Category Tags

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Category Tags

Post by cloudii »

EDIT:

Darkoneko has officially begun to process of restructuring categories.

The structure he has decided to use is something like:
  • Root
    • Light Novels
      • Light Novels (English)
      • Light Novels (Francis)
      • Light Novels (etc)
    • Visual Novels
    • Original Light Novels
    • Authors
    • Etc.
You can get the idea. xD Feedback should be directed to Darkoneko's Wiki Talk page, because he doesn't check forums.

Original Post below:
----------------------
This seems unrelated, but I wanted to get permission to make a generic Japanese Light Novel Category, that will contain the English Main Project Pages for practically all projects. I'd also like to organize the subcategories (hosted/stalled/complete/full projects) under these.

This may sound dumb/redundant, but there's actually a lot of power than can be gained from this:
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but it could make the lives of programmers using API who need to get a full project list much easier(?)
  • The category page can be doubled as the Full Project Listing Page, since text can be entered above all the category lists (which will be sorted and categorized automatically anyways)
  • Cloud's Motive:
There's a MediaWiki Magic Word that allows you to count the number of pages in a category:

Code: Select all

{{PAGESINCATEGORY:categoryname|all}}
I was beautifying the Baka-Tsuki About Us page in my effort to create/update more HELP pages on the Wiki (see my other forum post), and it occurred to me that rather than estimating "over 100+ projects" or something silly like that, MediaWiki can actually get the exact number.

However, in order for this to work, all of Main Project Pages need to be in a single category. IDK why we haven't done this before. Maybe people thought it was redundant? The stalled projects category could easily be classified as a subcategory, and the Magic Word code would still work. I'd also be able to pretty pretty statistics that are all built into Baka-Tsuki. <3

On a second note, cautr suggested a while ago that the Categories somehow be split into languages. It's a hassle to go to the Teasers Category, but also need to sift through the languages you don't read. Is this anyway possible? I was thinking something like:
  • English
    • Japanese Light Novels (English) --> subcategory
      • Full LN Projects (English) --> subcategory
        • Complete LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
        • Active LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
        • Stalled LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
      • Teaser LN Projects (English) --> subcategory
      • Abandoned LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
    • Japanese Visual Novels (English) --> subcategory
  • Francais
    • Light Novels Japonais (Francais) --> subcategory
  • Espanol
  • etc...
You get the pattern.

Also, I was curious. Does Baka-Tsuki allow non-Japanese light novels? I remember seeing a message Junny posted on TLG's User Page a while ago about hosting the Korean light novels he does. Is there anything against... Korean or Chinese light novels?
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Category Tags

Post by zzhk »

cloud wrote:Also, I was curious. Does Baka-Tsuki allow non-Japanese light novels? I remember seeing a message Junny posted on TLG's User Page a while ago about hosting the Korean light novels he does. Is there anything against... Korean or Chinese light novels?
There's definitely nothing against non-Japanese light novels. Moonlight Sculptor is Korean, for example.

If you think about it, since original unpublished novels are accepted as well, there's no reason to exclude published novels that originated from any language.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Scratch the language meta-categories.

Just name it "Light-Novels", with the sub cats "Completed", "Active", "Inactive", "Teasers".

On the same meta level as Light-Novels put "Alternative Languages", have the projects take their language in the title (LN Title (Language)) and have the subcategories "Alternative Languages - Completed", "Alternative Languages - Active", "Alternative Languages - Inactive, "Alternative Languages - Teasers". Or scratch the "Alternative Languages - [...]" in the sub cats, but I guess this would lead to doubled categories, don't know.

The less categories, the better.

There's no need to flag them as "English". English should be considered our official language, there's no need to flag things with our official language.

There should also be a list of genres to pick from for light-novels. "Genre - Harem", "Genre - Action", "Genre - Sci-Fi", ...; or the meta category "Genre" and the sub cats "[...]". Picking the respective categories for a project should be mandatory for it to become a full project, so that they can serve a purpose. I don't see any particular use in having the publisher as a category, but if it does help, do that too.

Also all categories should be put into a list, so that people can pick the respective ones when they start new projects. However, this list should be concluding, no new categories shall be allowed unless approved by whoever. Because: The less categories, the better.

There should be more categories which are used (Visual Novels?, Original Light-Novels?), just apply the above mentioned pattern. The less, the better.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Alright, can I get some more opinions? Or permission to go ahead?

I should mention that pages shouldn't actually be categorized into their meta categories, unless they fall directly under that categories. The meta categories are meant specifically for subcategories.

Hence, every page should be categorized under its most specific subcategory with the fewest number of descriptive features.

Technically, it's redundant to categorize an Alt Language project twice as "French" and then "Alternative Language", because "French" is a subcategory of Alternative Languages.

I also wanted to check up the existence of User Page Categories? Is it redundant to keep categories of Translator/Editor/Supervisor when this can already be found at the user lists? (parent page)

I don't mind them, but they're kind of silly categories if only 5-6 people use them. If we're going to keep them, one day, I think I'd just go through people's user pages one day when I'm really bored and categorize people.... @_______@ It bothers me that there are silly unpopulated categories like those.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Uhhh... it looks like Darkoneko implicitly approved this?

I come back to the Wiki and I see all these tags popping up everywhere. @_____@;
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Quick question:

How do you guys want your author tags be like? LastName, FirstName/LastName FirstName/FirstName LastName?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Last First.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

I also wanted to mention that I highly recommend using the Category:Root as the landing page for categories on the Wiki.

You know how there's a "Categories" link on the sidebar?

If we're making this many categories, for organization's sake, that sidebar link should go to root.

I'll leave it to you guys to figure out how to nest the structure so that every existing category can be reached from root.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

cloud wrote:I also wanted to mention that I highly recommend using the Category:Root as the landing page for categories on the Wiki.

If we're making this many categories, for organization's sake, that sidebar link should go to root.

I'll leave it to you guys to figure out how to nest the structure so that every existing category can be reached from root.
Programmers and their trees :roll:
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

cloud wrote:I also wanted to mention that I highly recommend using the Category:Root as the landing page for categories on the Wiki.

Actually, the sidebar is going to have "Author" "Light novel" & etc.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Linking a suggestion about category structure: here.

If you didn't know about this feature, it might interest you, because it is installed on the Wiki.
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by Lery »

cloud wrote:EDIT:

Darkoneko has officially begun to process of restructuring categories.
Yeah, we've seen that... :?
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

We don't need author categories. If we want to, then restrict it to those with multiple series, and keep it for finding works by same author on individual project page only and not for other things (though I rather project leaders explicitly link to other works by same author rather than relying on author categories). Now we have a large number of categories with 1 member (which does not sound right to me), and this is going to keep increasing. Most of these authors may not even have another serialization.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”