Dantalian no Shoka

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:56 am

Yes
87%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
7%
No (Please give a reason)
7%

Total votes: 15

EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Dantalian no Shoka

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

So I was wondering if anyone is interested in seeing a translation of this series?

Writer: Gakuto Mikumo (Asura Cryin')
Illustrations: G-Yuusuke (Dies Irae)
Genre: Light dark fantasy

Summary
The young man named Hughy took over the old mansion of his deceased grand father as well as the book collection in there. His grand father was once a passionate book collector that went as far as to trade half of his land for a single, rare book. There was just one condition for Hughy: he had to also take over the "bibliotheca".
When he inspects the mansion he discovers a cellar which is full of highly piled up books and in the midst of them he meets a girl who's silently reading a book. The black-dressed girl named Dalian had a big lock hanging in front of her chest. She herself was the entrance to the "Bibliotheca of Dantalian" which contains the prohibited "phantom books".

The series consists of short stories, so every chapter is stand-alone and contains a full story. It's basically about Hughy and Dalian searching for phantom books. What I like about the series is, that most of the endings are dark. Although they may also be considered as "happy ends".

And I also brought with me two previews:

First part of chapter 1: Meditations de Gastronomie (Worship of Gourmet Food)
Spoiler! :
A deserted ground at dusk.

Powder snow was falling silently through the spaces between the tree branches.

In front of a newly built grave, a girl was standing alone.

A little girl wearing a mourning dress.

"Please... teach me..."

The girl cried out with a hoarse voice.

She was looking at a carriage

A brougham dyed in a deep black, stopped at the corner of the ground.

There was a single doll placed by the window. A beautiful porcelain doll dressed in a jet black dress.

The little girl kneed down on the withered lawn - as if to pray to this doll.

"Please, grant me knowledge. The ability to fulfil the desire of this man... please... somehow"

Her faintly quivering voice was blown away by the cold wind.

The moment the girl hanged her head in realization that her wish wouldn't be granted, the door of the carriage quietly opened.

A single book was presented to her through the door.

Besides the title written in relief, there was a plain crest drawn on the cover. The beautiful binding gave off the impression of a newly printed book and at the same time an impression of a centuries-old tome.

"The phantom book has chosen you."

A man's voice resounded from within the carriage.

The little girl raised her tear-stained face and received the book with wavering hands.

"I shall entrust you with this. May you be the owner of this phantom book until the day of the return date. However, remember one thing on any account."

"Remember... what...?"

The girl asked back frightened.

The man's answer was short. He replied in a hoarse voice that felt as if resounding from far away.

"There exist things in this world, that are not meant to be known to mankind..."

After the door was closed again, the carriage started to go away restfully. Disappearing in the dark of the night, leaving only back the sound of heavy hoofs.

A single girl in a mourning dress, carrying a book, remained.

The crimson shining moon was beholding this scene expressionlessly from high above the sky.

Episode 01: Meditations de Gastronomie

On a rough mountain way outside the gates of the capital, there was a car stopped.

It was an old car once used by the army. A common type of automobile that was selled cheaply to the citizens during the post-war years.

There was no roof to the dimmed silver body of the car, so the two seats were exposed directly to the exterior.

A rolled up blanket and already read books were placed carelessly on the leather-coated seats.

The driver was a young man wearing a leather frock coat.

His age could not be determined exactly, but probably he was about twenty years old. Still, a boyish impression remained on his face, covered by a hat.

He was curently crouching on the side of the car, tampering with the back wheel bearing.

Although his gentle features implied a good upbringing, his hands were strangely accustomed to the use of tools.

Movements like a soldier that has received a special training.

"I am bored."

A girl was seating on the load platform and spoke to the man.

Her age was no more than about 12, 13 years. Her white skin seemed almost transparent and was wrapped in a jet black dress.

Her hip-length hair was jet black as well and her eyes were colored in the deep black of the night.

The black dress was bulged with countless laces and frills. These outlines of her were enfolded by metallic protectors on her back hands and a rustic tasset. Her looks made one remember the ceremonial robes of medieval knights; an odd mixture that couldn't be called dress nor armor. And finally, in place of a ribbon, she was wearing an old, metallic chest.

A big lock, tied to her with silver chains.

"I am hungry. Just how long do you plan on making me wait? First, you did get lost and then you even made the car break down. Tell me Hughy, are you a good-for-nothing?"

Laying the book she was reading on her lap, she criticized the driver.

