ePUB Generator

Forum for volunteer developers working on Baka-Tsuki related applications (Baka-Reader, BTprince, etc).

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rasen
Astral Realm

Re: ePUB Generator

Post by Rasen »

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I've been trying out the ePub generator, and it works pretty darn well. The only minor problem I can think of is sometimes after generating an ePub for download, it's not....complete? Maybe the cover image is missing, or something. The fix is then to keep trying to redownload/regenerate, and if the size is larger than before, it's usually a good sign.

Like a previous poster, I'm a little concerned about file sizes and was wondering what you might recommend for an iPad 3, using IBooks? I don't really know what's the difference between something optimized for iPad 1 or iPad 2 or Kobo. I do know I want colored pictures because otherwise it might as well be on a regular ereader...

Thanks so much for all the awesome work!
Kurogane
Astral Realm

Post by Kurogane »

Hi Simon,

Great work on the auto ePub generator! Really makes it great to not have to wait for ePubs to be made whenever a volume is done translating.

One problem I wanted to highlight though, the auto-generated ePubs do not seem to have the metadata in the correct format for the Nook for Android app to read (I haven't tested on other devices, but Calibre reads the metadata fine). This results in the ePub list in my Nook app showing something like this:

Opening More Details...

Do you know what is causing this problem? It's a minor annoyance really, but makes it harder for me to browse through my library if every ePub doesn't have a name in the display... otherwise, the ePub generator works perfectly.
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

At this point I would say that it has something to do with the "Nook" software.

The META is written the way it was specified HERE.

--------------------

Minor changes.

Try re-downloading them again.

And if it says nothing in Publisher... I'll report it to them...
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Kurogane
Astral Realm

Post by Kurogane »

Tried redownloading, but it does not work still.

I read further through the OPF spec you posted and compared it with some other working ePubs in my library. Opening the content.opf in the working ones yields something like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"  encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookId" version="2.0">
  <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
    <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Ishibumi, Ichiei">Ichiei Ishibumi</dc:creator>
<dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:889e6d3b-4c67-4a77-a322-HSDXD05</dc:identifier>
    <dc:title>High School DxD - Volume 5 - Hellcat of the Underworld Training Camp</dc:title>
    <dc:contributor opf:role="ill">Miyama-Zero</dc:contributor>
    <dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN">978-4829134702</dc:identifier>
    <dc:description><p class="description">Please become a gentle and strong Sekiryuutei.</p></dc:description>
    <dc:date opf:event="creation">2012-08-21</dc:date>
    <dc:contributor opf:role="edt">Mike43110</dc:contributor>
    <dc:contributor opf:role="trl">Eternal Dreamer</dc:contributor>
    <dc:date opf:event="publication">2012-11-30T23:00:00+00:00</dc:date>
    <dc:publisher>Baka-Tsuki</dc:publisher>
    <meta content="0.5.3" name="Sigil version"/>
    <meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg"/>
  <meta name="calibre:title_sort" content="High School DxD - Volume 5 - Hellcat of the Underworld Training Camp"/>
<meta name="calibre:user_categories" content="{}"/>
<meta name="calibre:author_link_map" content="{"Ichiei Ishibumi": ""}"/>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
</metadata>
But the ones I generated again from your site looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookId" version="2.0"><metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf"><dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:4a4a67d1-bfac-485a-88df-b6fa5fad6224</dc:identifier><dc:title>Campione! - Volume 9 - Return of the Goddess</dc:title><dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN">978-4-0863-0600-3</dc:identifier><dc:creator opf:file-as="Jou, Taketsuki" opf:role="aut">Taketsuki Jou</dc:creator><dc:date>2012-12-07</dc:date><dc:date opf:event="creation">2012-12-07</dc:date><dc:contributor opf:role="edt">Simon</dc:contributor><dc:contributor opf:file-as="zzhk" opf:role="trl">zzhk</dc:contributor><dc:date opf:event="publication">2012-12-07</dc:date><dc:publisher>Baka-Tsuki</dc:publisher><dc:language>en</dc:language><dc:rights>All materials' copyrights reserved by their respective authors and the associated publishers. Please respect their rights. Works will be deleted upon request by copyright holders.</dc:rights><meta content="Cover.jpg" name="cover" /></metadata>....
Curious, I tried to edit the content.opf by adding the newlines so that it looks more structured....

<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookId" version="2.0">
		<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
			<dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:4a4a67d1-bfac-485a-88df-b6fa5fad6224</dc:identifier>
			<dc:title>Campione! - Volume 9 - Return of the Goddess</dc:title>
			<dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN">978-4-0863-0600-3</dc:identifier>
			<dc:creator opf:file-as="Jou, Taketsuki" opf:role="aut">Taketsuki Jou</dc:creator
			><dc:date>2012-12-07</dc:date><dc:date opf:event="creation">2012-12-07</dc:date>
			<dc:contributor opf:role="edt">Simon</dc:contributor>
			<dc:contributor opf:file-as="zzhk" opf:role="trl">zzhk</dc:contributor>
			<dc:date opf:event="publication">2012-12-07</dc:date>
			<dc:publisher>Baka-Tsuki</dc:publisher>
			<dc:language>en</dc:language>
			<dc:rights>All materials' copyrights reserved by their respective authors and the associated publishers. Please respect their rights. Works will be deleted upon request by copyright holders.</dc:rights>
			<meta content="Cover.jpg" name="cover" />
		</metadata>
And it works!

