Golden Time

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Golden Time ?

It was good! Please do more!
94%
It was interesting.
5%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
1%

Total votes: 876

zensunni
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Golden Time: General

Post by zensunni »

Even if it wasn't in the veranda scene, it still fits. It wasn't convincing in the least, and Banri will likely not stop wondering.

It appears that Kouko isn't the only one that got a bit possessive in this episode! Banri's ghost did a bit of possession as well!
Now blogging at Nabe!!.
amrul
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by amrul »

zensunni wrote:Even if it wasn't in the veranda scene, it still fits. It wasn't convincing in the least, and Banri will likely not stop wondering.

It appears that Kouko isn't the only one that got a bit possessive in this episode! Banri's ghost did a bit of possession as well!
well by doing it this way then the last bit of the end of chapter 4 volume 4 can be just left out :lol:
l.kostas
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

http://blog.livedoor.jp/usagiya2007/arc ... 33206.html

At that review of the extra AFRICA, there is a Rena(玲那) - senpai mentioned at the first paragraph. She might be the same girl from episode 8.

This is about the next episode:
http://toro.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/magazin/1385101064/

来週は、恐らく口切って看病までだよな 。
Volume 3 chapter 4
おまけん練習(小指絡める)
こーこすねる
入れ替わりで口切る
Volume 4 chapter 1
NANA先輩に甘える
リンダ看病
Volume 4 chapter 2
いつもの連中看病
香子と海に行く約束

で1話使いそうな気がする。
過去話は小指ネタがあるアニだろうな。

From the same forum about this illustration:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 07_133.jpg

Volume 7 page 140. He tells Linda he wants to reveal the truth about them to Mitsuo.

七巻140pにて
万里が柳澤含めた仲良し五人組(香子除く)に記憶喪失と高校時代のリンダとの関係を明かそうかリンダに相談。
そしてそこで万里は柳澤達に真実を明かす決意をリンダに伝える。
リンダは万里が好きなタイミングで伝えればいいよ、と言う。
その時に「事実をありのままに全部、」
で目を伏せて「無理だなそれ」と独り言のようにつぶやく。
zensunni
Elite Haruhiist

Post by zensunni »

amrul wrote:
zensunni wrote:Even if it wasn't in the veranda scene, it still fits. It wasn't convincing in the least, and Banri will likely not stop wondering.

well by doing it this way then the last bit of the end of chapter 4 volume 4 can be just left out :lol:
Actually, if you pay close attention to the scene, which I did on the third time through, it is NOT BANRI that asks Linda what the answer was! Watch it closely, his head droops right after she says "We're looking at the same sky. That hasn't changed at all." There is an audible "uhhh" sound and Linda looks over and says "Banri?" with a question in her voice, then he asks about her answer. Also, there is a distinct difference between Banri's normal speaking voice and the voice of Banri's Ghost. The Ghost is flatter, less animated, and the voice is in a lower register. My daughter pointed out to me that it is the Ghost voice that asks about her answer, not the Banri voice. (I am not letting her watch the whole thing, as I have to screen the tea-club girls out to protect her impressionable mind, but the funny parts outside of that, or the really well done parts, I let her watch...)

So, to sum up, Banri still doesn't know what Linda's answer would have been. The ghost was in control at that point!
Now blogging at Nabe!!.
amrul
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by amrul »

zensunni wrote: Actually, if you pay close attention to the scene, which I did on the third time through, it is NOT BANRI that asks Linda what the answer was! Watch it closely, his head droops right after she says "We're looking at the same sky. That hasn't changed at all." There is an audible "uhhh" sound and Linda looks over and says "Banri?" with a question in her voice, then he asks about her answer. Also, there is a distinct difference between Banri's normal speaking voice and the voice of Banri's Ghost. The Ghost is flatter, less animated, and the voice is in a lower register. My daughter pointed out to me that it is the Ghost voice that asks about her answer, not the Banri voice. (I am not letting her watch the whole thing, as I have to screen the tea-club girls out to protect her impressionable mind, but the funny parts outside of that, or the really well done parts, I let her watch...)

