Improving BT Quality Discussion

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

chaoticrun
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel: Tsukumodo Antique Shop, OreGairu

Re: Improving BT Quality Discussion

Post by chaoticrun »

I've never seen that rumor, though. Like everybody else, I've read on B-T for god only knows how much LN, and everything seems to be nice.
Yeah, if you are a noob translator, you wouldn't want to be forced at translating. The same goes for editor.
But I agree to what cloud-san said, because this is BT, the only way to make a qualified editor is to encourage them with prizes.
So, is quality better than quantity? Or the opposite? Should we attract more editors or upgrade the existing editors?

And for
Perhaps grading the series out there so nubes don't bite off more than they can chew.
I think most translator translate the series they like, even though it's hard....
Worst trackpad-user FPS player ever.

"That's why, at this very moment, in the interval of a second, I wish to cross the world lines and protect your smile.
Then, once again into a time loop devoid of misery, I will be swallowed as a lonely observer." - Itou Kanako
booyah10
Astral Realm

Post by booyah10 »

chaoticrun wrote: So, is quality better than quantity? Or the opposite? Should we attract more editors or upgrade the existing editors?

I think most translator translate the series they like, even though it's hard....
Quality is way better than quantity because first and foremost, we don't need a lot of translations for the same novel because we will only read the novel once. Why bother reading the same novel with different translations when we could say, focus on 1 novel, 1 translation so the quality improves (hopefully)

Also, how about if we attract as well as upgrade existing editors?? When you say upgrade, I'm taking you mean teach them their language?
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by pudding321 »

booyah10 wrote: Quality is way better than quantity because first and foremost, we don't need a lot of translations for the same novel because we will only read the novel once. Why bother reading the same novel with different translations when we could say, focus on 1 novel, 1 translation so the quality improves (hopefully)

Also, how about if we attract as well as upgrade existing editors?? When you say upgrade, I'm taking you mean teach them their language?
The discussion over quality and quantity remains only as an argument for encouraging more translations. It has never meant that we will do two or more translations for one same volume or chapter (save nanodesu).

There are fansubsgroups who recruit editors with language requirements, but I don't think we ALWAYS need a native to spot a typo.
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

pudding321 wrote:
booyah10 wrote: Quality is way better than quantity because first and foremost, we don't need a lot of translations for the same novel because we will only read the novel once. Why bother reading the same novel with different translations when we could say, focus on 1 novel, 1 translation so the quality improves (hopefully)

The discussion over quality and quantity remains only as an argument for encouraging more translations. It has never meant that we will do two or more translations for one same volume or chapter (save nanodesu).

There are fansubsgroups who recruit editors with language requirements, but I don't think we ALWAYS need a native to spot a typo.
And yet "spot[ting] a typo" is the least of which an editor is responsible for. Particularly when unqualified individuals often mistake correct grammar and vocabulary for incorrect. It is unfortunate but nonetheless reality that dedication and passion are attributes that run orthogonal to skill.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

The idea of supporting the new translators is nice. Not only would it be possible to ensure translations are correct, but it'd be also possible to give them some tricks.

But yeah, lack of manpower is an issue.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Tony Yon
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

Post by Tony Yon »

Hiyono wrote:
Tony Yon wrote:this is just an idea that pop up at my head a few hours ago. how about making a subforum for recruiting editors? the lack of quality sometimes come from lack of dedicated editor/s but sometimes it's hard to get an editor (though most likely those who interested just don't know where to start)
so it's like a sub forum where translators can ask if there's anyone who willing to help them to edit the series they working on. it'll linked with project main pages, and every editor (major one, not for minor edits) can apply as editor and check their compatibility with the translator (skill, style, etc..)
so, anyone free and feel like helping on editing, can enter that sub forum and choose a project that recruiting editors. and vice versa, for translator who need dedicated editor/s can post there and wait for response/s.
for those who have joined as dedicated editor, can discuss with the translator with whatever way they feel the best (google docs, or focus on forum is fine)

um... anyone understand what i'm trying to say..? :lol:
Unfortunately, the problem isn't just finding editors, but finding qualified ones. To be quite frank, even being a native English speaker is not a sufficient condition.
we all are learning right? shouldn't we try encourage more dedicated editors so they will someday become qualified? :)
Basically KIA
krytyk
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by krytyk »

Kira0802 wrote:The idea of supporting the new translators is nice. Not only would it be possible to ensure translations are correct, but it'd be also possible to give them some tricks.

