Golden Time

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Golden Time ?

It was good! Please do more!
94%
It was interesting.
5%
Not as good as I thought.
1%
Boring. Not touching it again.
1%

Total votes: 876

l.kostas
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Golden Time

Post by l.kostas »

They added the summary of the last episode at the official anime site:
http://golden-time.jp/story/
学祭が終わり、過去の自分に完全に戻ってしまった万里は大学を休学し田舎に帰っていた。
自分が東京で大学生活を過ごした事実があることを知りつつも、はっきり思い出せることは何もなかった。
その年の大晦日、帰省したリンダと実家で過ごしていた万里のもとへ突然の来客が。
玄関を開けると、そこには見知らぬ女性の姿があって…。
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by rpapo »

To which I will add my own summary in plain English.

Episode 24: Nice ending. They also changed it slightly from the books.

The final encounter between Banri and his Ghost was interesting. How in the world could it be that Linda could see him, or was that a Ghost Linda we were seeing? That's almost like the author was dipping into the supernatural again, after spending most of the series making it more and more clear that Banri's Ghost existed only in Banri's head.

In a sense, they gave a fuller ending in the anime than what I saw in the last book. It was nice to see Linda warming to Mitsuo finally, something we didn't get to see in the book. The anime ends precisely a year after the start, just as in the books. But the context is fuller now: Banri, Linda and Kouko are all helping out with recruiting the new freshmen for Omaken.

It was good to see my translation of those last eight pages was mostly right. But the anime changed things too: they showed Banri and Kouko with his mother in his house, whereas the original Japanese in the book made it quite clear that it was Kouko's father who slipped out without telling Kouko he was going to pick up Banri and bring him over to the Kaga house.
zensunni
Elite Haruhiist

Post by zensunni »

I cried my eyes out watching this episode. A mixture of happy tears and sad tears. Happy because of how joyous the ending was, though I feel bad for Oka, since it does look like Linda is moving forward with her life now that Banri isn't waiting to hear her answer on the bridge anymore. Moving forward certainly implied that she was going to go call Mitsuo when she left the bridge, don't you think? And she certainly blushed prettily when he showed up in front of her at the club recruiting day.

The use of the mirrors and the shoes: She doesn't waste a thing when she writes a story, does she? Linda telling Banri that maybe the whole reason she bought those shoes for him was for this moment, so he could make it to the bridge before Kouko got back into her cab and left for Tokyo without knowing that her mirror had unlocked the cage of memory hiding in his brain was a particularly nice touch!

Linda's confession scene was both bizarre and touching. Yet I still feel that her "yes" was for the wrong reasons. I don't believe she really loves Banri the way that Kouko loves Banri. I don't believe she longs for him and feels that she isn't complete without him by her side. I think she didn't want to loose him because he is her dearest friend, but he does not, to use the tired old phrase, "complete her". Banri and Kouko do complete each other. I was a bit miffed that Banri didn't say "I love you" to Kouko in the episode. (If he did I missed it.) He told her that his heart would always look to her, which is a flowery way of saying it, but she repeated it over and over. Perhaps it is because she felt she had to make it clear to him, after having broken up with him so cruelly, that she knows she was wrong and will never leave him again?

Golden Time has earned the #3 spot on my all-time favorite anime series, displacing Toradora! The key that pushed it into that position and above most other romantic comedies is that it mostly deals with the relationship as an established fact, not the build up to it. It isn't about the longing for a partner to share your life, but about how to nurture and build your relationship once you have found that person. Well, that and the whole memory issue and loosing your sense of self. But that is part of growing a relationship too, is it not? When you are building a relationship that you want to keep and cherish for the rest of your life, it is essential that you alter your sense of self. You can no longer think and behave as an individual disconnected from others. You have to work toward thinking of yourself as being connected to your partner, as being two halves of one larger being that is even greater than the sum of its parts. Golden Time shows that time and again, as events conspire to form a rift between Kouko and Banri, frequently events that are caused by selfish behavior on the part of one or both of them. What brings them together and keeps them coming back is the feeling that they are not the same person without the other, and that the person they are when they are with their partner is a better, nicer, and more complete person.

The writing is fantastic. The visuals in the anime are very good, in terms of character design and character animation. The backgrounds are serviceable, with the strongest ones being the backgrounds around the wooden bridge. Tokyo is not as impressive. (For an example of what I consider impressive, see the Tokyo scenes in Hanasaku Iroha.)

I found the music to be wonderful. The various themes used tended to set the mood of the scenes very well. I loved that they used what I have always thought of as the "love theme" from Toradora! (The one that plays during the opening dualog with Ryuuji and Taiga) but there were other themes that were impact-full. The two different OP/ED combinations were extremely effective, with the more upbeat and peppy "Golden Time"/"Sweet & Sweet Cherry" in the early, heady days of romance, with the more somber "The♡World's♡End"/"Haneikyuu-teki ni Aishite yo♡" for the tumultuous second half of the season. It is hard to choose a favorite among the four, as they are all extremely good songs. Using "Golden Time" (the full version if I am not mistaken) as the music during the epilogue period of the final episode was a stroke of genius. It fit the improved, more upbeat mood of their love and everyone's happiness at Banri's recovery so well. However, I will have to admit that I didn't catch that it was the original OP until the 2nd time I watched it. That was a bit embarrassing. The only excuse I have is that the first time through my hearing was impaired by my uncontrollable tears and occasional heaving sobs as I rejoiced in the reunion of our two protagonists and mourned the fact that I will no longer be allowed to share in the lives of this special group of people each week, as they move off into the unwritten future and I move on to search for another group of fictional souls to fill the void left by the end of their fantastic story!

