Maria-sama ga Miteru

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel series Translated?

Yes
98%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
1%
No (Please give a reason)
1%

Total votes: 284

Seki
Astral Realm

Maria-sama ga Miteru

Post by Seki »

I'm going to cop out and copy paste the synopsis from Wikipedia. Sorry, I think the series has been around long enough that I don't feel motivated to come up with an original synopsis O_O
Maria-sama ga Miteru's story revolves around the students of the Lillian Catholic school for girls, and can be considered character-driven, focusing on interactions between the characters rather than any sort of ongoing plot or goal to attain. At Lillian Girls' School, there is a tradition known as the sœur system (sœur being French for "sister"), in which a second, or third-year student, the grande sœur ("big sister"), will give her rosary to a junior student, the petite sœur ("little sister"), and promise to look after them and guide them.

When the story begins, Yumi Fukuzawa, a new first-year student admitted to Lillian, is praying in front of the Virgin Mary statue near the school entrance when she is suddenly approached by a cold second-year student named Sachiko Ogasawara who straightens Yumi's uniform ribbon. This seemingly simple act of kindness stays with Yumi the rest of the day, and she speaks of her meeting with Sachiko to her friends during class and lunch. After school is over, Yumi's classmate Tsutako Takeshima meets with Yumi to show her that she took a photograph of Yumi's meeting with Sachiko earlier that morning. Yumi asks if she can have the photo, but Tsutako says she will give her the snapshot under two conditions: one being that Tsutako can display it at the upcoming school festival, and two being that Yumi get Sachiko's permission to do so as well. Yumi agrees to this, which sets in motion a series of events involving the entire Yamayurikai — the student council of the school. A few weeks after first meeting Sachiko, Yumi accepts Sachiko's rosary and therefore agrees to become her petite sœur.

This officially inducts Yumi into the Yamayurikai where she assists them in school matters at the same level as the other two petite sœurs — Yoshino Shimazu, and Shimako Tōdō — who are the petite sœurs of Rei Hasekura, and Sei Satō respectively. Through her activities in the Yamayurikai, Yumi becomes closer to the other members and generally finds her experiences with the group to be enjoyable.
As far as listed at wiki, the novels are not licensed by a US publisher. Only the first three seasons of the anime (at http://maria-sama.rightstuf.com/)

This would be, of course, a Japanese -> English translation. Actually I've been working on it for the past two weeks or so, but I hadn't been particularly confident in showing a multitude of people. However, my annoyance at having to wrangle with HTML/formatting and the nagging of the primary friend I was showing it to has led me to post here in an effort to, well, make it easier on me, let other people read it, and get me moving (faster). I'm aware volume 1 has already been translated once, and I noticed like, volume 16 or something was translated here, but since I actually have an ulterior motive (well two, getting better at writing and getting better at translating), I'm not really paying that any heed. I guess I'll do a double post to satisfy the requirement of "verifying post."
Seki
Astral Realm

Re: Maria-sama ga Miteru by Oyuki Konno

Post by Seki »

Here is my post verifying that a willing translator (me) is at hand.
Matt122004
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Matt122004 »

If you can translate the first chapter, then this project I think will be FULLY approved. :)

Of course, this all up to Oni to do, so don't PM me about it. lol

-Matt :)
Currently Reading: Dantalian no Shoka 1 Image
Seki
Astral Realm

Post by Seki »

I've done up to 1.4, I think 1.5's the last "chapter" in "chapter 1." MSWord tells me I'm about 7500 words in ;) And yeah, I PM'd all the people listed in the guideline thingy, except for the second person, the forum couldn't find him O_O
Seki
Astral Realm

Post by Seki »

No interest at all from readers? :( That makes me sad.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Hello Seki, welcome to the Baka-Tsuki.

Since you are the translator, you have only to fulfil the requirements of publishing one complete translated chapter for this novel.

This does not include short prologues, you mentioned you have translated materials already, if so ,you can publish it on the wiki now, please remember to tag it as an unauthorised project so that it will appear on this page:

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... horisation

failure to do so, may result in your project being deleted without consultation.