The young man called "Hughy" smiled sarcastically to her snappy tongue that didn't fit at all to her lovely appearance.

"Oh, I thought we got lost because you completely misread the map...?"

"Ugh..."

The girl groaned once and fell silent. She poutedly chewed on her lips while her cheeks were getting red and turned away.

My, my. The young man jus shrugged his shoulders while changing his gloves that had become dirty with oil.

"But we certainly are in an unpleasant situation. I'd like to repair the car, but there aren't enough parts. We'll have to go borrow some proper tools and material."

"...you are noticing this now?"

The girl breathed a dumbfounded sigh.

Their car was currently being stopped on a narrow land way that has only has been hardened.

Wherever one would turn around, there was just plain wasteland covered with weed. A blacksmith or harness shop? There was not a single building far and wide!

"Please do take a look around. Do you really think, you can obtain those in this region? You are about the only foolish driver all over the world, who does lose his way to a place like this in this cold season."

"Well, I admit your point about the season."

He looked up to the branches of the trees dryed by the coldness of the winter and then shook his head exaggeratedly.

"But Dalian... it seems we're not the only ones who took this route."

After having spoken, he narrowed his eyes to look in the distance.

A carriage was drawing closer to them while raising white dust.

It was a big two-horse cart.

To be more exact, a high-class carriage equipped with suspension, one usually only sees at the mansion of nobles. A middle-aged man wearing a expensive looking coat was holding the reins at the driver seat. In the drawing room, a young woman could be seen.

Putting the tools he was holding on the ground, the young driver, Hughy, stood up.

The black dressed girl called Dalian jumped down from the loading platform and quickly took position behind Hughy.

Her anxious state made one remember little animals that aren't accustomed to humans. Hiding hald of her head with the book she was hugging, she looked up carefully to the arriving carriage.

The young womand said something to the chauffeur, whereupon he drew the reins skillfully.

The carriage came slowly to a stop.

After she opened the door of the drawing room, the woman sticked out her head and smiled softly.

"Please forgive my rudneess, but are you having troubles?" the woman asked seriously. She was tall and was wearing a deep green cloak.

She didn't look like just a servant. More like the personal teacher of a noble child or the maid of a landlady.

Hughy smiled sociably.

"I guess so. We were just about losing our way when the car suddenly stopped..."

"You lost... your way?" she asked back bewildered.

Their car was being stopped at the center of a wastelend with clear view on the surroundings. Also there wasn't any fog nor was the road they took complicated or branched. It was a road, one could only get lost by making a big mistake.

"Err, well... it's a bit embarassing but you see, a lot happened underway..."

The young man smiled bitterly and sighted, while the black dressed girl behind him was puffing up her face.

"To tell the truth, we were searching for the mansion of Graham Atkinson... do you happend to know him?"

"The mansion of Mr. Graham...?" the woman asked surprised.

She exchanged glances with the chauffeur and then nervously straightened herself.

"Well then, could it be you're guests of tonight's dinner party...?"

"Yes. We were invited by Mr. Graham. My name is Hugh Anthony Disward - you may call me Hughy. And her name's Dalian."

"...Sir Disward? Don't tell me you're..."

For some reason she was taken aback and frowned.

Then she came to her senses again and bowed deeply with the words "Please forgive my rudeness!".

"I'm called Lesley and am a servant at Mr. Graham's mansion. If you'd like you could ride with this carriage to the mansion. And naturally, we will arrange workers for the repair of your car."

"Ah, that would be a big help. Just..."

Saying so, Hughy looked behind his back.

The shoulders of the black dressed girl hiding behind him were quivering faintly.

She is cautious about unknown adults and so took the attitude of a shy young kid.

Lesley frowned worriedly, but then seemed to be struck with an idea.

"Miss Dalian... Err, to tell the truth there are some snacks inside the carriage..."

Dalian reacted with a twitch on the sound of "snacks".

The black dressed girl then peeked out behind Hughy and looked up to Lesley.

"Snacks... what sort of?"

She asked lastly with a voice one could barely hear.

Lesley smiled relieved.

"Hm, let's see. Nothing too exceptional, but there's fried bread and..."

She started to count with her fingers but Dalian answered instantly even before Lesley could finish. "We ride...", while tugging at Hughy's sleeves.

"My, my" Hughy sighted faintly.

The loading platform was loaded with piled up ingredients. Vegetables and fruits, fish and meat as well as manufactured food like cheese. All of it was clearly high class and fresh.