Only my very favorite stories leave me with this feeling of loss at the end of the series/book. I don't know if other people get so caught up in fictional characters as to feel sorrow when their story ends, but I have for years, if the story is good enough. Golden Time left me with a particularly strong reaction.
Now blogging at Nabe!!.
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

Manga chapter 31: It adapts almost the entire chapter 3 of light novel volume 4. Umechazuke left out just the scene in the end. He can finish the adaptation of novel volume 4 with the next manga chapter. This time he will finish an entire novel volume with just five manga chapters, one of which, 28, adapts the novel volume 4 prologue.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

FWIW, I have manga chapters 24 & 25 translated, but they are tied up in proof-reading, editing and so forth.
Gaim214
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gaim214 »

I wonder if Umechazuke is going to move up Banri and Kouko's first kiss to instead be after the "incident" at the club and their reconciliation in Banri's room? Chronologically, in both the LN and anime, it's supposed to happen in that scene in the rain, but it didn't in the manga. At least not visibly.
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

http://daioh.dengeki.com/blog/info/最新情報をいち早くお届け!%e3%80%80電撃大王建国20周年/

Dengeki Daioh will celebrate their 20th anniversary in their next issue, so they plan to have this on their cover:

Gaim214
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gaim214 »

Is that supposed to be Kouko next to Nika?
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Gaim214 wrote:Is that supposed to be Kouko next to Nika?
That was my guess, though obviously not done by the usual artist. In any case, it's "Niki"...
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

Gaim214
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gaim214 »

Just read the raw for Chapter 32 of the manga...and I think Umechazuke rushed the ending of volume 4 a little bit.

Some of the positives of the chapter:

- The lead up to the slap.

- The scene in Banri's apartment and Banri revealing the truth.

- That kiss :D .

- Kouko, apparently, putting Banri's hand on her chest potentially as part of her declaration of how much she loves him and wants to be with him.

- The final scene with Linda.

Now, as for what I thought could've been done better:

- The aftermath of the slap. Instead of getting to see Linda's reaction to Kouko showing up, and her and Banri realizing just how badly they messed up, we have Banri immediately leaving the club and seeing all the texts from Kouko. This is definitely something I'll give the anime over the manga, which is surprising.

- These are just some things that got cut out that I was looking forward to seeing: Kouko throwing the drink in Banri's face and posing in her volume four cover outfit at the end. The latter I'm particularly disappointed by since I really wanted to see Umechazuke's rendition of it, and I would've preferred seeing that then just ending on the scene with Linda. Though, again, these are just stuff I would have liked to have seen so I won't begrudge Umechazuke too much for not including them. But there's a chance that potentially the latter could still make it into the next chapter, though I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

The cover for the next tankobon:

l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

知らない映画のサントラを聴く(2014年9月 新潮文庫 〈新潮文庫nex〉)
Could it be a new series or is it a one-shot?
The third Toradora spin-off volume Takemiya created was released to commemorate the Year of the Tiger (2010) :) , so that might be the reason she didn't move directly to her next project back then. This time did she move directly to the next series?

Information from amazon.jp and Takemiya's Japanese wikipedia page, 作品リスト section:

この商品について
説明
これは恋か、贖罪か。 圧倒的恋愛小説。 錦戸枇杷。 23歳。 無職。 夜な夜な便所サンダルをひっかけて“泥棒”を捜す日々。 奪われたのは、親友からの贈り物。 あまりにも綺麗で、完璧で、姫君のような親友、清瀬朝野。 泥棒を追ううち、枇杷は朝野の元カレに出会い、気づけばコスプレ趣味のそいつと同棲していた……! 朝野を中心に揺れる、私とお前。 これは恋か、あるいは贖罪か。 無職女×コスプレ男子の圧倒的恋…
詳細
出版社:
新潮社
発売日:
2014/8/28
言語:
日本語
ページ数:
368 ページ
ISBN-10:
ISBN-13:
978-4101800028
Last edited by l.kostas on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Interesting. Not that I have any intention whatsoever of tackling this particular book (I have way too much on my plate as it is), from what little I see in the Amazon listing, it appears to be a one-shot, seinen not-very-light novel. It seems to be aimed at a slightly older demographic than Golden Time.

If it were intended to be a new series, it wouldn't make much sense for the first volume to be nearly 400 pages long. Normal light novels clock in at 200-250 pages, from what I've seen.

The title would be "Listening to an Unknown Soundtrack", or "Listening to the Soundtrack of a movie I don't know". The first rendering resembles the notion of "marching to a different drum", which would imply that the main character is somewhat of a free spirit.

It's in my shopping cart for my monthly order, for reference.
l.kostas
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by l.kostas »

The title is in English on the cover, "listen to the soundtrack of the movie which I don't know".

I just saw it was actually announced back in June:
https://twitter.com/shinchobunkonex/sta ... 5094929408
I look at a site that has the next Dengeki Bunko releases but this time it was another publisher:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/wannabenews/arc ... 06118.html
創刊100周年を迎える新潮社が「キャラクター」と「物語」の融合をかかげ、新たな文庫内レーベル『新潮文庫nex』の創刊を発表しました。
新潮文庫は今年9月で創刊100年を迎えます。この節目に、次世代ラインナップ「新潮文庫nex(ネックス)」の刊行を開始いたします! http://t.co/Poc27yHhDT
— 新潮文庫nex (@shinchobunkonex) 2014, 6月 24
次世代という印象はないけれど、直木賞作家、人気ライトノベル作家、気鋭のイラストレーターを揃えた豪華ラインナップです。
8月28日の創刊ラインナップは6作品。
Last edited by l.kostas on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “English”