[Interest] Project: WN Mobile Aggregator Host

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

[Interest] Project: WN Mobile Aggregator Host

Post by cloudii »

Note: This project is not affiliated with Baka-Tsuki.

For a long while, I've been toying with the idea of developing a non-wiki-based novel aggregator/host that covers most of MediaWiki's shortcomings as a novel host, for instance:
  • A built-in API that isn't based on parsing
  • A distinct way to recognize complete chapters/volumes for updates and announcements purposes
  • A way to organize the chronology of chapters (or multiple versions of a chapter from different translation groups)
  • Allow translators to control/restrict who has edit access to their uploads (or make them public like on Baka-Tsuki)
  • Browsing by genre/rating/popularity/etc.
I was thinking this sort of application could best be pitched as a webnovel aggregator (at least to start) because the webnovel fandom currently lacks any aggregators or any mobile readers. Furthermore, webnovels have a huge advantage in the sense that they are not likely to be licensed and DMCAs are rather unlikely. Light novels and original light novels could be additional sections, but I think it would be best marketed as a webnovel host (times are changing, ne?).

The main application would preferably only work as a API back-end/repository (no HTML reader included) for translation groups to upload translations. The benefit of doing this is that (1) we could encourage more translation groups to upload content for the purposes of getting their translations on mobile reading apps without competing with their own private translation blogs/websites (2) avoid getting novel series indexed by search engines so they are less likely to be hit by random shotgun DMCAs.

The vision for this host would be a universal mobile-only aggregator host.

Was curious if anyone was interested in this kind of project. It's pretty big in the sense that it would ideally consist of:
  • API backend/repository + portal for translators to upload things
  • (intentionally no HTML reader for reasons stated above)
  • Android reader app (separate)
  • iOS reader app (separate)
  • anything else people feel like developing off of the API; open source would be nice yo~
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: [Interest] Project: WN Mobile Aggregator Host

Post by zzhk »

Speaking of aggregation, there seems to be a site already doing that:
http://www.readlightnovel.com/

Calling themselves the largest novel collection on the internet, they seem to be pirating translations from all kinds of sources (B-T, blogs, etc), offering series that have been licensed or DMCA'd, and removing all afterwords without crediting anyone.
_AzSiAz
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by _AzSiAz »

zzhk wrote:Speaking of aggregation, there seems to be a site already doing that:

Calling themselves the largest novel collection on the internet, they seem to be pirating translations from all kinds of sources (B-T, blogs, etc), offering series that have been licensed or DMCA'd, and removing all afterwords without crediting anyone.
Well it was bound to happen since every one want to their own blog for their translation plus there is a lot more of DMCA'd novel, translator want to be independent from Aggregator Host but people don't really care about this, they just want something like netflix for novel, web novel, etc^^

Anyway great idea, it would be good starting point and obviously it should be completely unrelated from baka-tsuki since it can be quite a long time before something happen here^^
I also think you (or someone else) need to invite some of those translator to participate in the debate since it should be for theirs users but they also take a really big play in it

By the way how do you think translation should be written ? in html or something like markdown (or equivalent) which can be converted to basically everything ?

Should translator/editor/someone post them or should we get them automatically from their blog (wordpress mostly) with their autorisation ?
I think the last point is important because if done automatically there is less work to do, but more work on api/server side so is it worth doing it or no ?
cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by cloudii »

zzhk wrote:Speaking of aggregation, there seems to be a site already doing that:

In my view, that's more of a reason/motivation to have a legitimate competitor that has more of a sense of ethics then they do.
_AzSiAz wrote: Anyway great idea, it would be good starting point and obviously it should be completely unrelated from baka-tsuki since it can be quite a long time before something happen here^^
I also think you (or someone else) need to invite some of those translator to participate in the debate since it should be for theirs users but they also take a really big play in it

By the way how do you think translation should be written ? in html or something like markdown (or equivalent) which can be converted to basically everything ?

Should translator/editor/someone post them or should we get them automatically from their blog (wordpress mostly) with their autorisation ?
I think the last point is important because if done automatically there is less work to do, but more work on api/server side so is it worth doing it or no ?
HTML would probably be the most reasonable, since most wordpress bloggers have their translations formatted in HTML and many translators don't know Markdown. However, support for multiple formats would be a cherry on top.

As for the last point, I think it's important to provide credit and acquire permission from the translation groups to host their translations (and host translations so long as permission is granted). It's for this reason why I believe there shouldn't be an online World Wide Web reader (as it would compete with views at translators own private blogs) -- in effect, I think this would work well as a Android/iOS-only/etc aggregator.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
_AzSiAz
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by _AzSiAz »

Well HTML can also be converted to markdown so it *should* be okay^^

Of course permission and credit from translator is an obligation, I'm even for telling it in the start (end too maybe) of the chapter to be sure everyone see it^^
Lunar Vitae
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel: Maria-sama ga Miteru

Post by Lunar Vitae »

Interesting. I'm not very savvy when it comes to software development or coding (despite being knowledgeable with computers/electronics), but I may undertake the task to bring this to Windows. With OneCore, Microsoft wants apps available on the store to work across multiple devices (i.e.: desktops, phones, Windows-based tablets, etc.). Essentially, a "mobile app" written for Windows would be available on your Windows PC, Surface RT, or even the Xbox One.

Unless I'm missing the point of flying under the radar with a mobile-only reader. See above note on software.
Feel free to contact me here, on Discord (#5703), or on the wiki (Leviticus)!

Join our Discord!

Current Projects:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (Project Manager, Editor)
_AzSiAz
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by _AzSiAz »

Well as long as there is a solid and functional api behind almost everything should be possible

Return to “Developers and Code”