"Were you just returning from shopping? The ingredients for tonight's dinner party, I suppose?"

Hughy was lightly surprised after glancing into the loading platform and said so.

"No" Lesley shook her head.

"The pre-cooking for the dinner party is already done. What you're seeing there are the ingredients for lord's dinner tonight."

"All this for Mr. Graham alone? But he certainly didn't have a family, I heard..."

"Yes, all of it will be presented to the lord. Stocking goods is strictly prohibited, since what's rounding out the quality of the cooking is the freshness and the quality of the ingredients. In the past, just because slightly injured ingredients were used, the head cook got fired on that day.

"Aah..."

Hughy smiled a bit amazed.

"Mr. Graham seems to be a gourmet as I've heard in the rumours. Are you working in the kitchen of his mansion?"

"Yes...... that's about right. I'm entrusted with work like the one of a kitchen maid."

Lesley answered with an ambiguous smile.

Kitchen maids are people working under the head cook. Or in other words cooks following his example. The fact, that she's entrusted with something important like purchasing the ingredients means that she's remarkable even amongst the kitchen maids.

"I see. Quite a big deal, I guess. After all, the cuisine of Mr. Graham's mansion is famous in the capital. The original cooking style he developed is introduced in the newspaper from time to time and I've heard that the invitations to the head cook coming from the representatives of the House of Lords or wealthy people on the mainland, aren't stopping."

"I've heard such rumours as well."

She shook her head with a serious expression.

"But as long the lord is alive, it's absolutely unthinkable that the chief cook would ever ride on such an offer. That is because the only purpose in life the chief cook has, is to let the lord savor the most delicious cuisine."

"...is the treatment at Graham's that good?"

Hughy asked back amused.

Thereupon Lesley thought about it for a moment and said:

"Of course, Mr. Graham is treating the kitchen staff very well. But much more than this, it's because the kitchen at his mansion is the perfect environment for cooks. They may freely use the best and the rarest ingredients, and also all the other ingredients are of best quality and freshness. Furthermore, the crops on this land are of good quality, as well and there's a wealthy forest."

"Forest?"

"Yes. You can hunt in the nearby forest. There are pheasants, rabbits or even wild boars..."

"Aah... that's the point. I see."

Hughy muttered looking at the thick forest expanding before the carriage.

"Could it be that this is also the reason, why Mr. Graham is living on the countryside rather than the capital...?"

"Of course. 'To succeed in making the best cooking, one must use the best ingredients.' is the favorite phrase of Mr. Graham."

"...I see"

Hughy grumbled as if to brood about it

In the meanwhile, the black dressed girl has been sitting all the time beside Hughy and had her cheeks innocently stuffed with the fried bread that was wrapped up in oil paper. From time to time she also licked her fingers that were smeared with sugar and looked entranced everytime she did so.

"You seem to like, don't you, Dalian?"

"...correct."

After having answered with a single word, Dalian bit again into the bread. Her cautious attitude against Lesley at first seemed like a lie.

Lesley watched her warmly while saying.

"If it's according your taste then that's above all else."

She narrowed her eyes pleasantly.

"As soon we arrive at the mansion I can provide you with something finer, but for now that's all we have. Those are the remains of the goods we presented an orphonage."

"Presents?"

Hughy asked back doubtfully.

"Yes... I always send them the remaining breads of everyday's breakfast when I go purchasing goods. It's a pleasure to watch the children happily eat the food I made."

"So, the person that baked this was...?"

"I baked it. You see... I lost my parents early on and made the experience of being constantly hungry."

The expression that flashed over Lesleys face was a bit strange. It was an unclear expression that looked sad, but smiled at the same time.

Special chapter 1: Talisman of Despot (The Book of Dictators) <- full
Spoiler! :
He was a serious student.

Although still young, he was grieving over the future of his country more earnestly than everyone else.

But the more he thought earnestly, the darker and hopeless appeared the future of his country to him.

The resources were spare in his country and the daily life was hard to overcome.

The cities were crowded with adults that failed getting a job and the criminal rate was constantly growing.

Bordering countries were threatening his country with their military strength because of the land.

In the end he lost all hope and began to live a vapid, ephemeral life.

Then one day he came across a little girl.

She has a beautiful appearance.

Faint green hairs similar to emerald.

White skin similar to marbles, almost translucent.

