Golden Time

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Golden Time ?

It was good! Please do more!
94%
It was interesting.
5%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
1%

Total votes: 876

rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Golden Time

Post by rpapo »

A different publisher. That explains the radically different art style for the cover. I wonder if this is one-shot change of publisher, a permanent one, or the start of a semi-independent career for Takemiya?
Gaim214
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gaim214 »

A possible new series by Takamiya, or at least a new LN? Definitely something I'm looking forward to learning more about :D .

Only disappointing aspect of this is that it means we might not get a final spinoff novel for Golden Time :( .
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Gaim214 wrote:A possible new series by Takamiya, or at least a new LN? Definitely something I'm looking forward to learning more about :D .

Only disappointing aspect of this is that it means we might not get a final spinoff novel for Golden Time :( .
Yes. The current signs (new publisher for next book, an apparent hiatus on Evergreen) tell me that Takemiya has had a falling out with Dengeki Bunko. I can only speculate as to the cause, though I suspect that she wanted to take her career in a different direction from what Dengeki Bunko wanted her to take.

For this reason, though I know there is more source material to build yet another Golden Time spinoff volume, I begin to doubt it will ever see the light of day.

FWIW, I have the new book in my hands. The English subtitle is "Listen to the Soundtrack of the Movie Which I Don't Know", and the Japanese title "知らない映画のサントラを聴く". The book is 365 pages long, has no color plates, and in fact the only illustrations are half-page items at the start of each chapter. The book does not really have a "light novel" air to it, apart from than the size and cover art. There is no author's postscript, and only a foot note on the very last page 「本書は新潮文庫のために書き下ろされた。」"This book was written for the New Tide Library."

Looking backwards from the end of the book, on page 356, right after a text break, I find 「一年が過ぎた。」"One year passed." At a guess, I would say it is the lead-in to an epilogue. Or in other words, this novel stands alone.

Beyond that, I have no intention of translating any of it, as my plate is quite full for the next several years.

Feel free to correct my probably mis-understanding of the book. To get an accurate picture, I would have to try and actually read it. My Japanese is not yet to where I can just pick up a book and read it just to read it. Translation is a lot of work.
Gaim214
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gaim214 »

rpapo wrote:
Gaim214 wrote:A possible new series by Takamiya, or at least a new LN? Definitely something I'm looking forward to learning more about :D .

Yes. The current signs (new publisher for next book, an apparent hiatus on Evergreen) tell me that Takemiya has had a falling out with Dengeki Bunko. I can only speculate as to the cause, though I suspect that she wanted to take her career in a different direction from what Dengeki Bunko wanted her to take.

For this reason, though I know there is more source material to build yet another Golden Time spinoff volume, I begin to doubt it will ever see the light of day.
Huh. Maybe it's also related to how she possibly had to rush the finale of Golden TIme to coincide with the end of the anime, and how that actually hurt the book instead of supporting it like in the case of Toradora? I'm also wondering if Dengeki Bunko wanted her to move on immediately to an new series after Golden Time and that's why the series ended at volume 8?
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Gaim214 wrote:Huh. Maybe it's also related to how she possibly had to rush the finale of Golden TIme to coincide with the end of the anime, and how that actually hurt the book instead of supporting it like in the case of Toradora? I'm also wondering if Dengeki Bunko wanted her to move on immediately to an new series after Golden Time and that's why the series ended at volume 8?
Well, we shall see when her next book comes out. We have considerable reason to believe (now) that this new book of hers was part of a promotion for the 100th anniversary of a particular well regarded publisher in Japan. So it may be a special case. That publisher may be affiliated with Dengeki Bunko, but if that is true, I have seen no trace of this on the net.
l.kostas
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

Volume 4 epub, mobi and pdf are available:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=4838&p=177511
elpsychris
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elpsychris »

:D Althought I've watched the anime so many times but I still found the LN and your works are very interesting to read, so... anw, just want you guys to know that I'm always looking forward seeing your next update, thanks you.
Gaim214
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gaim214 »

Hey, I was perusing MyAnime.net and was looking at Kouko's bio, which had all this information listed:
Birthday: July 7
Height: 165cm
Weight: 53.5kg
Size: 84 - 55 - 86
Does anybody have any idea whether this data is listed in any of the books released so far, or in any official release, like maybe one of the Gaiden novels or the Biographies novel? Could it all be faked by someone who edited her page? I noticed Linda and Chinami didn't have any information like this, so I'm a little suspicious. And given she was a college student, I'd imagine Kouko was 18 at the start of the series at least.

But it all seems a little too detailed for something someone just came up with....so I'm not sure. Physical stats like this for Kouko is stuff I've been really wanting to know, so a part of me wants to believe it.

Also, continued thanks to rpapo for your continued translations of Golden Time! I always look forward to reading a new translated bit.

Return to “English”