B-T Youtube - LN Audio Recordings

Discuss audio books for light novels.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

TheCatWalk
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: B-T Youtube - LN Audio Recordings

Post by TheCatWalk »

onizuka-gto wrote: oh, anyone got a suggestion for a free video editing program? Need to put that place card eroragi made into it....
dont know about free ones but i've always used cyberlink. (you can try torrenting one but since there might be risks of viruses...idk?)
MAIN HEROINES FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
pudding321
Haruhi Bunny Commando

Post by pudding321 »

onizuka-gto wrote:

Can you give me the name of the novel series, chapter and the links to the script on the wiki.

They will be added to the youtube video: about section.
And I was thinking about re-doing it...anyway here

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... nd:Content
LoveLive! and Book Girl Extras: http://schoolidoldiary.wordpress.com/
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

pudding321 wrote:
onizuka-gto wrote:

Can you give me the name of the novel series, chapter and the links to the script on the wiki.

They will be added to the youtube video: about section.
And I was thinking about re-doing it...anyway here

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... nd:Content

ah, you wish to do it again? sure.

erm....can you make it into an mp3 this time & send the link to bakatsukiaudio email?? it'll make working with windows movie maker so much easier... :lol:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
eroragi
Digitalizer Editor

Post by eroragi »

Great to see so much interest in the project guys! I can promise you there is more audio on the way - I'm in the process of recording in bulk so I can put up Hitagi Crab in its entirety rather than slowly updating chapter by chapter.

Thanks for the advice TheGiftedMonkey, I don't actually speak any Japanese so I will make doubly sure that all my pronunciations are accurate.

DevilHands, a SoundCloud would be excellent and to be honest it just didn't occur to me. If you want to create one then go ahead. If not I will make one after work tomorrow and upload the audio tracks already found on the YouTube channel.

Normally I wouldn't recommend Windows Movie Maker to anyone if a Microsoft employee had a gun to my head but since this project is only static images and audio I'd say its more than adequate. Just make sure to do all the audio editing in another program such as Audacity because even trying to change the length of audio files in WMM can cause it to throw a massive tantrum. Here's the title card:

richbonner93
Digitalizer Editor

Post by richbonner93 »

I am highly interested to do audio recordings for the LN that have been translated by the site's freaking unbelievably amazing translators.

I just have a few questions:
1.) Recording in bulk would be best, of course. However, is it more preferable to have separate recordings for each chapter (as on the channel so far) or to have the entire novel volume in one, long recording?

2.) If the volumes portray any form of profanity/sexual themes (or pretty much anything that some people might get butt-hurt about), should there be a warning at the beginning of the video after the Baka-tsuki.org opening banner?
Spoiler! :
3.) If someone starts a LN series, should that same person also record the entire series as to continue a familiar voice for the listener?

4.) Since I have access to WMM, Sony Vegas Pro 12, and other recording and video making/editing software, would it be better for you if I made a video with my audio recording (which includes editing my video as well) so you wouldn't have to worry about editing the video yourself?

5.) I can also assist with exporting just audio files which can be available for downloadable files for baka-tsuki.org readers to have a personal audio book on their mp3 devices. Would that be a good idea?

Again, this is a great idea and I am in full support :D
Spoiler! :
Favorite LN Series: Highschool DXD
Other LN Series: SAO, Accel World, Kaze no Stigma, Date a Live, Infinite Stratos, Log Horizon
Spoiler! :
Anime Currently Watching
  • Grenadier
  • No Game No Life
  • Fairy Tail (2014)
  • Date A Live
  • FMA: Brotherhood
  • Gundam Wing
  • Psycho-Pass
defan752
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by defan752 »

Fully supportive of this project; it's been something I've wanted for a very long time.

Bumping these excellent questions:
richbonner93 wrote:I am highly interested to do audio recordings for the LN that have been translated by the site's freaking unbelievably amazing translators.

I just have a few questions:
1.) Recording in bulk would be best, of course. However, is it more preferable to have separate recordings for each chapter (as on the channel so far) or to have the entire novel volume in one, long recording?

2.) If the volumes portray any form of profanity/sexual themes (or pretty much anything that some people might get butt-hurt about), should there be a warning at the beginning of the video after the Baka-tsuki.org opening banner?
Spoiler! :
3.) If someone starts a LN series, should that same person also record the entire series as to continue a familiar voice for the listener?

4.) Since I have access to WMM, Sony Vegas Pro 12, and other recording and video making/editing software, would it be better for you if I made a video with my audio recording (which includes editing my video as well) so you wouldn't have to worry about editing the video yourself?

5.) I can also assist with exporting just audio files which can be available for downloadable files for baka-tsuki.org readers to have a personal audio book on their mp3 devices. Would that be a good idea?

