In light of the recent spam

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: In light of the recent spam

Post by Lery »

Spam are messages likes "Enlarge your xxx go to the xyz website".
And it's not really an issue on the forum, now, with our super CAPTCHA ^^

The most annoying things we see here are people registering just to complain about the speed of some translation. Those are to be considered as spam mostly.
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
bestnumber?8721
Taiga's Sword

Post by bestnumber?8721 »

Ok, thanks for tat... So I guess I just escaped a nightmare situation huh? :D
Technically I'm an evil spirit.

Can edit stuff if need be, I've just been bored and busy... for the past 2 years
braiam
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by braiam »

Umm... in the forums of All Mangas Reader we got a MOD called Advanced Block Mod that blocked almost 300-400 attempt to register spam and his brother Advanced Double Activation Pack MOD, to prevent humans from creating multiple accounts and leave it like that for days, that only leaves about 10 spam post/month and it's because server is darn slow to update block lists. That way you can stop using CAPTCHA and ranks with just some slight moderation for things that just "can't be helped" without annoying the runoff the mill user (like myself). Just my two cents.
I'm just a lurker... and AllMangaReader developer.
You can find about me here.
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

that's nice and all, but the only one able to install upgrades on the wiki and forums is TLG. (unless oni has some secret powers he's been hiding from us all this time.)
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
braiam
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by braiam »

If you are talking about onizuka, he has the God-like admin power we are looking for. Although, I don't know why he don't change his/her default group to "Administrator"... one of the seven wonders of the forum?
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by Lery »

Yeah, he has the admin rights, we know that, but is he able to add extensions to the forum? I don't think he has FTP access, so... Not sure. :wink:

PS : no wonder, he has one of the coolest rank of the forum, why change it to a mere admin one? ;)
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Lery wrote:Spam are messages likes "Enlarge your xxx go to the xyz website".
And it's not really an issue on the forum, now, with our super CAPTCHA ^^

The most annoying things we see here are people registering just to complain about the speed of some translation. Those are to be considered as spam mostly.
I agree, those types of posts are becoming more common. Most of the posters do not seem to be aware that B-T is a non-profit organization, as such we do not accept donations of any kind to make the translations come out faster.
braiam
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by braiam »

Hiro Hayase wrote:I agree, those types of posts are becoming more common. Most of the posters do not seem to be aware that B-T is a non-profit organization, as such we do not accept donations of any kind to make the translations come out faster.
Whoa, hold your horses, non-profit organizations (NPO) are organizations that uses surplus revenues to achieve its goals rather than distributing them as profit or dividends. Therefore they can accept any type of fundraising (ex. donations), although is B-T decision to don't do that.

Now returning to the spammers, they simply don't care. They would just crawl the web looking for forums to spam and once a forum fall in the list of one of them everything gets lost.

My best recommendation is that some admin (that has FTP access) do a complete backup, take out the forum for 2-3 hours, update phpBB (latest version 3.0.11 from oct 2012 and we are running over 3.0.10 released in jan 2012), install AutoMOD and after that the two MOD's that I said before.

If anyone needs the exacts steps I could provide the official links with the steps. IMO this will make wonders to GM's and Mod's. Here a very useful FAQ that everyone interested should read.

Just a disclaimer, I don't have relationships with any of the developers of the MOD's I suggested, I only do this because: it annoys me that I can't send PM's or post without moderation, I absolutely hate SPAM and spammers and I know what you all are suffering with spam as fellow forum moderator.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”