In light of the recent spam

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

draringi
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: In light of the recent spam

Post by draringi »

Would like to be able to edit a post without it disappearing while it awaits confirmation...
and yeah, I've got the required number of posts...
I thought phpbb was able to do this automatically?

EDIT: Thanks :)
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

draringi wrote:Would like to be able to edit a post without it disappearing while it awaits confirmation...
and yeah, I've got the required number of posts...
I thought phpbb was able to do this automatically?
It's not automatic. One of the managers for the Newly Registered Users group (me and Larethian, I believe) have to notice that your count has exceeded the minimum, and then remove you from that group. It is a manual process, entirely dependent on when we happen to notice. I check a couple of times a day.
Lery

Post by Lery »

It's strange, I would swear phpBB has an automatic ranking system... :?
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Lery wrote:It's strange, I would swear phpBB has an automatic ranking system... :?
Dunno. The proper person to ask about the details is The Big Boss (thelastguardian). In any case, I stumbled upon another forum site with the same problems and described what I knew of the B-T solution to them, and they were able to stop their spam problems dead in their tracks.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Yeah.

I also had problems with spam. But I found a way out which is less a bother for the members, but may delete a few legit users.
(Users who have 0 post 10 days after activation are deleted ; being given that if someone is a bot and post a spam I've got Akismet to delete the post... So spam can't be posted and spam account are deleted. ^^ But I'm not sure if Akismet is fully compatible with phpBB, I know the extension was dropped a few month ago.)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

rpapo wrote: It's not automatic. One of the managers for the Newly Registered Users group (me and Larethian, I believe) have to notice that your count has exceeded the minimum, and then remove you from that group. It is a manual process, entirely dependent on when we happen to notice. I check a couple of times a day.
Are you sure? I thought its now automatic for the new users, and only for old users created before a certain date below 10 post it has to be done manually...
onizuka-gto wrote:Custom captcha question has been created for guests, so all guest are advised to be familiar with general Baka-Tsuki wiki and community.

Newly registered users have a 10 post limit under moderation queue, (10 post must be approved by Baka-Tsuki team) before being transferred with full standard forum access.
onizuka-gto wrote:Fixed.

Only found two user, who refuse to let go of the hot pink and migrate to the regular user group. Not sure why, so the only explanation is that they were the exception. That, or they really really liked it. :roll:

Edit: alright, found another one. guess there are more then two special hot pink users... :roll:
onizuka-gto wrote:aahhh, i know now why some are pink and some are not.

Those who joined before the new registration policy was put into effect but had less then 10 post, were manually put into the newly registration group by me.

However for some reason, these members after exceeding 10 post, still remain in the newly registered hot pink group and do not migrate into the registered group, simply because they were in that group already.

So, the only way i can resolve this, is that all those who have exceed 10 post, please make yourself known here, i will manually move you to your rightful place.

thank you.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Darklor wrote:
rpapo wrote: It's not automatic. One of the managers for the Newly Registered Users group (me and Larethian, I believe) have to notice that your count has exceeded the minimum, and then remove you from that group. It is a manual process, entirely dependent on when we happen to notice. I check a couple of times a day.
Are you sure? I thought its now automatic for the new users, and only for old users created before a certain date below 10 post it has to be done manually...
I check the list a couple of times a day. Most of the time I catch people when they reach 10 posts, though sometimes I catch them later if they made a flurry of posts.
ahmsab
Project Translator

Post by ahmsab »

Hallo guys , I know this is my first post. But I want someone to see if they can do something about me not being able to PM , because I want to start a translation project (and therefore PM an admin) .
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

ahmsab wrote:Hallo guys , I know this is my first post. But I want someone to see if they can do something about me not being able to PM , because I want to start a translation project (and therefore PM an admin) .
As a I recall, you can't pm until you have 5 or 10 posts. I think it's 5 if my memory's correct. Can someone confirm this?

Wasn't it 10? - Misogi. Sorry, I thought that I made a new post.
ahmsab
Project Translator

Post by ahmsab »

aha , I'll keep on posting a bit then :P
Lery

Post by Lery »

To get depinkified, that's 10 posts ... and then a staff member has still to spot you and depinkify you :D
(As Bestnumber knows... cf. his sign)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
bestnumber?8721
Taiga's Sword

Post by bestnumber?8721 »

... Thank u for mentioning my record :D
Technically I'm an evil spirit.

Can edit stuff if need be, I've just been bored and busy... for the past 2 years
Lery

Post by Lery »

If you were to go more often go and great the newcomers, you would have seen that I already did it loads of time :P

Sysadmin, sometimes.
bestnumber?8721
Taiga's Sword

Post by bestnumber?8721 »

Awesome! Plus it still stands!

(haha cicada I still be holding my record)
Technically I'm an evil spirit.

Can edit stuff if need be, I've just been bored and busy... for the past 2 years
Lery

Post by Lery »

Indeed... And you will certainly keep it a long time : the mod' are now more careful from what I saw, or there is some kind of an automated system, but I didn't see anyone with more than 10 posts which was still pink ;)

BTW : aren't you just spamming in an antispam topic?

:mrgreen: Okay, I must confess : I'm doing the same.

Sysadmin, sometimes.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”