Proposal: Wiki Page Name Standardization

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Shadowys
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero No Tsukaima

Re: Proposal: Wiki Page Name Standardization

Post by Shadowys »

I realise I'm a little late into the discussion, but anyway this would impact the way my api handles pages in the future, so I guess I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

Frankly I have not found a proper use in the API if the pages are standardized, as it has been so haphazard the way it is now that I have not thought of using the page title to actually do something (I've noticed the page titles have been renamed, but the links in all the pages have not).

My attempt at cleaning up the BT API is using a very forgiving regex parser to match anything that remotely looks like a volume, and has to be a top level li (a attribute provided from parsed wikitext), example here (https://baka-tsuki-api.herokuapp.com/ap ... o_Tsukaima), and is highly dependent on the order in which the links appear (i.e. top down)

https://github.com/Shadowys/btapi/blob/ ... #L382-L385

If the page links are standardised then it would be great, but for titles like "Illustrations", how would that fit into the numbering system?
Winter's the time of the year,
when the cold chill the skin,
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
your eyes shedding a frozen tear.
Our eyes met,
and warmth filled the air.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Shadowys wrote:(I've noticed the page titles have been renamed, but the links in all the pages have not).
I was unsure what you meant by this, but to clarify just in case, nothing has been renamed (nothing has been done at all) as a result of this proposal. It's still in the discussion stage, and given that there doesn't seem to be much support for it, it will probably stay in the 'discussion only' stage for the foreseeable future.
Shadowys wrote:If the page links are standardised then it would be great, but for titles like "Illustrations", how would that fit into the numbering system?
Cloudii's version of the proposal had a few examples, but what I was imagining personally more along the lines of "Campione!:Volumen_01_Capitulo_01" changed to Campione! (Spanish):Volumen_01_Capitulo_01", and "Campione!:Volume_1_Chapter1" changed to "Campione! (English):Volume_1_Chapter1". I believe doing that (or similar changes) would allow the mediawiki recent changes page to be filtered by language (since every page would include it's language).

That was the application I was most interested in, but the proposal would make more sense if there were multiple benefits to going through all the hassle. So someone else could propose an alternate naming structure that would enable some other application as well.
Shadowys
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero No Tsukaima

Post by Shadowys »

Cthaeh wrote:
Shadowys wrote:(I've noticed the page titles have been renamed, but the links in all the pages have not).
I was unclear what you meant by this, but to clarify just in case, nothing has been renamed (nothing has been done at all) as a result of this proposal. It's still in the discussion stage, and given that there doesn't seem to be much support for it, it will probably stay in the 'discussion only' stage for the foreseeable future.
Zero No Tsukaima's alternate languages are now being redirected to a standard name @@, like ZNT Deutch version->ZNT (German)

I'm also thinking that the main use will be in the recent updates page, where only the page title is given. However, our media wiki version seem to be outdated in that it couldn't check if the recent update is a new page, for a certain title.
Winter's the time of the year,
when the cold chill the skin,
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
your eyes shedding a frozen tear.
Our eyes met,
and warmth filled the air.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Shadowys wrote:Zero No Tsukaima's alternate languages are now being redirected to a standard name @@, like ZNT Deutch version->ZNT (German)
Maybe I was a bit hasty in speaking. You're right that some pages (for ZnT, it looks like only German and Indonesian) were moved by individuals around the time this discussion was started, but it doesn't look like it was a complete change like in this proposal. It looks like some people were just motivated to change a few project page names (or it's possible there was a separate discussion somewhere else).

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”