So, to sum up, Banri still doesn't know what Linda's answer would have been. The ghost was in control at that point!
I'm still not able to find the nuances in banri regarding that. Only the part where he asked linda if she wanted to go back to the past, and after he answered, he regained his consciousness.

However, after reading the 4th volume, I'm still wondering where he learned that his past self loved linda. Because when he finally told kouko who linda really is, he also told her that linda is his first love. Then after making up with her, he went to meet linda, and finally asked her answer. Then he decided to tear their photo, but unable to do so (his hand won't move, and his feeling for her still linger). Then linda helped him tear the photo apart. Then the scene changed to the past, where he made up with linda under the rain (the early part in anime eps eight)
Last edited by rpapo on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Avoiding a smiley where it wasn't intended.
zensunni
Elite Haruhiist

Post by zensunni »

amrul wrote:
zensunni wrote: Actually, if you pay close attention to the scene, which I did on the third time through, it is NOT BANRI that asks Linda what the answer was! Watch it closely, his head droops right after she says "We're looking at the same sky. That hasn't changed at all." There is an audible "uhhh" sound and Linda looks over and says "Banri?" with a question in her voice, then he asks about her answer. Also, there is a distinct difference between Banri's normal speaking voice and the voice of Banri's Ghost. The Ghost is flatter, less animated, and the voice is in a lower register. My daughter pointed out to me that it is the Ghost voice that asks about her answer, not the Banri voice. (I am not letting her watch the whole thing, as I have to screen the tea-club girls out to protect her impressionable mind, but the funny parts outside of that, or the really well done parts, I let her watch...)

I'm still not able to find the nuances in banri regarding that. Only the part where he asked linda if she wanted to go back to the past, and after he answered, he regained his consciousness.

However, after reading the 4th volume, I'm still wondering where he learned that his past self loved linda. Because when he finally told kouko who linda really is, he also told her that linda is his first love. Then after making up with her, he went to meet linda, and finally asked her answer. Then he decided to tear their photo, but unable to do so (his hand won't move, and his feeling for her still linger). Then linda helped him tear the photo apart. Then the scene changed to the past, where he made up with linda under the rain (the early part in anime eps eight)
If you watch it again, watch Banri's head just after the line, "We're looking at the same sky. That hasn't changed at all." and you will see that the stuff I detailed above happens. He makes a noise, Linda wonders what's up, then he asks about the answer.

She had told him earlier that he was waiting on the bridge for her answer to his confession, in the anime, so even if he hadn't figured it out himself, she told him about it when they were "cheating", according to Kouko's rules of dating, by talking with a member of the opposite sex behind closed doors. The earlier scene when she was pounding on the bathroom stall made it clear anyway, though at this point in the novel I am not sure that Banri knows that he actually confessed, he should have been able to figure it out. They are simplifying the story a bit for the anime, probably because the story is very subtle and it is easy to miss things. Heck, even with the simplifications, I missed when the ghost took over the first time.

However, knowing that it was the ghost asking that question, it means that Banri hasn't learned the answer yet.

I can't wait for this week's episode! I wish it wasn't on Thanksgiving day! I will probably have to wait until Friday night to watch it. [sigh]
Now blogging at Nabe!!.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

I feel sorry, but I had to withdraw my ass from the series, I am having a lot of problems IRL, and I only have some times during the day and on my work to lazy around, and it's not enough to carry this series, I'm very sorry.

Maybe I get back someday. :)
Call me Nurin!

l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

Eposode 9:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/761/761130/

The rest of volume 3 but instead of what happens at the end of chapter 4 they put the volume 3 prologue.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Nura rihan wrote:I feel sorry, but I had to withdraw my ass from the series, I am having a lot of problems IRL, and I only have some times during the day and on my work to lazy around, and it's not enough to carry this series, I'm very sorry.