Again, this is a great idea and I am in full support :D
Few questions of my own:

1) What LNs do we read? The official printed and published ones or the translated ones here?

2) Do we have to do some sort of interview process to contribute?

3) Should we have another database for audio files besides YouTube to create an audiobook style project (what Richbonner93 suggested)?

Again, excellent idea and I would love to see this flourish as a side project. Let's do it people!

Edit: Another question: Since richbonner93 suggested using the same voice for an entire series, what if someone decides to drop out or we have a collaboration or something like that? Should there be some kind of competition if there are multiple entires for a series?
richbonner93
Digitalizer Editor

Post by richbonner93 »

defan752 wrote:Few questions of my own:

1) What LNs do we read? The official printed and published ones or the translated ones here?

3) Should we have another database for audio files besides YouTube to create an audiobook style project (what Richbonner93 suggested)?
I'm pretty sure we would be reading from the translations on the site. I didn't even think about if they wanted to interview us. Good call!
Edit: Another question: Since richbonner93 suggested using the same voice for an entire series, what if someone decides to drop out or we have a collaboration or something like that? Should there be some kind of competition if there are multiple entires for a series?
And that didn't even occur to me. Thanks for asking that!
Spoiler! :
Other LN Series: SAO, Accel World, Kaze no Stigma, Date a Live, Infinite Stratos, Log Horizon
Spoiler! :
Anime Currently Watching
  • Grenadier
  • No Game No Life
  • Fairy Tail (2014)
  • Date A Live
  • Gundam Wing
  • Psycho-Pass
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

richbonner93 wrote: I just have a few questions:

Spoiler! :

1) Recordings by chapters are preferably, so if you are going to do a reading of an entire voulme, make sure you can break it up by chapters or less.

That way, as Eroragi mentioned previously, it'll make uploading and releasing easier for both you and the listeners.

2) releasing by chapters is preferably and we will apply the same tried and tested translation/registration guidelines for all Baka-Tsuki projects.

i.e. Only two registered Translators/Readers per volume for any given novel series.

3) This applies to the above, it might be useful to create a Audio Baka-tsuki project page on the wiki, to track the registration of the novel series and volumes people wish to read and record.

4) Make your own? Please do! Anyone who can edit/create video/audio tracks please do so, just make it in a format that is friendly to either youtube and soundcloud, if in doubt, make it mp3 or mp4 format.
Just be aware you must add the visual notice and read it out, you can make your own first image place-card or you can use eroragi image.

5) Sure! you can add download links to third party file download sites, please send them in and we will add it to the youtube about section, in soundcloud, we can enable download options so you don't have to worry about that.

defan752 wrote: Few questions of my own:

Again, excellent idea and I would love to see this flourish as a side project. Let's do it people!

1) Please use only Baka-Tsuki translations, links to the chapters must be included in the youtube/soundcloud description.

2) not really, as long as your recordings are clear and clean with no artefacts or distortion.
As long as you register for what you want to read, there really won't be a interview, unless there is a really need.

3) Database? what do you mean? please elaborate.

4) If someone drops out, the chapter will be available again for registration, people can register as a collaboration or individually. Registration will be on the first come, first register basis.

Creation of the index page for the baka-tsuki audio project, will be up soon, from there on, we will add sections for registration of chapters from a light novel.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
richbonner93
Digitalizer Editor

Post by richbonner93 »

onizuka-gto wrote:1) Recordings by chapters are preferably, so if you are going to do a reading of an entire voulme, make sure you can break it up by chapters or less.

That way, as Eroragi mentioned previously, it'll make uploading and releasing easier for both you and the listeners.

2) releasing by chapters is preferably and we will apply the same tried and tested translation/registration guidelines for all Baka-Tsuki projects.

i.e. Only two registered Translators/Readers per volume for any given novel series.

3) This applies to the above, it might be useful to create a Audio Baka-tsuki project page on the wiki, to track the registration of the novel series and volumes people wish to read and record.

4) Make your own? Please do! Anyone who can edit/create video/audio tracks please do so, just make it in a format that is friendly to either youtube and soundcloud, if in doubt, make it mp3 or mp4 format.
Just be aware you must add the visual notice and read it out, you can make your own first image place-card or you can use eroragi image.

5) Sure! you can add download links to third party file download sites, please send them in and we will add it to the youtube about section, in soundcloud, we can enable download options so you don't have to worry about that.
Alright awesome! However, I am confused on the answer you gave to the second question.

Also, what defan752 meant by database is just having a spot on the website (or a separate website like soundcloud) to have all the downloadable audiobook files for baka-tsuki readers to put onto their mp3 devices.

