Thread Renaming/Reorganization

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Thread Renaming/Reorganization

Post by larethian »

Note that I'll be renaming some threads (especially in Aux Brigade as it's extremely messy) for consistency purpose and to make it easier to search. Obviously, I can't do it in one day. If one of the threads belongs to yours and you have an objection, let me know or post in this thread and it'll be open for discussion. Thanks.

If anyone has good suggestion for better organization, you are welcome to suggest.

Oh yeah, please stop making new threads on PDF/epub/MOBI for different volumes of the same title or when it's made by a different person. In fact, I prefer one post that consolidates everything, but I'll leave the individual posts for now, though I've merged the topics.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Thread Renaming/Reorganization

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Noticed some of your renamed threads, but I was wondering, would it be better to put the category in front of the thread instead? Provided the category names are not too long.

Or you can set just single letters and give them a pinned thread to list down which category the letters imply? such as G: to indicate General etc? I think it might look better that way, and easier to identify?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

My idea for this: for the few LN's that have their own forum, such as Campione!, why do we even keep "Campione!" in the thread name, assuming you clicked into that, you would know that everything in there is on Campione!. (This only applies for a few things, and I know that most threads were moved where they had to be named, but now that they own their own board, it might be easier organization if you cut out the title, or shorten it even.)

That doesn't apply to the Aux Brigade, I just think it might make things "cleaner" in the long run, as it's pretty obvious where you're at.

Also, I do think SZH's idea on shortening "General" and "PDF/epub/mobi" would probably be best. Especially with some series' titles. :lol: (In fact, appending that to the front then having the series might make it easier in the degree of knowing all the "General" discussion threads instantly before the "PDF's"..etc(?).)
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I'd say that we shouldn't add the "general" in the aux brigade because they are pretty much all general discussions. Though I think it'd be great if we merge the PDF threads.

Also, removing the title might not be such a good idea. Like SAO and AW sub-forum, you need to keep the names. If you just change them in few sub-forums, the format wont be uniform.

I would say for the thread names that we only keep the Furigana reading as title and remove the Japanese like in Baka-Test's case. We can also clean up the teasers section and merge some topics. Plus, if there's a name and terminology thread with little content, we could maybe re-merge it together as there's no questions.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Noticed some of your renamed threads, but I was wondering, would it be better to put the category in front of the thread instead? Provided the category names are not too long.

Or you can set just single letters and give them a pinned thread to list down which category the letters imply? such as G: to indicate General etc? I think it might look better that way, and easier to identify?
I think it may be better to have the title preceding because some projects just have one thread. In fact, I'm thinking of having square braces [] for project threads for easy differentiation when one is viewing the thread titles from 'search results' page. Still open for discussion.
hobogunner wrote:My idea for this: for the few LN's that have their own forum, such as Campione!, why do we even keep "Campione!" in the thread name, assuming you clicked into that, you would know that everything in there is on Campione!. (This only applies for a few things, and I know that most threads were moved where they had to be named, but now that they own their own board, it might be easier organization if you cut out the title, or shorten it even.)

That doesn't apply to the Aux Brigade, I just think it might make things "cleaner" in the long run, as it's pretty obvious where you're at.

Also, I do think SZH's idea on shortening "General" and "PDF/epub/mobi" would probably be best. Especially with some series' titles. :lol: (In fact, appending that to the front then having the series might make it easier in the degree of knowing all the "General" discussion threads instantly before the "PDF's"..etc(?).)
For now, I'm not going to disturb the threads in the sub-forums until I'm more free and all stakeholders are agreeable to changes.
But just to reply, it's not necessary obvious when you are viewing from 'new posts' hotlink or when you are doing a search and the threads are returned as search results. Most of the time, people don't read the small font to see which forum it is in. Especially when you are searching and getting hundreds of results, you want to find it at a glance.
Kira0802 wrote:I'd say that we shouldn't add the "general" in the aux brigade because they are pretty much all general discussions. Though I think it'd be great if we merge the PDF threads.

Also, removing the title might not be such a good idea. Like SAO and AW sub-forum, you need to keep the names. If you just change them in few sub-forums, the format wont be uniform.

I would say for the thread names that we only keep the Furigana reading as title and remove the Japanese like in Baka-Test's case. We can also clean up the teasers section and merge some topics. Plus, if there's a name and terminology thread with little content, we could maybe re-merge it together as there's no questions.
Agreed. Initially, I thought someone start discussing terms in the main thread, but I realized people may still do that even with the 'general' tag, so yes, the 'general' tag is pretty much redundant. For Japanese titles, yes, I plan to remove them, though I want to wait for more input. With regards to merging terminology thread with the main thread, I don't think so, because it makes it hard to find and refer to. But if you are talking about series that only character names to talk about, then yes, it doesn't need a terminology thread. People can just update the wiki page and there's really not much to agree and disagree about.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

larethian wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Noticed some of your renamed threads, but I was wondering, would it be better to put the category in front of the thread instead? Provided the category names are not too long.

I think it may be better to have the title preceding because some projects just have one thread. In fact, I'm thinking of having square braces [] for project threads for easy differentiation when one is viewing the thread titles from 'search results' page. Still open for discussion.
That is what I meant by using short forms? like for all projects, maybe they start with "P:" and for general discussions "G:", and for PDF etc File related, use "F:"? Teaser with "T:", Appreciation with "A:" and stuff like that? This way, you can easily tell what the thread is about, rather than having to find where the thread title ends(some titles are very long, others too short) before you can tell which category they are in? You probably need to have a thread to tell others what each symbol mean then.

P.S. I noticed your post on the rules before posting haha. Seems some of the rules were broken, especially the ones that says "the one above..." "if..." etc etc haha. Wonder how big boss will modify the rules, if he does so at all?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:That is what I meant by using short forms? like for all projects, maybe they start with "P:" and for general discussions "G:", and for PDF etc File related, use "F:"? Teaser with "T:", Appreciation with "A:" and stuff like that? This way, you can easily tell what the thread is about, rather than having to find where the thread title ends(some titles are very long, others too short) before you can tell which category they are in? You probably need to have a thread to tell others what each symbol mean then.

P.S. I noticed your post on the rules before posting haha. Seems some of the rules were broken, especially the ones that says "the one above..." "if..." etc etc haha. Wonder how big boss will modify the rules, if he does so at all?
Ok, I have a different view, since I prefer seeing project titles first. You may have a point however. Anyway, whichever is chosen, we can always swop it around later if it proves to be a bad choice. For now, I'll leave the discussion open and wait for more input to see whether anyone has more views.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

larethian wrote:Note that I'll be renaming some threads (especially in Aux Brigade as it's extremely messy) for consistency purpose and to make it easier to search. Obviously, I can't do it in one day. If one of the threads belongs to yours and you have an objection, let me know or post in this thread and it'll be open for discussion. Thanks.

If anyone has good suggestion for better organization, you are welcome to suggest.

Oh yeah, please stop making new threads on PDF/epub/MOBI for different volumes of the same title or when it's made by a different person. In fact, I prefer one post that consolidates everything, but I'll leave the individual posts for now, though I've merged the topics.
Uhm, what do you want to do?

And what is the problem in the first place?

Btw. adding General in the Aux or in general is very useless - since usually the projects have only one general thread...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Kira0802 wrote: We can also clean up the teasers section and merge some topics. Plus, if there's a name and terminology thread with little content, we could maybe re-merge it together as there's no questions.
Huh? What do you want to merge in the teaser section?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”