But yeah, lack of manpower is an issue.
What I thought about before, is the same type of support that irc.irchighway.net's translator community had long time ago. There was an irc chatroom that was densely populated by manga translators from many manga editing groups, and they were supporting and helping each other in real-time. It worked because there were always at least 10 translators online, in which there was at least 3 of them active at all times. So no matter when you inquired about something you always found someone to answer you. That's what I meant before by proposing a platform to help the rookie translators. With the amount of translators baka-tsuki has, if everyone was hanging around in there, we could probably replicate that. Moreover, that could be also applied to editing, questionable sentences could be shared, and edited in real time by people who are hanging out there.

The only issue is to encourage people to use IRC, and rely/seek help from fellow translators, and editors.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
dand963
Astral Realm

Post by dand963 »

Well, why not? I don't mind the stricter rules if it means better quality translations.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

dand963 wrote:Well, why not? I don't mind the stricter rules if it means better quality translations.
And this is where everything will go wrong.

Stricter rules will only repel the people that translate or edit.
Better quality through stricter rules ? Say goodbye to some translators or potential translators.
An individual can't go and change everything at his wish.

Either way, going with "qualified editor/TLC" is a better idea than going for translators. As it might not go as planned and have negative effects.

But the other way around, it should help and motivate some people by having a "competent" human being at their side that is willing to help them when other are only watching and judging.
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

krytyk wrote: What I thought about before, is the same type of support that irc.irchighway.net's translator community had long time ago. There was an irc chatroom that was densely populated by manga translators from many manga editing groups, and they were supporting and helping each other in real-time. It worked because there were always at least 10 translators online, in which there was at least 3 of them active at all times. So no matter when you inquired about something you always found someone to answer you. That's what I meant before by proposing a platform to help the rookie translators. With the amount of translators baka-tsuki has, if everyone was hanging around in there, we could probably replicate that. Moreover, that could be also applied to editing, questionable sentences could be shared, and edited in real time by people who are hanging out there.

The only issue is to encourage people to use IRC, and rely/seek help from fellow translators, and editors.
BT's IRC is unfortunately 99% dead lol.

BTW, which channel is this?
Kira0802

decemdies
Project Translator

Post by decemdies »

I didn't even know we had an IRC. I support reviving the IRC if everybody will be there at some point of time. Whatever the method(as long as it's not illegal :wink: ), we should encourage more communication between translators and editors.
"Sabin, you're alive!"
"[laughs merrily] But of course! You think a minor thing like the end of the world was gonna do me in?
krytyk
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by krytyk »

Kira0802 wrote:BT's IRC is unfortunately 99% dead lol.

BTW, which channel is this?
I'm not exactly sure, I havn't been scanlating manga for like 3 years now, and the channel stopped being seriously active even before that, however it was irc.irchighway.net and probably #translators, might be wrong, there were two or three similar channels around at that time, that community went dead together with the old-school manga scanlating groups.

And yeah, IK that BT IRC is dead, however, there's a merit in trying to replicate it, because that's is a good way of supporting rookie translators.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
obsidian pegasus
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by obsidian pegasus »

We already have a "help me" translation topic on the wiki that people post on when they get stuck, answers happen within a day.
If something like this is started though, count me in.
黒曜石ペガサス
私の悪い文法のため申し訳ありません
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

All this talk of helping translators is nice but the issue of staffing still remains. More specifically, can you guarantee the 3/10 ratio of translators always online. Also, a new IRC chan will have to be setup, current BT channel is... Not suitable.

I would rather see more focus on editors, not gonna say rank them or anything, but it would be nice to see some form of stamp (seal?) of quality based off useful edits and supervisor recommendation.
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

hayashi_s wrote: I would rather see more focus on editors, not gonna say rank them or anything, but it would be nice to see some form of stamp (seal?) of quality based off useful edits and supervisor recommendation.
While it is doable, I don't know how exactly would that ranking be put to use though.
Kira0802

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”