Proposal: Navbar Update

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: 変態王子と笑わない猫。 (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)

Re: Sidebar Changes/Ideas/Serious Thinking

Post by vallor »

Mm...
Have a direct access is important in my opinion, so I'm not agree.
But I'd like this :
the category "Light-Novels", which contains the sub-categories "(Full) Projects", "Teaser", "Abandoned", "Alternative Languages"
French Editor and Translator

What I'm doing very very slowly
----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by cloudii »

I've just realized the number of sidebar related threads have.... kind of multiplied. T_____T

Can we get this merged into the proposal that's pinned in announcements?
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Got encouraged to start a new thread instead of adding it to an existing one. *shrug*
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Re: Proposal: Navbar Update

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

I'd like to contribute with a little proof of concept for an alphabetical grouping to reduce the size of the sidebar: https://gist.github.com/EusthEnoptEron/8708645
Well, that being said, I'm not convinced of this approach myself, but it's mostly for comparison with other solutions anyway.

To try it out, copy the code, go on the wiki, open a console (CTRL+Shift+J on Chrome, CTRL+Shift+K on FF), paste the code and press enter.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:I'd like to contribute with a little proof of concept for an alphabetical grouping to reduce the size of the sidebar: https://gist.github.com/EusthEnoptEron/8708645
Well, that being said, I'm not convinced of this approach myself, but it's mostly for comparison with other solutions anyway.

To try it out, copy the code, go on the wiki, open a console (CTRL+Shift+J on Chrome, CTRL+Shift+K on FF), paste the code and press enter.
The "T". :o
I think "The Circumstances Leading to Waltraute's Marriage" in the C's made it screw the alphabetical grouping.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Could we set an ultimatum to new proposals, edit a short version of the different proposals into the starting post and at some point do a poll or something like this (with the bonus option to not change it at all) to see, in which direction we should go?

I fear just leaving it at that will lead to glorious nothingness again.

cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

cautr wrote:Could we set an ultimatum to new proposals, edit a short version of the different proposals into the starting post and at some point do a poll or something like this (with the bonus option to not change it at all) to see, in which direction we should go?
I've consolidated the existing suggestions on the first post (sorry Kira... that I hijacked your post @____@). It's on a google doc. If you have a new idea, add it there and bump the thread.

If you're too lazy to go back to the first post, you can find the summary doc here.

Honestly, do we really need a poll? They're such a hassle. T_____T Can Oni just make a decision and decide which one he likes the best?
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Why an external doc and not just a quick summary in the first post? I doubt Kira would mind.

cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

cautr wrote:Why an external doc and not just a quick summary in the first post? I doubt Kira would mind.
Uhh... I just didn't want to step on Kira's toes that much T________T;

We can move it back onto the first post, if you want to do it. Need to go to work now. xD
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Edit: The forum mods split my original post off from it's old thread as a new thread, so I guess that means they want further discussion of this topic to be there. I also keep the numbers/list updated in that post.

I support the proposal to change the full project requirement to one complete volume, and to purge the sidebar of projects that do not currently meet that standard. I list the projects that would currently be removed in the below quote.

Summary:
120 total projects in main sidebar ("light novels")
28 projects that would be removed (minus any 'grandfathered' exemptions you might grant for active projects near 1 volume)

link to original post
Cthaeh wrote:
Spoiler! :
Kadi in Jan 2012 wrote:In my opinion, we have too many "true projects". There are more than 50 of them.
Quoting and necro'ing for the amusement that the same issue was raised two years ago, and now we have more than double the projects (53 then, 120 now).

This topic keeps coming up in recent discussions, but no solution has ever been formally approved. So I want to repeat the proposal to reduce the size of the sidebar by removing projects that have less than 1 complete volume, and make that the new standard for upgrading teaser projects.

This is a list of the 28 projects that would be removed by applying this rule:
7 Nights
Asura Cryin'
Boku to Kanojo no Game Sensou
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Ero_Manga_Sensei
Fate/Apocrypha
Ginban Kaleidoscope
Haken no Kouki Altina
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Kampfer
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Mayo Chiki!
MuvLuv Alternative Schwarzesmarken
My Maid is a Formless Entity
Onii-chan_Dakedo_Ai_Sae_Areba_Kankei_Nai_yo_ne—
Ousama Game
Rain
Read or Die
Rinkan no Madoushi
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
ShinSekai Yori
Shissou Suru Shishunki no Parabellum

I would personally make an exception for the following 3 in a purge, as they are near the 1 volume mark and have an active translator.
Rakuin no Monshou
Shinmai_Maou_no_Keiyakusha
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected
Also see below reply posts for other possible exceptions.

Any opinions, opposition, or support?
Last edited by Cthaeh on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Resolved: Sidebar is going to change to links of categories.
Last edited by cloudii on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made the font big. So it's very clear this discussion is over.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

I understand that the new sidebar is on its way, but in the meantime, I suggest updating the "Teaser Projects" link on the sidebar to the new Category:Teaser_(English). The current link leads to the old category that has been deleted.

Edit: The link has since been updated by Darkneko, ty.
Last edited by Cthaeh on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Soon.™

DarkoNeko is working on it, let's just be patient. Of course this has been noticed.

acolyte
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by acolyte »

The Completed Series on the Navbar has 11 entries, while the Completed Project list has 14. Time to update?
Baka to Test, Ichiban Daimaou, Sugar Dark, Kimi to Boku no Uta World's End (technically the last one is not a serie I guess?)
Tsuki Tsuki shouldn't be on the completed series page as v13 is on hiatus.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

I'll update that next week

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”