Also, is signing up for the audio projects similar to how the translator project sign-ups are?

I apologize for asking a lot of questions :(

EDIT: Sorry another question...

Who will we need to send the audio/video files to for them to be uploaded on the YouTube channel?
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
Anime Currently Watching
  • Grenadier
  • No Game No Life
  • Fairy Tail (2014)
  • Date A Live
  • Gundam Wing
  • Psycho-Pass
defan752
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by defan752 »

richbonner93 wrote:Also, is signing up for the audio projects similar to how the translator project sign-ups are?

I apologize for asking a lot of questions :(

EDIT: Sorry another question...

Who will we need to send the audio/video files to for them to be uploaded on the YouTube channel?
Bumping this.
Raaando
Astral Realm

Post by Raaando »

Pulling out
Last edited by Raaando on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Compushwa
Astral Realm

Post by Compushwa »

Made an account because I wanted to try doing some readings too. Although it's been almost a month and still only the two chapters have been posted so I hope it's still going on. D:

Anyways, even though I'm not the person behind the youtube channel, I thought what you did was good Raaando. :D
richbonner93
Digitalizer Editor

Post by richbonner93 »

Not sure when the Audiobook registration will be up on the site, but I will get started on the Highschool DXD series :).

Also, I noticed from the earlier posts where to send the finished file.
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
Anime Currently Watching
  • Grenadier
  • No Game No Life
  • Fairy Tail (2014)
  • Date A Live
  • Gundam Wing
  • Psycho-Pass
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

I just found this community today, after having read Volume One of SAO. Which I saw was pulled from the site, at least partially, due to an official translation. I'm going to assume that due to the site policy, SAO is not being held under consideration as an Audiobook? I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by inquiring. As anyone reads what I'm about to say next, I'd like to clarify that my intentions aren't to promote myself here, or doing any kind of shilling. With that kept in mind...

The reason I'm asking is that before I even checked out this community, I have undergone preparations to begin an Audiobook on it. So it was quite a surprise to find out there have been others with similar sentiments. If SAO was indeed up for consideration, I wanted to let people know that I'm taking it up. However, as I've already established my own Youtube channel, and would like to keep all my continued projects in one place, I do not wish to provide them on the site community channel. My presentation, style, and quality are distinctly different as well. My channel was established for the purpose of providing myself with concrete goals to further improve my skills as a Voice Actor/Voice Over. While also entertaining people through the projects I produce for that channel. It also serves as a potentially great platform for getting my name out there. My projects up to this point are meant to make people laugh, and most will continue to be this way. While I plan to expand into different kinds of videos, I expect a lot of what I'll continue to produce will be Audiobooks. I have already been working on two fanfiction audiobooks and have finished one fanfiction short story. I chose SAO because it's a genre I haven't tried before, and it looks like it will help bring my VA skills to new heights.

These videos have animated text which allow people to read along during the video, if they wish to. I also use a recording setup valued at around $1,000, so it's a quite different from someone using a headset (or laptop) mic. I use royalty free music and/or music under creative commons, include sound effects when I feel they're needed, and overall it's a herculean task to make these the way I do. I suppose this another big reason why I like to keep my own works under my channel, I spend large chunks of my time producing them.

I'm going through with the project either way, but I felt like it'd be incredibly rude not to let this community know about what I'm doing. I wouldn't want someone to feel like they wasted their time producing an audiobook, only to find out some random guy on Youtube already beat him to the punch. I also credit everyone possible, and made this post to also ask if Baka-Tsuki and any its translators involved would like to be credited in the project or not. I'll leave you out, if you don't wish to be associated with an unofficial project.

Either way, hopefully I haven't upset anyone here. Hopefully what I said didn't come off as me trying to get everyone to watch my channel. Not my intention at all, I think it'd be lovely to share what I have coming down the pipe, and have more people watching my videos, because it does help me (just being honest). However, I wouldn't think of posting links unless the mods allow it.

Anyway, aside from that. Hopefully I can take part in the discussion, I think it's very neat to find people who want to produce audiobooks just for fun.
yawningglory
Astral Realm

Post by yawningglory »

Hey!

Pretty interested in this project, though that could be the booze talking. Despite being a new forum member, I've been coming to this site for years (I actually found it in Japan, when I realized how ridiculous some of the kanji got in LNs from MelonBooks and how much I just wanted to finish the story...>__>). If this is a way I'd be able to contribute, that'd be cool.

Kamachi-sensei doesn't get enough love, so here's a prologue/preview of the less-followed of his two main projects, Heavy Object:

http://speedy.sh/nyRdB/heavyobjectprologuerevised.flac

Return to “Audio Recordings”