Golden Time

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Golden Time ?

It was good! Please do more!
94%
It was interesting.
5%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
1%

Total votes: 876

rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Golden Time

Post by rpapo »

Well, from where I sit, the stuff I am translating right now, the start of volume 4, portrays Banri as having seen the incident where Linda said she didn't like him as a really vivid dream.

Apart from that, I would agree with your assertion that he doesn't remember anything from before at all. The way he acted in his class reunion supports that notion quite strongly.
amrul
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by amrul »

rpapo wrote:Well, from where I sit, the stuff I am translating right now, the start of volume 4, portrays Banri as having seen the incident where Linda said she didn't like him as a really vivid dream.
I'd say the flashbacks in the prologues (and epilogue of vol 4) such as the thing with her brother and linda's confession to the club juniors are more of a back-story sort of thing telling his past to the readers, without actually showing it were parts of banri's dream. The vivid dream part is the post-accident events, where he escaped from the hospital ward and went into the woods, where he eventually encounter linda that he didn't recognized at all.

what piqued my interest is the concept thrown in by the posters in the other forum, which is about the whole thing is a narration by banri about his past and such. With my coarse understanding of the events going on in the novel, it's a bit difficult to grasp the deepness of the story. That's why I supplement the novel reading with the manga, which unfortunately take years to complete. The anime removes the depth almost completely that I can only confirm the main points of the story.
l.kostas
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Episode 19: And the plot gets thicker.

Banri's mother gives him a ring to give his girlfriend. A starving Kouko tries to make Banri hers. Mitsuo tries to pursue Linda, which makes Linda mad at Banri, which makes Chinami suspect Banri of cheating with Linda . . . and throughout it all, Banri's reluctance to open up with everybody about his past (normal Japanese reserve, plus?) allows everybody to think what they want.

And was Linda really joking in her comment about Banri's mother's ring? Does Linda really like Banri that way, or is she truly attracted by Mitsuo?

And Chinami is behaving strangely with regards to Mitsuo too. Notice her attitude when the whole gang is in the diner together.

Things are getting really complicated . . . as if they weren't already. And the book is surely even more detailed and complicated.
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

amrul
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by amrul »

Episode 20: either I was sleepy when reading the 3rd chapter of the vol 7 novel or something else, I don't really remember reading about nana-senpai and the tea club duo appearing in this part of the story. But the second half is exactly what I expected.

It seems that the memory return scene was way simplified than what's described in the novel (I even imagined that he actually saw something else).

So next week is the conclusion of the seventh book, with titles the same as the book :lol:

I think I better hide myself from the anime and forums for a while before I get my hands on the eighth book :lol:
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

amrul wrote:So next week is the conclusion of the seventh book, with titles the same as the book :lol:

I think I better hide myself from the anime and forums for a while before I get my hands on the eighth book :lol:
If there wasn't a Christmas break this week's episode would be the one adapting the first part of volume 8.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Episode 20: And the plot gets thicker. Banri's Ghost makes another move, though differently this time, more like a dual personality thing. But Banri's new self came out on top this time, gradually, remembering what had just happened. But what an inconvenient time to have such a thing happen...

Interesting. The flashback scene at the beginning of volume 4 is told as if it were back-story, until at the very end it transitions to the present in such a way as to make it plain to the present Banri that it was a flashback. During the flashback, the dreaming/flashing-back Banri is totally unconscious of the present Banri. Afterwards, he remembers the emotional state, though not the details. This scene is just like that, except that it happened while he was fully awake. And when he came back from his flashback, he remembered it fully in his present self.

Now if all this happened just before the end of volume 7, we can begin to imagine how Kouko might think she has to leave for a while, or permanently. Hopefully we get some insight into her thoughts in the next few episodes.
amrul
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by amrul »

l.kostas wrote:
amrul wrote:So next week is the conclusion of the seventh book, with titles the same as the book :lol:

If there wasn't a Christmas break this week's episode would be the one adapting the first part of volume 8.
Yeah they should add 2 more episodes, but so far the pacing is not so bad, except at the beginning. But since the last volume gets 3 episodes I guess the length of the part is roughly the same as volume 7.

@rpapo

The flashback occurred once more, right when he was with chinami patching things up with her. As usual, he ran away (again) but this time caught by the boys. Then he decided to tell everyone through video recording. At the end, ge ia fully resolved to give the ring to kouko, only to find her deciding to disappear from him. With his state of mind like that, getting depressed is the highest possibility. So I think it's better to prepare for the worst :p
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I am going to guess there are trolls in the Japanese media, as somebody has been reporting that the last volume has Banri winding up with Linda, and Kouko off to Paris.

That just doesn't sound right. I have no idea how reputable this "media report" is, nor whether they have things like National Enquirer (a tabloid) over there.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

rpapo wrote:That just doesn't sound right. I have no idea how reputable this "media report" is, nor whether they have things like National Enquirer (a tabloid) over there.
They have things like tabloids over there, but honestly that sounds more like a troll that comes off 2ch. :P
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

There is this information at amazon.jp: ページ数 408 ページ

This volume will have 408 pages and the release date is March 8.
Last edited by l.kostas on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

l.kostas wrote:There is this information at amazon.jp: ページ数:
408 ページ

That's pretty big. But then again, there's a lot to resolve in that volume. Once I have it in my hands next week, I will attempt to quickly translate the last several pages so we can know the final outcome.
amrul
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by amrul »

denormative wrote:
rpapo wrote:That just doesn't sound right. I have no idea how reputable this "media report" is, nor whether they have things like National Enquirer (a tabloid) over there.
They have things like tabloids over there, but honestly that sounds more like a troll that comes off 2ch. :P
almost forgot about that message board :lol:

that's quite possible for the source of troll in the other forum
l.kostas wrote:There is this information at amazon.jp: ページ数:
408 ページ

Well that's almost twice as much as the 7th volume. That's going to take more than a week finishing them all. I guess I'll be off for a while, and refrain myself from watching the last 3 eps :lol:
hopefully everything is resolved once and for all...

hopefully they released the digital book on the same release date, as that the only option for me to get my hands on the book now :roll:
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

amrul wrote:hopefully they released the digital book on the same release date, as that the only option for me to get my hands on the book now :roll:
Why? I just ordered from Amazon JP myself...

Return to “English”