Madan no Ou to Vanadis

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Madan no Ou to Vanadis?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
No votes

Total votes: 1577

BakaGrappler
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Madan no Ou to Vanadis

Post by BakaGrappler »

What I am wondering is why is this project still "Prospective" in nature? Go read it. Go, and read it now. If the current version on there is a machine translation then just how much better will it be once a person gets involved?

I have spent a lot of time reading and watching manga, anime, and the Light Novels here on BT, and I have to say this is the one that I have loved most, next to To Aru Majutsu no Index. The main character's build up and personality is great, the setting is wonderful for feeding into the action, which is also great. It is really hard to describe large scale battles in such a way that one can see it, but you do. The writing is top notch, as is the writer's choices for characters, proceedings, and writing people that... well, feel like they are alive. Though there was one death that was sort of hammed up and made me roll my eyes.

I suppose the best thing I can say about this series is that it is great, and would continue to be without the fan service. And even that is often tasteful, believable (with a slight willingness to let the Japanese have their wardrobe malfunctions), and well done. I can very nearly call this series literature, but I'll need to read more than 5 volumes to be sure. Just a note, when I finished reading Shogun by James Clavell the first time, I closed the back cover, opened the front cover, and read it again. I get a similar feeling from this series and cannot help but feel it should be fully committed to. If I were a translator, I'd be on it like white on rice in a glass of milk. As it is, I'd love to become an Editor for it (since I love it's words instead of it's overly proportioned art).

So what will become of this series? And what is going to happen with Volume 6?
Psy0
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Psy0 »

When reading a novel I always look for style among the writings. This machine translation has kept to this style and flow which is impressive. Human translated work will often mess up the original author's style of writing and substitute their own understanding of the flow. In this respect human translated work is marginally better than the machine translation one used in this series unless the translator tries very hard to keep the original way of story telling.

Keep up the good work. If possible I would hope you can use this method for other teaser projects that haven't been updated since months to years ago. Say how about "Tsurugi no Joou to Rakuin no Ko"? Or "Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There" where the translators are asking for help and desperately need updating since 2011.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

The style is pretty consistent because it has been done by the same person.
*Facepalm* And, how will machine translation not mess up style, when it will mess up meaning at a pretty frequent rate... So, are you saying you have read its original style in its original medium(Japanese)? If so, all you have to do is vet 1 chapter, and this project will be upgraded. If not, no worries, the project will just stay in its teaser stage, it's not going to get deleted or something. New updates will be independent of the project status, it'll depend on EnigmaticAxiom in this case.

Only people who can read Japanese are qualified to comment whether the translation(accuracy/meaning-wise) is good quality or not.

Just to add on: Style is practically impossible to carry over to another language with all the linguistic and cultural differences between languages.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hiyono »

This thread is rife with misunderstanding. As stated before, and as KuroiHikari has again reminded us, the fluidity of the English phrasing is largely (completely?) unrelated to the accuracy of the translation itself. Claims that this project is undeservedly a "preview" based on this point are inherently fallacious.
The quality of the end product is not the sum of its visible parts. Anyone who's ever retold a story - and my guess is that includes all of us - knows that it's possible to do a perfectly good job of retelling a story, and yet one that is anything but a 1:1 replication of the original, and is, at best, Based on a True Story™.
Long story short, simply because the visible result of translation is worthy of praise does not mean that the act of translation itself was impeccably done.

*: I know Enigmatic will understand, but so that no one misunderstands, let me clarify by saying that I am not impugning his work. I honestly have no clue one way or another how accurate this translation is. I am simply establishing the faulty cause-effect relationship that seems to be firmly implanted in the minds of some.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Pfft, you know, even if you wrote a fanfiction in proper English and posted it as a 'translation' people will still be all over it.
EnigmaticAxiom
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Hiyono wrote:This thread is rife with misunderstanding. As stated before, and as KuroiHikari has again reminded us, the fluidity of the English phrasing is largely (completely?) unrelated to the accuracy of the translation itself. Claims that this project is undeservedly a "preview" based on this point are inherently fallacious.
The quality of the end product is not the sum of its visible parts. Anyone who's ever retold a story - and my guess is that includes all of us - knows that it's possible to do a perfectly good job of retelling a story, and yet one that is anything but a 1:1 replication of the original, and is, at best, Based on a True Story™.
Long story short, simply because the visible result of translation is worthy of praise does not mean that the act of translation itself was impeccably done.

*: I know Enigmatic will understand, but so that no one misunderstands, let me clarify by saying that I am not impugning his work. I honestly have no clue one way or another how accurate this translation is. I am simply establishing the faulty cause-effect relationship that seems to be firmly implanted in the minds of some.
That's rather accurately spoken. I agree with you, Hiyono. In fact, I've been trying to convey that fact myself (which is why I think of it as a conversion rather than a translation), but I'm not particularly eloquent, and I haven't visited the boards as much recently. The only guide I have for comparing accuracy is to compare the preview I posted for chapter 1 with florza's translation of chapter 1, and it is quite possible that my chapter 1 and florza's are artificially "close" due to how easy it is to interpret it.