I did the same also for the two other volumes of Campione! I generated from the site. So it looks like the Nook Android app does not seem to read the metadata file properly if is not in the right "structure". Is it possible to fix the issue? Otherwise, I will just manually edit the ePubs myself...
Aska
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Aska »

The structure is sone of the importants things in the ePubs.

Simon,
You might try to add <br /> and &nbsp by your own, or it doesn't work for the OPF's file ?
Searching for
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

...that again *facetable*

Thanks.

It's a problem with the way the strings are added to the files.
It's not possible to change it right now.
In a week I have vacation and I wanted to rewrite the script so it will do things in a more correct way and the files would be created in memory(bit faster and less problems).

So I would like to ask you to wait ~2 weeks, and hope that I'm not lazy.
Btw. you can use Sigil, it will format the content the right way. You have just to open the ePUB with it and save it.

There is also the thought about writing OPDS, but I'm still thinking.

Aska:
They are only useful if there is a browser engine or something that will interprete it that way.
Also You don't see it when it's displayed but it's still in the source code.
Also that's DC, and I think that <br /> would cause errors.
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
Aska
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Aska »

Simon wrote:and I think that <br /> would cause errors.
My mind goes on that way too.
Searching for
Kurogane
Astral Realm

Post by Kurogane »

Simon wrote:...that again *facetable*

Thanks.

It's a problem with the way the strings are added to the files.
It's not possible to change it right now.
In a week I have vacation and I wanted to rewrite the script so it will do things in a more correct way and the files would be created in memory(bit faster and less problems).

So I would like to ask you to wait ~2 weeks, and hope that I'm not lazy.
Btw. you can use Sigil, it will format the content the right way. You have just to open the ePUB with it and save it.

There is also the thought about writing OPDS, but I'm still thinking.
Of course, sure. I just wanted to highlight this issue as I find it a very useful thing for the site. In the mean time I can just do it manual way, since it's not too much of a hassle (just add newlines) and it's really my personal preference. I've been reading latest Campione! from the generated ePub using the Nook app with no problems whatsoever so far.

Again thanks for your great work on the auto-generator!
Blueseph
Astral Realm

Post by Blueseph »

Hey, great stuff Simon and I've been reading various light novels (Kino no Tabi, Baka to Test, and many one-offs) with no problem whatsoever! One question though. Is the novel list automatically generated, or is it all manual add? I ask this because OreImo 3 and Gundam Unicorn 3, for example, are complete, but not in the generator. Thanks!
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

IF every one would follow the Guideline and IF the wiki would follow the Guideline then it wouldn't be a problem to write a script that does everything automated.

^^No offence. I don't really care about it.

Yeah they are added manually.

Added OreImo 3 and Gundam 3
Rasen
Astral Realm

Post by Rasen »

Hello, sorry to bother again, but I seem to have a problem with the ePub generated for for Sword Art Online v.10.

When I view the epub in iBooks, I see an error "This page contains the following errors: error on line 524 at column 118: Opening and ending tag mismatch: i line 0 and span" and "Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error." and the ePub only goes up to a part of Chapter 2, the last line being "No...unfortunately, I can't do that."
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Fixed.

That was an error in the wiki. just search for the last word in the epub where it stops and search for it in the wiki. when you use edit button and search for it again, you'll probably will find a tag mismatch or a missing tag.
If that's fixed, every 4 hours a script is cleaning my directories. After that you can generate it again or just try to generate with another resolution.

As already said some posts earlier, I'm working on the script, so I can generate things in the memory.
Rasen
Astral Realm

Post by Rasen »

Wow, that was quick! Thanks so much!

I tested it out, and it appears fine. I wasn't expecting them to be fixed so quickly, I was just hoping it might somehow help in the writing of what you young-ins call "scripts."

Also, I came across problems with some others which I downloaded at the end of November. I re-generated them to see if they had the same issues.

Fate/Apocrypha - does not open,
Fate/Zero 3 - "Error on line 1044 at column 5: opening and ending tag mismatch: em line 0 and p" - "Pathetic, eh?"
Fate/Zero 4 - "Error on line 506 at column 5: opening and ending tag mismatch: i line 0 and p" - ""...Sorry, there are many, many promises left unfulfilled."
Highschool DxD 4 - does not open
Highschool DxD 12 - does not open
To Aru Majutsu no Index 2 - "Error on line 2826 at column 125: opening and ending tag mismatch: span line 0 and i" -"Kamijou seemed to hear something flip in his mind." "Part 2"
To Aru Majutsu no Index 3 - "Error on line 65 at column 99: opening and ending tag mismatch: b line 0 and center" - "Please read Template: PREVIEW for further information"
To Aru Majutsu no Index 13 - "Error on line 806 at column 99: opening and ending tag mismatch: b line 0 and center" - "Please read Template: PREVIEW for further information"
To Aru Majutsu no Index 16 - "Error on line 2331 at column 99: opening and ending tag mismatch: b line 0 and center" - "Please read Template: PREVIEW for further information"
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

Fixed Fate/Zero. High School is a problem on my side, i'll try to fix it later. To Aru.... don't have permissions to edit... will try to contact some people who can.
Raj503
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Raj503 »

When I try to make ePub for Date A Live volume 1 ePub only Novel Illustrations. There's not text in it. I tried to make ePub 2 times but I got the same :-

XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </b>.
Location: file:///C:/Users/xxxxx/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/m6f20j8x.default/epub/261/OEBPS/Text/Body.xhtml
Line Number 1535, Column 3:

Return to “Developers and Code”