BT infrastructure changes links

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

BT infrastructure changes links

Post by Mystes »

As the title implies.

Category tags : (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8810)
Spoiler! :
cloud wrote:This seems unrelated, but I wanted to get permission to make a generic Japanese Light Novel Category, that will contain the English Main Project Pages for practically all projects. I'd also like to organize the subcategories (hosted/stalled/complete/full projects) under these.

This may sound dumb/redundant, but there's actually a lot of power than can be gained from this:
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but it could make the lives of programmers using API who need to get a full project list much easier(?)
  • The category page can be doubled as the Full Project Listing Page, since text can be entered above all the category lists (which will be sorted and categorized automatically anyways)
  • Cloud's Motive:
There's a MediaWiki Magic Word that allows you to count the number of pages in a category:

Code: Select all

{{PAGESINCATEGORY:categoryname|all}}
I was beautifying the Baka-Tsuki About Us page in my effort to create/update more HELP pages on the Wiki (see my other forum post), and it occurred to me that rather than estimating "over 100+ projects" or something silly like that, MediaWiki can actually get the exact number.

However, in order for this to work, all of Main Project Pages need to be in a single category. IDK why we haven't done this before. Maybe people thought it was redundant? The stalled projects category could easily be classified as a subcategory, and the Magic Word code would still work. I'd also be able to pretty pretty statistics that are all built into Baka-Tsuki. <3

On a second note, cautr suggested a while ago that the Categories somehow be split into languages. It's a hassle to go to the Teasers Category, but also need to sift through the languages you don't read. Is this anyway possible? I was thinking something like:
  • English
    • Japanese Light Novels (English) --> subcategory
      • Full LN Projects (English) --> subcategory
        • Complete LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
        • Active LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
        • Stalled LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
      • Teaser LN Projects (English) --> subcategory
      • Abandoned LN Projects (English)--> subcategory
    • Japanese Visual Novels (English) --> subcategory
  • Francais
    • Light Novels Japonais (Francais) --> subcategory
  • Espanol
  • etc...
You get the pattern.

Also, I was curious. Does Baka-Tsuki allow non-Japanese light novels? I remember seeing a message Junny posted on TLG's User Page a while ago about hosting the Korean light novels he does. Is there anything against... Korean or Chinese light novels?
Help pages: (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8726)
Spoiler! :
cloud wrote:
cautr wrote:at the moment there are several threads going on about changing BT Quality, the main page, etc.

Those are major changes, especially the discussion about how to improve the quality overall. In my humble opinion it would be nice if we first tend to some smaller things, to warm ourselves up for bigger tasks. In other words: If we could improve/solve a single thing before the year ends.
This is just an FYI. In the next few months, I'll be making a number of draft HELP pages on the Wiki that are designed to collect the numerous random information pages we have everywhere. It's a hassle for new members to locate information about Baka-Tsuki, and if we're hoping to attract new contributors and members, the first step should be is clarify the support information for them.

As such, I hope people don't mind that I start moving pages to the "HELP Category" and start interlinking them to make them navigable. I'll also be editing the language so it becomes more organized and comparable to the help pages of bigger Wiki's (like Wikipedia).

Feel free to edit over the pages I make -- I'll be writing HELP pages on my own time, but I'd gladly welcome anyone who wants to help!

LIST OF PAGES CLOUD MADE/REVISED:
Project page: (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8930)
Spoiler! :
cloud wrote:
larethian (2012) wrote:http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... d_Projects

this page looks good, can we have it linked from the main page?
Hello there~!

I actually never new that Series List page existed. xD I really like it.

Anyhow, because I didn't know it existed, I went ahead and made this some time ago: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... ii_Sandbox

Here's the premise:
  • I have a MySQL database that will keep project information and track updates. If we'd like to go with a system like this, I'd gladly make an interface to make it publicly accessible.
  • I have code that read's Mangaupdates RSS feed (recent updates released). It add's all of Baka-Tsuki's entries to the database
    • Note: It's not working right now... because Cronjobs isn't working very well on 000webhost... I'll need to ask Simon later again if he's interested in hosting some of my php code on his server.
  • In the near future: I plan to make code that will read Baka-Tsuki's Recent Updates page (which I can apparently also get from RSS/atom), to figure out which contributor made the translation corresponding the Mangaupdates entry, since Mangaupdates doesn't track users.
  • In the near future: Use Baka-Tsuki's API to write code that will print the information on the database directly onto the Wiki.
I'm thinking we could probably combine some things here.

The nice thing about using an external MySQL database is that it can sort everything automatically. You wouldn't need to manually track which projects have fallen into the stalled range, or worry about a list becoming out-of-date. Basically, it'd be self-maintaining.

Just a thought/idea.
Wiki project reorganization: (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8926)
Spoiler! :
Cthaeh wrote:
Kadi in Jan 2012 wrote:In my opinion, we have too many "true projects". There are more than 50 of them.
Quoting and necro'ing for the amusement that the same issue was raised two years ago, and now we have more than double the projects (53 then, 120 now).

This topic keeps coming up in recent discussions, but no solution has ever been formally approved. So I want to repeat the proposal to reduce the size of the sidebar by removing projects that have less than 1 complete volume, and make that the new standard for upgrading teaser projects.

This is a list of the 28 projects that would be removed by applying this rule:
7 Nights
Asura Cryin'
Boku to Kanojo no Game Sensou
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Ero_Manga_Sensei
Fate/Apocrypha
Ginban Kaleidoscope
Haken no Kouki Altina
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Kampfer
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Mayo Chiki!
MuvLuv Alternative Schwarzesmarken
My Maid is a Formless Entity
Onii-chan_Dakedo_Ai_Sae_Areba_Kankei_Nai_yo_ne— (couldn't get linking to work with ending —)
Ousama Game
Rain
Read or Die
Rinkan no Madoushi
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
ShinSekai Yori
Shissou Suru Shishunki no Parabellum

I would personally make an exception for the following 3 in a purge, as they are near the 1 volume mark and have an active translator.
Rakuin no Monshou
Shinmai_Maou_no_Keiyakusha
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected
Also see below reply posts for other possible exceptions.
Any opinions, opposition, or support?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”