Regardless, the main point of this post is that I agree with Hiyono and am in no way angry/annoyed/scared/sad/weirded out/gassy about what (s)he said :P
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Why aren't people happy with what they are getting? :evil: :evil:

You understand the story....fair enough....without any headaches....that's good....like the language/flow whatever....that's better

Accuracy....learn the language :roll:

You reveal the source of translation...and everything starts
BakaGrappler
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BakaGrappler »

Actually I am very happy with what I have. I'm just wondering about whether or not I'll be able to get more of it with Novel 6 released.

And I see Kira0802 is working on Translation Check. So I'm happy that there seems to be forward momentum on MOV. (Madan no Ou to Vanadis)
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

This is a short story I found for Madan, it only existed in Prologue now. I found the same translation in three different Chinese site, so it seem to be legit.

This is when Tigre was still a prisoner of war, and still lived at LaMentiz.

"Let me hide here! They found out about the theft (Of food)."

Ellen opened the door without knocking, and said it with a serious face. Sitting on the bed is a stunned Tigre. Even if you said no, this Vandris is not going to leave. He is after all a prisoner of war, even resistance is futile.

"Ok is ok, but there isn't anywhere to hide here."

"No worries, until this commotion die down."

Ellen looked around the room, and saw the Samisen on the wall.

"Samisen? Where did you get that?"

"Won it while gambling. The other guy had no money, so it became my collateral."

Gambling with the Ztched troops appear to be one of Tigre's few amusements.

"That is pretty cool. Play for me"

"That is unfortunate. I don't understand this thing's style, Can you teach it to me?"

Tigre had a bit of a evil thought when he answered, this girl is amazing with a sword, so she don't look like someone who is compatible with an instrument. But Ellen faintly smiled and took the Samisen.

"Ok, I will give you an example."

Taking the Samisen, Ellen sat next to Tigre, her fingertip lightly brushing the instrument.

In a instant, music came to life, and overflow from the instrument and her fingers.

"It is a instrument that even peasants use, so I handle it quite a few times too."

一边巧妙的用着拨片弹着弦,艾伦露出了愉快的笑容,小小的房间里响起了轻快的旋律。银色的头发像在跳舞似的轻微的跳动着。

从她那愉快的弹奏着的表情里可以看出,应该是十分喜欢的曲子吧。就像微微的重叠着音符,不断向上奔跑一样的感觉包围着泰格勒。真是一首单单听着就让人无法冷静下来的曲子啊。

不一会儿,曲子就弹奏完,艾伦最后一边用拨片留下了余韵,一边以一副昂然自得的笑脸看着泰格勒,慢了一拍子的泰格勒马上拍手称绝。

「真是太吃惊了,太厉害了,嗯,听着迷了」

被放手称赞的艾伦好像感到害羞似的脸红了,并且用手指弹着琴弦。

「大、大概就是这样子啦。——再弹一会儿、再给你弹一会儿也不是不可以哦?」

泰格勒笑着点了点头,艾伦重新拿好三弦琴。艾伦自己也是,刚刚弹奏完一曲显得十分斗志昂扬。回想一下,三弦琴什么的已经有两年多没有碰过了,也很久没有被人称赞过了。得意忘形起来也是没办法的事情啦。

然后——听到拥有白银色头发的战姬所弹奏的三弦琴的琴声的莉姆,没有花太多的时间就闯进了这间房子。
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Why is a quarter of it in Chinese?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by Hiyono »

Seemed a shame to leave it undone.
Cleverly employing the pick, Ellen revealed a delighted smile. The small room filled with a lively melody, her silver hair bobbing as it seemed to dance along.

As she joyfully played, it was evident from her expression how terribly fond she was of the tune. As the notes began to run together, a hurried feeling enveloped Tigre. Truly a song that disturbed one's calm with the slightest listen.

Not long thereafter, Ellen drew the music to a close, her pick hanging on the final note as she turned to Tigre with a contented smile. His slow clapping stopped short.

"What a surprise, truly amazing. Nn, how captivating."

At this open praise, Ellen blushed, idly plucking a string.

"Kind of, kind of like that. --You, you wouldn't mind my playing a little while longer, would you?"

Tigre smiled and nodded, and Ellen again lifted her samisen. Despite having just finished a song, Ellen seemed full of spirit. Thinking back, it'd already been a couple years since she'd laid hands on this instrument, and some time since anyone'd praised her like this. Finding her beside herself in joy like this is, of course, to be expected.

Afterwards, hearing the sound of the silver haired Vanadis playing her samisen, Lim wasted no time bursting into the room.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

Why are they playing a Japanese musical instrument in a European fantasy setting?
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

It's not like you don't see 'exotic, Eastern' instruments in Forgotten Realms or whatnot.
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

Kira0802 wrote:Why is a quarter of it in Chinese?
Because the client showed up and I got a presentation (AKA Dog and pony show) :roll:
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

zzhk wrote:Why are they playing a Japanese musical instrument in a European fantasy setting?
They also eat rice and use chopsticks (at least Tita make it), and go to war in the winter time. Also have a non-sense number for population (their capital has 1,000,000+ people), and drink sake.

Edit: I think the better translation might have been "lute"

Return to “English”