To set up a project please refer to this:

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=1822

I wish you the best.

regards,

oni
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Seki
Astral Realm

Post by Seki »

EDIT:
Nevermind, I just figured it out, I'm slow!
Seki
Astral Realm

Post by Seki »

Alright, every section of chapter 1 has been transferred over~ :D
Kanzar
Astral Realm

Post by Kanzar »

Yes! I love this series~ It'll be great to see someone working on it again... Keep up the good work!
JokerD
Astral Realm

Post by JokerD »

Hey thanks for the translations, good work!!

Not sure if this is the place for this but I noticed something strange in the first novel:
Part 4: Anxious Wednesday, Friday of Battle; Section 4
The student visitors repeatedly refer to Yumi as Fukuzaya-san.
Isn't it the tradition of the school to refer to a student by their given names (Yumi -san or -chan in this case)
Maybe I'm nick picking but author error?

BTW, can't wait for more of the novels, keep up the good work!!
Seki
Astral Realm

Post by Seki »

Arr, sorry for the late response, I don't usually check the forum ;p Future inquiries are probably better off on the wiki discussion.

The narrator always calls Yumi "Yumi." It's close to third-person limited narrative, except the narrator doesn't seem WHOLLY distinct from Yumi. The narrative is somewhat convoluted in this way. That's why sometimes you see Yumi's thoughts that aren't in parenthesis. No, those are not mistakes.
Sukoshi
Astral Realm

Post by Sukoshi »

I was wondering if people knew that many of the Maria-sama Ga Miteru novels have already been translated. Books 2 (my very unclean translation, from unskilled times), 3, 12, and 15-19 have already been translated. 20 is in the works right now. Does Baka-Tsuki want to use any of this material? If the projects were merged, it would probably increase the appeal of the novel translations.
JackBassV
Reader

Post by JackBassV »

Sukoshi wrote:I was wondering if people knew that many of the Maria-sama Ga Miteru novels have already been translated. Books 2 (my very unclean translation, from unskilled times), 3, 12, and 15-19 have already been translated. 20 is in the works right now. Does Baka-Tsuki want to use any of this material? If the projects were merged, it would probably increase the appeal of the novel translations.
Personally, I find multiple translators frustrating.

This is because I like to read the books in order and if one translator is noticably quicker than another, you get the situation with ToraDora: Vol 4 chapter 5 is 50% translated, Vol 5 chapter 3 is 40% and Vol 6 is fully translated. And I just want to finish Vol 4!

On another note:
Anyone else seen season 4 yet? The end credits seem to be a bit of a spoiler, though to be honest I worked that paring out during season 3 (OVA).

BTW, I think this series (of novels) is up to 36 volumes now.

JBV^_^
If you can keep your head, while those around you are loosing theirs,
You have NO IDEA what the hell is going on!
quethiril
Project Translator

Post by quethiril »

JackBassV wrote:Personally, I find multiple translators frustrating.

This is because I like to read the books in order and if one translator is noticably quicker than another, you get the situation with ToraDora: Vol 4 chapter 5 is 50% translated, Vol 5 chapter 3 is 40% and Vol 6 is fully translated. And I just want to finish Vol 4!
But in the long run, multiple translators is still better. For example, when Vol. 4 is eventually finished, you will have Vols. 5 and 6 all ready and waiting for you to read. Whereas if there is only one translator, you wait for them to finish Vol. 4, then wait for them to finish Vol. 5, etc. etc.

I don't believe there are such things as "fast" translators and "slow" translators, even accounting for differences in ability. There are translators who happen to be less busy at a certain time and can translate more, and there are translators who are busier, or who lose interest, or whatever. So it's really best to have as many people as you can, as long as work can be divided in a sensible way.

Then again, as a translator I can also understand the desire to have consistent style and also to translate a continuous segment of a series, so sometimes it's hard to balance the desire for more help and the desire for total control.
JackBassV
Reader

Post by JackBassV »

Weirdly enough, I wasn't thinking about ability when I wrote slow/fast, but available time. So we are in total accord on that.

But, when you have multiple translators, it would be nice for (using the above example) the translator of Vol 4 to inform us that they're going to be missing/busy for a while - in the same way the Seki did.

Having two kids, I do have some patence (lol), but I like to be informed about delays. I suppose that comes from the time I was a programmer (dbms software design. Mostly Boring! fyi: dbms=Data Breaks Microsoft Systems.)

As you say, getting a balance is quite tricky.

JBV^_^
If you can keep your head, while those around you are loosing theirs,
You have NO IDEA what the hell is going on!

Return to “English”