Should this Forum allow anonymous posters?

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Should this Forum follow the spirit of the Wiki?

YES! Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinions!
25%
No, this is slightly different.
42%
No. Just no.
33%

Total votes: 12

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Should this Forum allow anonymous posters?

Post by onizuka-gto »

I wonder if registering in order to post in here, somehow contridictive to the open-ness of the Baka-Tsuki translation project, who do you think? should we allow Aonymous posters?

If so, Why?

If not, Why?

Note: Anonymous posting is enabled on this forum.

tel us your views.

:D

edit: spelling corrected, you dammn grammar demons. :roll:
Last edited by onizuka-gto on Sun May 14, 2006 7:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
darkfire
Astral Realm

Post by darkfire »

plain an simple. Spam. Forums are a easy target for spam bots. Now forums are edited by 3-4 people. Wikis by countless numbers. So as there are more people here the more spam you will get. Require registration (without authorization at least) would be the best way. Even though spam will come in still just not as often.
psieye
Astral Realm

Post by psieye »

Hmm... while on this forum we have 10+ people (all regular Editors and all Translators) moderating the boards, I can see darkfire's point. I can't decide right now - perhaps a "trial period" where guest comments are allowed for the time being is in order? As in, as soon as we get overloaded with spam that the 10+ Mods can't handle fast enough, we switch off guest comments with no hesitation? There should probably be a disclaimer about "guest comments may be switched off at any time without notice should it cause trouble" in advance if we do go ahead with a 'trial period'.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well, this forum, and the guideline forums allow anonymous posting.

so i'll see how that goes.

on th other hand maybe we should have a guest forum, so that people can leave comments?

It'll be better then using the wiki to be honest...
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

captcha

Post by the_naming_game »

From a quick google:
  • phpbb 2.0.11 (and onwards?) has a built in captcha option. (image based authentication system) In the options, it's the "Enable visual confirmation" option.
  • the phpbb manual doesn't mention an option for an anonymous post captcha. I've seen something like that in some blog comment forms. That would probably be ideal.
Oh, and to answer the question,
  • allow anonymous users = yes.
The vast majority of anonymous contributions on the wiki were positive, so it's worth a try. A captcha to slow down potential spam would be nice. I like to tinker with things, so if someone lets me know which version of phpbb is running, I might try hacking up a patch. That is, if I can't find an existing one, of course.

Whatever you do, please include a translation note!

Oops .. where was I again? Damn, it's almost like Tourette's. I don't know what came over me.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

mmmm...the visual thing sounds like a good idea!

But will that only apply to anonymous contribution, or to all posts?
dogtato
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by dogtato »

it's not hard to register.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I could say the same about the Wiki, but it's evident that the abilitiy to contribute without registering has helped the translation project imensely.

The fact that it is a wiki, reinforce the philosophy of the project, and i think it's safe to assume that readers associate Baka-Tsuki with that.

The forum on the other hand does not.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
dogtato
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by dogtato »

disable email verification and it's even easier
and then say "no email verification!"

people will flock to register because it's fun

edit: aha what the heck is with the filter
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

dogtato wrote: edit: aha what the heck is with the filter
I'm glad you like it. :wink:

@Onizukademongto
dogtato
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by dogtato »

i'm just wondering how you knew anyone would ever say "flock"
Da~Mike
Astral Realm

Post by Da~Mike »

I haven't voted and based on the options available, I guess none of them fit with what I think: forums make editing (and what not) a bit more complicated than it was previously but whatever....

It seems logical enough to prevent "guests" from posting on the forum because the chances are, people would probably want credit for typing something that could be useful and probably wouldn't want to remain anonymous if they did that anyway.

Oh and here's an error I noticed above: YES! Everyone should be allowed to voice there opinions!
(shame it this doesn't work like the wiki :P )

Oh and let's try this filter... poke shit asshole Itsuki Mikuru twat kitty bugger fucker poking shithead arse

Nice. I can even notice the appropriate substitutes for the words I originally typed. Though I must say, a few things weren't filtered out. :wink:
dogtato
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by dogtato »

poke shit Mikuru ass Itsuki

oh, ok, of course people would say "f***". but why is "flock" also in there?

and why hate mikuru like that?
ZeroFate
Astral Realm

Post by ZeroFate »

If you can do a visual check box (like in most registrations) for anonymous posts then I say yes, allow anonymous posts in the forum but if not then it would be better to keep it as user-only posting.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Da~Mike wrote:I haven't voted and based on the options available, I guess none of them fit with what I think: forums make editing (and what not) a bit more complicated than it was previously but whatever....

It seems logical enough to prevent "guests" from posting on the forum because the chances are, people would probably want credit for typing something that could be useful and probably wouldn't want to remain anonymous if they did that anyway.

Oh and here's an error I noticed above: YES! Everyone should be allowed to voice there opinions!
(shame it this doesn't work like the wiki :P )

Oh and let's try this filter... poke poo Itsuki Itsuki Mikuru twat kitty bugger poke poking pooping arse

Nice. I can even notice the appropriate substitutes for the words I originally typed. Though I must say, a few things weren't filtered out. :wink:
im british so the word "twat" is in the same group as "stupid" and "daft"

on the other hand "flock" sounds nasty in a polite way. i personally like it, but the server A.I evidently doesn't, oh well gotta accepted a few innocent words to be caught in the cross fire. :P

oh, and i don't hate Mikuru, let's not beat around bush, you know whats her status in the club. people like that are called Haruhi's b****

:lol:

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”