Dantalian no Shoka

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:56 am

Yes
87%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
7%
No (Please give a reason)
7%

Total votes: 15

Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Dantalian no Shoka (Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian)

Post by Kadi »

Actually, I got what you wanted to say all right. All I wanted to say is that it's like a stylistic device, therefore probably intentional. Compare it to the lines at the beginning of each and every volume of MariMite (Maria-sama ga miteru), which haven't changed (much?) over the course of 30-something volumes. The device just didn't have its intentioned effect on you, for reasons we apparently both agree on.

(Why do I even argue here, when be both think that there's nothing to argue about?)
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

hmm, for LNs I've read, I've always felt that repeated descriptions and usage of same words are pretty normal unless the novel is of a heavily narrated type.
kuroi_shinigami
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

Kadi wrote:Actually, I got what you wanted to say all right. All I wanted to say is that it's like a stylistic device, therefore probably intentional. Compare it to the lines at the beginning of each and every volume of MariMite (Maria-sama ga miteru), which haven't changed (much?) over the course of 30-something volumes. The device just didn't have its intentioned effect on you, for reasons we apparently both agree on.

(Why do I even argue here, when be both think that there's nothing to argue about?)
You're right. Now that I read again, it was kind of a strange argument since both side has the same view point :lol: I guess I'm just excited about this series and want to talk about this with someone else by complaining even if it's just something very minor :lol:
larethian wrote:hmm, for LNs I've read, I've always felt that repeated descriptions and usage of same words are pretty normal unless the novel is of a heavily narrated type.
Well, that might be quite true, but normal novel usually only describe a thing once in a volume, but due to its short story format, in Dantalian no Shoka, some description will be repeated in every chapter(that's 2 to 3 descriptions in a volume), although the chapters are stand alone to begin with, with the same exact wording, hence the strange feeling of "I think I already read this before" :lol: But like I said, it's actually very minor and after a few volume, I'm just left with the thought of "ah, the same exact sentence. Okay, let's move on because the story is reaching its climax and I can't wait to finish it" :lol:
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

if you want Teh Ping to work on this series, poll here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4553
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Got another question for eusth-senpai. I read from another forum that the author of dantalian actually wants to end the series on vol 8 and he refuse to write vol 9 even if his editor want him to continue the series. Is there any indication of some sort closure on vol 8 that indicates this is where the author wants to end the story?

Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

I haven't even started reading the series, but the author got my respect.

There are so many manga artists and light novel authors who are pressured to drag on their series forever just because the sales figures look good on the publishers' financial reports. It is certainly not easy to stand up and give a finger to the editorial department, as goodwill and thereby chances for future cooperation may be harmed.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

None that I know of. He even wrote he'd continue writing after serialization has ended (vol8 covered the last stories from the sneaker).

I'll take a look at 2ch, but if it's true, I feel about it like Doraneko. Hats off.

Okay, it's true. He actually wanted to end it with vol7 (final episode in there), but wrote some more stories for the sneaker due to some circumstances. I think DnS was more of a breather for him anyway.
kuroi_shinigami
Favourite Light Novel:

Well, http://gact.info/archives/325.html is the blog entry from the author himself explaining about the cancellation of vol 9. About the final chapter in vol 7, isn't that chapter
Spoiler! :
a flashback of young Huey's meeting with Dalian?(actually between Antoinette and Oriental Dalian :P)
, so it's not exactly a closure to the story? Well, I only glance through it though so I might be wrong. I plan to read it thoroughly after I finish vol 6 :lol: :lol:

EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Well, the last chapter of vol7 would have been a somewhat good closure. Not that there really is a story to close to begin with, but I would have liked to get more details concerning Hal's past. Actually, vol8 even brought up the gensho thief again, making it an excellently bad point to end the series at. :D
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

Is the second volume translated at all? It's missing from the wiki page so I'm hoping that it's translated but somebody just accidentally removed it (one can dream right?)
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

I haven't translated anything from volume 2, hence there was no need to add volume 2 to the wiki page.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:I haven't translated anything from volume 2, hence there was no need to add volume 2 to the wiki page.
Ahh, shame, Volume one was pretty good... (Dalian is adorable)
hmmmm
Astral Realm

Post by hmmmm »

so this novel was pick up for one volume then dropped what a waste but who am i to criticize them cuz :cry: i just your lowly light novel reader
grrarr
Kyonist

Post by grrarr »

hmmmm wrote:so this novel was pick up for one volume then dropped what a waste but who am i to criticize them cuz :cry: i just your lowly light novel reader
Well, the translator for this project is actually well known for finishing what he starts (w/great speed and quality, might I add) - Gekkou, HakoMari, etc, so it seems in rather poor form to criticize him for doing so.

Especially given that
a)the later volumes of Dantalian apparently stayed rather episodic/didn't come to a very satisfactory end
b)often, people kickstart a volume in order to get interest going, and then other ppl pick up the slack - this has happened many a time before, and some people disclose upfront that they're doing so (don't think EEE was doing so in this case, but pointing out that there are still generic benefits even if volumes get dropped)
c)translators are generally doing a huge volunteer favor anyway...

re: (b) the fairly low response rate (see in-thread poll #'s and compare to some other thread #s) might have something to do w/no one else taking it up...
Akirina
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Shounen Onmyouji, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Rental Magica

Post by Akirina »

Does anyone know if this book has a chinese title? I would consider taking this up if there are chinese translations...
Sing the praise of heroes, curse the names of the betrayers...
This is the way how history is written.

Return to “English”