Countless frills and laces were stuffed into her deep crimson colored dress, similar to the color of blood. Out of the gaps between them, gauntlets as well as a breast plate could be seen.

The right eye of the girl was colored in the same emerald-green as her hair, while her left eye was covered by a metal eye patch shimmering in dark gray.

There was a big keyhole in the midst of her eye patch, that resembled an old lock---

"It might be too late for this country, huh?" the man said with a tired voice to her.

The girl asked back, why he would think that.

"You see, the politicians are incompetent and the bureaucracy is on the ladderway, corroded by corruption and bribery. The people are not thinking of anything else than to stand in the way of each other. I'm telling you, there's no hope for this country, as long those guys are running it!"

He sorrowfully answered with those words.

What an idiocy!, the girl said.

"If you say the current rulers are incompetent, then just try running the country yourself."

The man was taken aback and asked her:

"Are you telling me to become a politican?"

"Right! You're thinking more earnestly about the future of this country than anyone else, aren't you? Then you're supposed to rule it."

After a short consideration, he shook his head weakly.

"That won't work. Even if I'd try to improve the politics on my own, another politician would get in my way. I'm sure."

What an idiocy!, the girl laughed.

"Then just become the most powerful politician throughout the country! After that just capture and kill anyone hostile to you."

The man was taken aback and asked:

"Are you telling me to become a dictator?"

"Right! All other politicians are incompetent and corrupted, aren't they? Then you're supposed to rule this country on your own."

After a short consideration, he shook his head weakly.

"That won't work. Even if I'd try to rule this country on my own, another politician would assassinate me. I'm sure."

The girl, however, showed a brilliant smile.

"Oh no, it will work. It will. You were chosen by this phantom book after all."

She presented to him a book.

It was an old book written in the language of a country that was destroyed ages ago.

The man accepted the book and looked at it with a wondering face.

The girl explained to him:

"It's a book made for dictators. As long you're conforming to what's written in it, nobody will be able to injure you."

"I see. That sure is splendid."

He believed in what she had said.

And then those two went their own ways.

A few years later, a young politician appeared in this country.

He was a politician that was thinking more earnestly about the future of his country than anyone else.

In order to gain resources, he invaded other countries and gave wealth to the people.

He made the jobless adults join the army and punished all criminals without exception with the death penalty.

Before other countries could threaten his country, he started a war against them.

His politics was supported by the citizens with wild enthusiasm. The citizens that weren't supporting his politics were captured without mercy and then sent to prison.

He was praised by his comrades in the government. The politicians that didn't praise him were captured without mercy and then sent into exile to a foreign country.

And so he had become an imposing dictator.

But for some reason he was holding book in his hands all the time.

There were many enemies to the dictator.

Politicians that were bereft their social status by him. The noble families of the people executed by him. The people that lost their families or friends due to the wars he started. And not forgetting the citizens of the other countries, that were despising his country---

The ones hostile to him became rebels and tried to take his life in various ways.

They tried to mix poison into his food or planned a bomb attack on him. Sometimes they acted as ally for a while just to assissinate him using a blade, bow or gun. There even were some people that tried to form a rebel army or ones that instructed a famous spellcaster to curse him.

However, every attempt proved to be a failure.

No matter how skilled the assassin, the dictator wasn't even wounded.

His enemies were captured one after the other and then either sent into exile to a foreign country or publicly executed on a plaza. The number of rebels oppositing him was on a constant decline.

Again some years passed, until the dictator finally was able to capture the last rebel.

He decided for a public execution of the rebel as warning to the citizens.

And so he announced to all the pople gathered at the wide plaza.

That was the last rebel, and no one would ever oppose him anymore.

"And that's why,

I'm no longer a dictator, but the true king of this country." he continued.

Moments later, a guard stationed at the plaza suddenly shot him with a gun.

The guard wasn't a citizen of his land, but an assassin from a foreign country that mixed up with the crowd.

As one could think, the shot man was holding an old book.

But the book didn't protect him, who stopped being a dictator, anymore.

The man who once was a dictator was shot by an assassin and died.

The people that heared this message told each other:

"This incompetent politician finally bit the dust. Now this country is alright."

A little girl wearing a dress colored in deep crimson laughed amused on hearing this.

What an idiocy!, the girl laughed.

Finally she got going and disappeared in the crowd of people who all had hope written on their faces.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Re: Dantalian no Shoka (Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian)

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Sorry, i am not sure if i do get you...

Are you volunteering to translate the series? Or are you asking for someone to translate it?