Maybe I get back someday. :)
Thanks for the help anyway!
amrul
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by amrul »

after watching episode 9:
Spoiler! :
The pace feels a bit fast for me (except the flashback thing). Maybe because I've read the novel ahead, the rain scene feels too shallow somehow. I didn't remember there is a kiss, but after reviewing it again, it seems that I missed it before (thanks to the translated chapter 4).

They really put a lot of time for the chapter 3 prologue, considering the pace is quite normal and such. They even almost leave out the costume trial part. Linda's dialogue about not leaving Kouko is shifted to this episode, with addition of some old Banri's words :lol: *nice improvisation here

So that concludes volume 3. 3 volumes in 9 episodes, not bad. Just feels a bit shallow since the nature of the novel itself is quite deep.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Having just seen episode 9, I am amazed they could take the prologue from volume 3 and transform it into most of the episode. The other parts of the episode I suppose are from volume 3 as well, but I haven't translated nor read those parts yet. I will read chapter 4 after I am done with chapter 3. I believe I will transcribe the original Japanese just as I have every previous chapter, but will incorporate Larethian's translation into my working document rather than making my own.

Other than that, I agree with amrul in that the whole anime is very superficial in comparison to the novels, but that's what you get when you condense eight books of 230-300 pages apiece into two dozen twenty-minute episodes (after you subtract the opening and closing stuff).
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Manga chapter 27 ends almost precisely where anime episode 9 does, but does not introduce any of the flashback in the anime, nor the reference to the flashback. FWIW, the manga skipped entirely over the whole volume 3 prologue stuff.
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

rpapo wrote:Manga chapter 27 ends almost precisely where anime episode 9 does, but does not introduce any of the flashback in the anime, nor the reference to the flashback. FWIW, the manga skipped entirely over the whole volume 3 prologue stuff.
The chapter follows exactly the light novel. This time it doesn't skip anything from the light novel like a previous chapter. I mean that scene where they dance (or try to) wearing the traditional clothes. Also that scene where Linda saves Banri from the bullying is funnier (karate kid :))I was wondering if the final chapter of tankobon 5 would be 27, but because the release date is on January they might add chapter 28, no cliffhangers.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

l.kostas wrote:
rpapo wrote:Manga chapter 27 ends almost precisely where anime episode 9 does, but does not introduce any of the flashback in the anime, nor the reference to the flashback. FWIW, the manga skipped entirely over the whole volume 3 prologue stuff.
The chapter follows exactly the light novel. This time it doesn't skip anything from the light novel like a previous chapter. I mean that scene where they dance (or try to) wearing the traditional clothes. Also that scene where Linda saves Banri from the bullying is funnier (karate kid :))I was wondering if the final chapter of tankobon 5 would be 27, but because the release date is on January they might add chapter 28, no cliffhangers.
Not exactly. Most of the 'emotions' were lost. Kouko's anxiety built-up from Banri's POV was completely lost. Banri's exasperation at Kouko's outburst was not depicted as well. Among other things. This made the episode's 'feel' weak compared to the original chapter. Though it won't seem so at first glance since it compensated with the backstory in the prologue and the body 'switch' twist.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

larethian wrote:Not exactly. Most of the 'emotions' were lost. Kouko's anxiety built-up from Banri's POV was completely lost. Banri's exasperation at Kouko's outburst was not depicted as well. Among other things. This made the episode's 'feel' weak compared to the original chapter. Though it won't seem so at first glance since it compensated with the backstory in the prologue and the body 'switch' twist.
I think that comment applies throughout, to the entire light novel series in relationship to the manga and especially to the anime. The reasons for people's behaviors, and the depths of their emotions, are very much present in the light novel, but often fall by the wayside in the other media.

That said, that was a nice juxtaposition in the anime episode 9, where they explicitly compared what was said in the volume 3 prologue to what was said in volume 3 chapter 4 (or I suppose is there: I am resisting the temptation to read it yet).

Return to “English”