Questions about the Rules

Have a question? Not sure what you're doing? How to start a project? Why isn't the android app working? Preferably use Discord or wiki's admin talk, but you can ask it here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
This is a pruned topic. If nobody responds to your post before it is pruned, please post again.
cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Questions about the Rules

Post by cloudii »

This page will be used for inquiries about B-T rules and policies.

No question is a stupid question. If you are unsure whether a rule applies to you, this is the right thread to ask.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
Astral Realm

Re: Questions about the Rules

Post by Guest »

How is this going to affect translators who are working on licensed projects, or receiving payment for translating (ads/commisions etc) outside of baka-tsuki and who don't promote their works here?
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

If they're not affiliated with B-T in any way, neither linked nor mentioned, then obviously they won't be affected at all.
IndividualEleven
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by IndividualEleven »

Okay I somewhat understand what BT are saying but my question is what groups that are associated with BT that are doing this? What are the Light Novels they are working on? I know BT's rules and was somewhat confused.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

USA copyright law considers pirate sites soliciting donations to be the same as receiving payment for pirated goods. This is already established with RIAA court cases. Does this mean that Baka-Tsuki will no longer provide links to external sites collecting payments for pirated goods? Or will Baka-Tsuki continue to provide links to sites that collect payment for pirated goods?

Regarding current status, as of right now, Baka-Tsuki provides links to sites that ask for payment for pirated goods.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

So which projects does this affect? Does it affect Mushuku Tensei?
2hayka
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei as of currently

Post by 2hayka »

I notice that some of the links on the main english category are not working or is that just me? Is it because of the new rules?
Favorite LNs: Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru, Spice and Wolf, No Game no Life, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Campione!, Clockwork Planet. There should be more...
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Guest wrote:USA copyright law considers pirate sites soliciting donations to be the same as receiving payment for pirated goods. This is already established with RIAA court cases. Does this mean that Baka-Tsuki will no longer provide links to external sites collecting payments for pirated goods? Or will Baka-Tsuki continue to provide links to sites that collect payment for pirated goods?
BT has "never" (within the 2-3 year I've been around) allowed directly linking to pirated material (ie raws, scantalations of licensed manga, pirated software) of any kind. The new rules apply to external projects that link to external translation sites engaged in commercial activity.
2hayka wrote:I notice that some of the links on the main English category are not working or is that just me? Is it because of the new rules?
I don't believe there has been any action taken yet based on the new rules. So I think it's just you or a temporary problem, though you'd have to give the project names for me to test and confirm.
megagmat
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

Post by megagmat »

So I looked over the "Getting Started" rules but I wanted to make absolutely sure;

Are translators, given permission, allowed to translate from one target language to another?
Ex: Translating the English version of Mondaiji into Turkish?

I realise a lot of meaning can be lost in translation but some translations are quite well done and I'd love to share the world of light novels in my own language. If I knew Japanese well enough I'd go straight from the Source Language but that's impossible for the time being.
Currently Translating: HakoMari (TR)
Translated So Far: HakoMari 1, 2 & 3 (TR),

Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

megagmat wrote:So I looked over the "Getting Started" rules but I wanted to make absolutely sure;

Are translators, given permission, allowed to translate from one target language to another?
Ex: Translating the English version of Mondaiji into Turkish?
Yes, that is allowed.
LunaTico
Astral Realm

Post by LunaTico »

Errr, does baka tsuki have rules whatsoever on people who want to write Original Light Novels? I want to write one in this site :3
Lunar Vitae
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel: Maria-sama ga Miteru

Post by Lunar Vitae »

We do, and I just replied in the thread you made asking about it :wink: Sorry it took so long for a reply.
Feel free to contact me here, on Discord (#5703), or on the wiki (Leviticus)!

Join our Discord!

Current Projects:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (Project Manager, Editor)
kanataeleven
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Kouko no Rettosei

Post by kanataeleven »

Is it allowed to delete an entirely translated chapter (which is my translation, of course) because of several personal issues?
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

kanataeleven wrote:Is it allowed to delete an entirely translated chapter (which is my translation, of course) because of several personal issues?
Yes, if you're the translator, you have control over your translation. If you were the one to post it on the wiki, then just submit a request with your wiki account via the admin contact page saying which page(s) of yours you want deleted.

If you have a blog elsewhere and someone else was the one to copy it to the BT wiki, then either here or at the admin contact page, give the pages with your translations as well as a link to your blog that they were copied from (If you were the one to post it on BT yourself, then it doesn't matter if you've also posted in on a blog, just do the first thing as above).
McDoogle
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by McDoogle »

I've read the rules over and I still don't quite understand the general guidelines for being able to post. I seem to not be able to post in the forums or use the DM feature, so I can't contact someone who I want to edit for. What do I need to do?

Return to “General Help”