View Counts

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

RikiNutcase
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

View Counts

Post by RikiNutcase »

Did something happen to the server or did the view counts just disappeared all of a sudden? :shock:
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: View Counts

Post by Misogi »

It seems that they disappeared, after HSDxD. I don't think it's a coincidence, though, it must be a bug.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Misogi wrote:It seems that they disappeared, after HSDxD. I don't think it's a coincidence, though, it must be a bug.
The Big Boss (thelastguardian) did an overhaul on the back end of the web server last weekend, and the counts disappeared after that. Several of us have PM'd him on the matter, but we (or at least I) have not heard anything back yet.
RikiNutcase
Project Translator

Post by RikiNutcase »

I see....oh well as long it isn't gone for good im ok LOL... :mrgreen: can't seem to find motivation when not seeing the counts if ya know what i mean hahaha
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I like getting a general idea of how many people are following the story I'm working on too...
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

I got a reply back...

He said he turned it off because it interferes with page caching.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

stellarroze wrote:I got a reply back...

To a point, I can believe that, since the changing number makes the page different each time you pull it up, which defeats caching. There are probably ways to avoid that, though.

I am not a web programmer, rather a native C/C++ developer, so I am not an expert on this particular topic.
RikiNutcase
Project Translator

Post by RikiNutcase »

awww...thats depressing Lol
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

So is this change temporary or permanent?

I hope it's just temporary, the view counts useful for many things after all.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

rpapo wrote:
stellarroze wrote:I got a reply back...

To a point, I can believe that, since the changing number makes the page different each time you pull it up, which defeats caching. There are probably ways to avoid that, though.

I am not a web programmer, rather a native C/C++ developer, so I am not an expert on this particular topic.
Unless there are changes to the mediawiki SW in the new version, the pages served to anons were cached versions so the page view will not change for them, so I'm not sure how it interferes. I can't remember whether the previous count was still stored in the DB, but iirc, once disabled, the new views since then will not tracked.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

larethian wrote:Unless there are changes to the mediawiki SW in the new version, the pages served to anons were cached versions so the page view will not change for them, so I'm not sure how it interferes. I can't remember whether the previous count was still stored in the DB, but iirc, once disabled, the new views since then will not tracked.
That's a shame. Notice, though, that The Other Wiki (to borrow the term they use at tvtropes) does not provide hit counts either.

Nonetheless, there are three useful stats from where I sit: (1) Total hits, (2) Hits since the last update to the page, and (3) the number of unique clients that have accessed the page (apart from bots, if they are allowed into the wiki at all). Of course, everything has a cost in performance. :(
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

The view count is up again. Thank goodness :D
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

from TLG:
View count places a heavy strain on the database. Most mediawiki sites, after they reach a certain size, find the counter detrimental to the performance. Also, if Baka-Tsuki move onto more advance implementation of caching (such as Squid used by wikipedia), the view counter must be disabled.

In any case, I've changed the view counter to only approximate the correct page view. As it is an approximation, it is not entirely accurate.

Finally, if anyone feels that their page needs a view counter, he or she is welcome to add a third party view counter (such as Google Analysis) to their respective page.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I think it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the information.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

Well, if that's the case we just have to agree whatever the big boss decided

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”