From your post, I assume it is the first? If so, B-T is glad to have more translations on the site. So the answer is probably a "YES"
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote: Are you volunteering to translate the series? Or are you asking for someone to translate it?
Yes, but only if people are interested in reading more of it. ;)
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote: Are you volunteering to translate the series? Or are you asking for someone to translate it?
If you don't mind, how about making them into teasers then get feedbacks with a poll?

But i must warn you, most people would just put a "Yes, i want this translated" without thinking...

So just tell us your decision once you made up your mind. More fresh blood is always welcome!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:
Uh, that could be a problem to generate enough feedback (to let it seem worthy), I think, since not much wikireaders visit the forums, too as it seems - since we dont get as much feedback (even for the popular series) as one would anticipate with the daily visit count some series do get...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Darklor wrote: Uh, that could be a problem to generate enough feedback (to let it seem worthy), I think, since not much wikireaders visit the forums, too as it seems - since we dont get as much feedback (even for the popular series) as one would anticipate with the daily visit count some series do get...
ShadowZeroHeart wrote: But i must warn you, most people would just put a "Yes, i want this translated" without thinking...
Ah no worries, no worries. I'm aware of that.
Basically, if someone can confirm me that the text is "readable", then I''d be willing to do the project.

Well, but yeah, I guess starting with a teaser wouldn't be a bad idea. :D
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:.....
eh?

so its a....dark novel?

noooooo......

only light novels here!

:roll: :P
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

Not funny enough Oni! Go work on your humour! /points

On another note, I'll read this if it has a romantic aspect to the plot o_O
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
誰にも知られることなく、散っていく命がありました。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
明日さえも見えない絶望の中で、今日を生きる権利すら奪われた戦士たち。
守るべき祖国から捨てられ、戦争の大義も、勝利の栄光も、自らの名前さえも奪われた戦士たち。
そして、理想を追い求め、自らの手を血に染める戦士たち。
戦場という絶望の中で、彼らが見た希望とは何だったのでしょうか?
そして、彼らが守り抜いたものとは、何だったでしょうか?
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

dragonst wrote:Not funny enough Oni! Go work on your humour! /points

meh. you have no humour..... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

It's unhealthy to run away from reality you know, you might end up becoming a yandere o_O
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

onizuka-gto wrote:
EusthEnoptEron wrote:.....
only light novels here!

:roll: :P
That's why I've written light dark fantasy. :D

Actually, there is a romance story!

It ends in suicide, though.

But concerning a Dantalian x Hugh coupling... well, there is one scene I can think of, which had a romantic aspect. But I doubt there will be much more of it. Rather I'd welcome a bit of romance between Hugh and his cowgirl childhood friend. ;]
yandere
There was one, too. :D

*cough*
Anyway, the stories are actually quite funny at times. At least I've learned quite a lot of new (four letter?) words thanks to Dalian's cursing combos
I think I'll first create a teaser and translate a few chapters on there, before considering a full-fledged project. But first I've got to write this darn essay I've postponed until the last day. ;p
dragonst
Project Translator

Post by dragonst »

Hmm, romance and suicides, yanderes and cowgirls......This is turning out to be more than what I bargained for /sweats

But I'll still read it, since its not often that we get new projects :)
彼らの任務は一つ。
友軍のために死ぬこと。
決して語られることのない戦いがありました。
死か、それとも解放か?
これは、歴史を変えた名もなき戦士たちの物語。

-戦場のヴァルキュリア3-
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So how did it work out with your essay? - So will your teaser project be up soon? Its not so that I am so much interested to read Dantalian (Since I am not a big short story fan and I am also not very fond of sad endings and I also prefer other settings), but I like to see another teaser project up (which maybe will also end as a full project) . ;) I hope you'll get the feedback you need and wish for.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Darklor wrote:So how did it work out with your essay?
I didn't... sleep... very much. *cough*
Darklor wrote: So will your teaser project be up soon?
Probably when I finished part 2 of chapter 1. Or when I got through the whole chapter. Currently going at a pace of at least 2p/day.
Darklor wrote:Since I am not a big short story fan and I am also not very fond of sad endings
I don't like short stories either. But I guess Dantalian just meets my taste.
Ah, and I wouldn't call the endings "sad". More, like, "dark with a funny touch"?
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Alright, I've created a teaser. Here
Everything alright like this? Would it be best to make this the feedback thread or better create a new one?

Return to “English”