exploded.

If you see BT's situation as Lord Keynes, the solution would be probably to stimulate BT once more.

Though I wonder what would make people come here more...
economically speaking, BT is an anomaly. We're the solution to the free rider problem. :wink: I suppose the most obvious solution would be to hop onto the anime bandwagon. Considering SAO is debuting in summer, campione will also start in july and horizon s2 is continuing, maybe if someone picked up H ga dekinai and that imouto one, we'd get more hits?

Teh_ping wrote:I don't know. If I were just a manga fan who's used to seeing actions on pictures and stuff, it'll be very boring and tiring for me to continue looking at a screen full of text. Some complain about bad translations and grammar behind our backs (they could have done something about it if they wanted, but well...), some just download .pdfs and Epubs, but actually, viewcounts now are a lot higher than pre-2009 periods even with Haruhi around, since more of the audience are aware of the medium called light novels. The record view count back than was only like 4,200 a month for ZnT or something, if I remember correctly, so I feel it's more of the anime effect. Of course, after those two, we have Haganai, IS, Baka Test, Fate/Zero (more like anticipation for the anime) and SAO being updated more often (I remember back when I was probably giving 90% of the updates on B-T here in 2010 or something, not that I'm boasting though, and it's really heartening to see others pick up the slack, even if they're series I don't like) before a certain High School got involved in November.
I agree. I think LNs appeal more to people who actually like plot over pretty pictures. And that's the problem because LNs aren't as well known as manga and anime overseas, so people might not even know about their existence. As for people who complain about bad translations, well... I suppose we could give them some cheese (with their whine). 8) But seriously people who complain about bad translation and grammar probably don't know what they're talking about. As far as I can see we have a pretty solid roster of editors and native speakers, baring the odd typo.

unfortunately I think LNs are pretty niche for the moment. I suppose the best hope would be anime adapations that don't finish the story. Then people would probably come here to just to see how the story plays out. (HsDxD being the best example, although, I'm not sure if anyone actually watched that for the plot :lol: )
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
nastarHitam
Project Translator

Post by nastarHitam »

Teh_ping wrote:I don't know. If I were just a manga fan who's used to seeing actions on pictures and stuff, it'll be very boring and tiring for me to continue looking at a screen full of text. Some complain about bad translations and grammar behind our backs (they could have done something about it if they wanted, but well...), some just download .pdfs and Epubs, but actually, viewcounts now are a lot higher than pre-2009 periods even with Haruhi around, since more of the audience are aware of the medium called light novels. The record view count back than was only like 4,200 a month for ZnT or something, if I remember correctly, so I feel it's more of the anime effect. Of course, after those two, we have Haganai, IS, Baka Test, Fate/Zero (more like anticipation for the anime) and SAO being updated more often (I remember back when I was probably giving 90% of the updates on B-T here in 2010 or something, not that I'm boasting though, and it's really heartening to see others pick up the slack, even if they're series I don't like) before a certain High School got involved in November.
Speaking of which, will we get to see the viewcounts on wiki site again?
is it turned off due to performance issue?

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”