Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Post by hobogunner »

Nah, I don't want any interruptions during the reading of the book. That's our main problem now.....how to introduce the fact it is done by us without restraining anyone from fully enjoying it.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Though Zephyrus' point isn't bad. Normally, when you switch chapter, there'd be a small/large space left, where we could...
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

If all we need is to make sure readers know where to find updates on the translation of the LN they're reading, I think single baka-tsuki link in the credits page should be suffice.

But if we also want to make sure no one can make profit off those PDFs, it's probably impossible. As we can see from software and movie industries, it's not possible to prevent it. All they did to prevent illegal distribution of their goods resulted in legit buyers being hurt, pirates just cracked the software, removed the DRM, etc.

Imagine if I made a PDF with extreme security settings, it is not possible to edit/print or even selecting text inside. But every single page has either 'baka-tsuki' or 'free distribute' or 'not for sale'. This certainly stops person who is trying to sell that particular PDF, but will it stop that person? 
No, he can just go directly to wiki, copy-paste chapters into Word, might spend extra minutes formatting text, then he gets a similiar PDF but without 'not for sale' text.
While real baka-tsuki fan who prefers not to read off the wiki directly and chose to download available PDFs has to endure all the difficulties introduced by trying to avoid it being sold.

And that was my 2 cent.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Then we could add a credit page, and put on the main page something like : "We only support the PDFs which have the TLG copyright and translators mentioned" or something like that.
Kira0802

BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

I already did included credits page to the PDF I was making.

I must confess I didn't think about this at first until I PMed Teh_Ping asking if he could translating heroine memo of The World God Only Knows vol.1 (he just finished translating epilogue of the volume and I thought he was working on new project)
He was very kind with his promptly reply and later that day, he finished both memo & author notes.
While I was editing image for heroine memo, I felt guilty making all PDFs without giving proper credits to the translators who spent weeks/months doing the hardest work and not asking anything in return.

So I started thinking about how to make a proper credits page while it must not look ugly compared to the rest of the volume and came up with the page I post earlier in this thread. My only purpose is to pay respect to translators (thank you so much, Teh_Ping) and baka-tsuki for hosting such a wonderful project. I personally hate people who sells the works of others without permission, but there's not much I can do about it, especially in internet era like this.

On the side note, I already updated all my PDFs with credits page, except Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Redoing all 33 volumes of TMnI with proper credits page will need some mental prepare.
carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by carj »

this is what im thinking on doing with the PDFs
Spoiler! :
its not so bad and really....ppl will not even notice it, i still havent made my credit page since that would take a bit more time

also BeginnerXP its not like the changes have to be made right away, do them when you can or when you're remaking a PDF, else it would be a great load of work, the old versions are already circulating so we cant do much about that

and well yea i do feel guilty about not putting a credit page since the beginning but had no idea the PDFs would come to be this popular xD!
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

It's also possible to add the credits here...
Spoiler! :
1,550/3,400
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Rajikai wrote:It's also possible to add the credits here...
Spoiler! :
As if you would check it...
Kira0802

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Yes no one would check that, Thus giving it the ultimate place to hide it ;)
1,550/3,400
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

And thus, it disappears when you print&sell it. :roll: :lol:
Kira0802

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

You got me... Think that of that :P I'll brb with a solution... lol
1,550/3,400
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Got it... Here it is...
http://indesignsecrets.com/add-a-print- ... o-pdfs.php

Basically it sets up the watermark when it prints. It is invisible the entire time if viewing it on a device, but once you print it, the watermark tags along
1,550/3,400
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Rajikai wrote:Got it... Here it is...
http://indesignsecrets.com/add-a-print- ... o-pdfs.php

Basically it sets up the watermark when it prints. It is invisible the entire time if viewing it on a device, but once you print it, the watermark tags along
I love this. Ask to not print then, at the same time you post the PDFs.
Kira0802

Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

I've never actually seen it in effect, so I am unsure if it would be easy to remove or if it's even doable, but at least it could counts for a solution...
1,550/3,400
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelastguardian »

PDF watermark is not hard to remove. Heck, you can print out each page and programatically remove the mark, especially with text only marking.

It's always been a policy of B-T that, every copy of the translated text (chapter or bigger, I don't care about people copying a few paragraphs) should contain a reference to Baka-Tsuki, the text's translators' names, and a notice that basically amount to 'Do not sell or claim as your own'.
You don't have to include the agreement, but the names of Baka-Tsuki and the translator(s) must be present regardless if it is a pdf, html, chm, or whatever file.

Obviously we have no way to enforce this, but I think this is fair enough. Thoughts?
唯「もし・・・今後他の女の子に一切ハレンチな事しないって約束するなら・・・わ・・・私・・・私なら・・・」

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”